Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DSupra2  
#1 Posted : 01 December 2020 15:13:51(UTC)
DSupra2

United States   
Joined: 11/07/2020(UTC)
Posts: 23
Location: New Jersey, Middletown
Hi,

Here is another WIP diorama. It will be loosely based on this pic.
UserPostedImage

Busch actually has this beautiful house in HO scale, part number 1656. Unfortunately, its price is well beyond my budget. So I substitute the building with Busch 1533.

Started with the bridge the house sits on. The frame was made from balsa wood. The arches under the bridge were cardboards hot glued in place.
UserPostedImage

Busch 1533, airbrushed with two parts orange and one part yellow. Very happy with the quality of the kit.
UserPostedImage

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by DSupra2
Offline DSupra2  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2020 17:15:15(UTC)
DSupra2

United States   
Joined: 11/07/2020(UTC)
Posts: 23
Location: New Jersey, Middletown
I covered the bridge with gesso to seal as well as to add texture to the surfaces. Various shade of grays were painted and blended using wet on wet method.

UserPostedImage

For the river embankment walls I used Kibri random cut stone sheet. First the cut stone received a light gray coat. Then I randomly painted various shade of browns and grays. Once dries, I gave it a light dust wash (Mig pigment dissolved with water).

UserPostedImage

Dark brown wash was then filled in the crevices, followed by random vertical streaking of dirty green.
UserPostedImage

Next is to prepare the diorama base.



thanks 8 users liked this useful post by DSupra2
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2020 19:07:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 5,729
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: DSupra2 Go to Quoted Post

For the river embankment walls I used Kibri random cut stone sheet. First the cut stone received a light gray coat. Then I randomly painted various shade of browns and grays. Once dries, I gave it a light dust wash (Mig pigment dissolved with water).
...
Dark brown wash was then filled in the crevices, followed by random vertical streaking of dirty green.
...


I like the way these have come out, they really do look the part. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Offline DSupra2  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2021 23:18:53(UTC)
DSupra2

United States   
Joined: 11/07/2020(UTC)
Posts: 23
Location: New Jersey, Middletown
Hi kiwiAlan,

Thanks for checking in. Progress update...

Base is Lowes insulation board. Top layer is made from packaging Styrofoam. The plastic bridge is from Auhagen. I covered the top part of the bridge wtih Auhagen tiles sheet.
UserPostedImage

Roman cobblestone were painted with alcohol markers. They will receive pigments and washes later.
UserPostedImage

Concrete tiles are plastic styrene. Patterns were scribed onto the surface. I used 3 shade of greys to paint the tiles.
UserPostedImage

The upper left corner will be dirt patches.
UserPostedImage


thanks 7 users liked this useful post by DSupra2
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2021 00:24:36(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Joined: 05/12/2004(UTC)
Posts: 3,058
Location: CA, USA
Fantastic work! Especially the tiles....
FS + SBB Era 2-5 and Vintage Marklin
Offline DSupra2  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2021 16:14:47(UTC)
DSupra2

United States   
Joined: 11/07/2020(UTC)
Posts: 23
Location: New Jersey, Middletown
Hi 5HorizonsRR,
Glad you like the finish on the tiles. More progress updates. Built a newsstand from styrene. It received a quick spray can of tan color, followed by random washes of browns and grey/black.

UserPostedImage

Once dried for 24 hours, I airbrushed AK heavy chipping fluid. Let it dried for 10-15 min. Then airbrushed dark red brown color. I did the chipping with a wet stiff brush.

UserPostedImage


Roof was covered with HO scale tar papers.
UserPostedImage

The guard rail concert posts were also made from styrene. I filed the top to shape before spraying it with Rust-oleum texture paint, then painted them with Woodland Scenic concrete color. Next I used a lime green alcohol markers and randomly painted tiny dots and quickly blended them with a brush wetted with alcohol.

UserPostedImage

Repeated the steps with brown color.

UserPostedImage

These will receive some dry brushing later.

UserPostedImage


Time for figures painting.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DSupra2
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2021 18:25:54(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,643
that weathered wood is fantastic! Well done!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline DSupra2  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2021 19:38:41(UTC)
DSupra2

United States   
Joined: 11/07/2020(UTC)
Posts: 23
Location: New Jersey, Middletown

Hi Dale, Thanks for the kind words.

Figures are done.
UserPostedImage

Scratch built a beer booth from styrene
UserPostedImage

Town must have... BigGrin
UserPostedImage

Commit to the base
UserPostedImage


thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DSupra2
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.628 seconds.