Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alex H  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2021 14:57:40(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi. I am having to switch from N gauge to HO due to rubbish eyesight. On my new HO DCC layout I would like to use Marklin C track, but I have been told that if I do, I will be restricted as to what locomotive I can use.

Can. I just check if this is correct please - I had assumed that the Marklin C track worked as like other tracks (Peco, Hornby etc). I will be using my existing Roco Z controller

Many thanks

Alex
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2021 15:10:55(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Well, 'restricted' is relative.

If you use 3-rail track (which is what Märklin C and K track is) you have to use locos that are 3-rail locos.
The selection of 3-rail locos is enormous and is not limited to Märklin.

It is also certainly true that users of 2-rail track are restricted in what locos they can use, since they cannot use 3-rail locos.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2021 15:37:43(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If changing to HO and you wish to use the Marklin system then I would suggest you obtain a Marklin catalogue giving you information and what is available.
A Marklin start set is a good way to go. In order to obtain Marklin and other three rail items at a reasonable price you will need to buy from Germany. In my opinion there are no Marklin dealers in the UK worth trying to buy from as they have almost no stocks and the prices are too high.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2021 15:40:46(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
That is right.
But C track is really easy to work with and reliable.
If you want to use 2 rails you can use Trix C track wich is the same but without pikos.
Either way you can use DCC protocol and your Z21.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Alex H  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2021 16:08:40(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi everyone and thanks for the responses. I have already ordered a Marklin catalogue and await its arrival.

As my layout will be a brand new one, as will the majority of my locos be, then I am happy to use 3 rail track as users seems to be praising its reliability. Given that I am restricted to 2.4m x 1.1m area I was intending to go for German locos era I and II as they tend to be smaller which will suit some of the tighter curves I have.

My one concern is that I have two sentimental locos which are now my grandsons. One is a Hornby Flying Scotsman and the other is a Thomas the Engine loco. These will be converted to DCC but I need to be sure that these will run on the new layout

I also agree about pricing in the UK - most of my N gauge rolling stock came from suppliers in Germany.

Regards
Online marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2021 19:06:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone and thanks for the responses. I have already ordered a Marklin catalogue and await its arrival.

As my layout will be a brand new one, as will the majority of my locos be, then I am happy to use 3 rail track as users seems to be praising its reliability. Given that I am restricted to 2.4m x 1.1m area I was intending to go for German locos era I and II as they tend to be smaller which will suit some of the tighter curves I have.

My one concern is that I have two sentimental locos which are now my grandsons. One is a Hornby Flying Scotsman and the other is a Thomas the Engine loco. These will be converted to DCC but I need to be sure that these will run on the new layout

I also agree about pricing in the UK - most of my N gauge rolling stock came from suppliers in Germany.

Regards

Be advised if you buy from Germany you must send it back there for warranty service. At least for us in the USA. The shipping rates aslo don't make it worth usually buying from accross the pond. Marklin has a new US office, warehouse, and parts distributor in Missourri.
Offline Copenhagen  
#7 Posted : 21 February 2021 19:24:12(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post

Regards

That could pose a problem (making the locomotives run on 3-rail). Hopefully someone can give you a detailed answer.
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 21 February 2021 20:16:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I doubt Hornby will run on three rail. Maybe with some work on the loco but I have not heard of anybody doing that.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 21 February 2021 20:58:05(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
some Hornby was three rail, if it has power pickup on the underside - then it is 3-rail.

If not, conversion will be needed. The alternative would be to place them on a short length of 2-rail track in a train depot/museum - i.e. not connected to the main 3-rail loop track. If they have been digitised, you will be able to control them digitally using the same controller at the same time.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline ocram63_uk  
#10 Posted : 21 February 2021 23:20:55(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I had a Hornby Mallard converted to Marklin as well as others, Roco, Lima, Rivarossi, that I converted myself. I had a Flying Scotsman too but never got to convert it as I had lost interest by that time. Some 2-rail manufacturers sell locos already made for 3-rail, Roco is one of them
HTH