Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2021 12:16:26(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Now I know we have Covid, Xmas, Brexit, that slow boat from China plus a bit of weather but on both the M website and the usual dealers we have the yellow dot or the silver dot which means we aint got none wait a bit please. This appears to range for everything I look at from a turnout motor to a CS3. If you find something it is either over priced or a dodgy dealer. I hope that is not a major problem with M? Any ideas?
Offline auntmartha  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2021 12:25:50(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
the supply chain is only as strong as the weakest link

place an order at your favorite dealer and wait it out

I would def. warn against buying from no-name sellers

if you really REALLY need something;
better contact like-minded on a forum or club
Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Bien cordialement
Mr. Christian Vinaa
http://www.vinaa.dk/trains
...... Meanwhile, aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the woods,
is lying in a ditch at the edge of town .........................
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2021 12:45:31(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Patience is a virtue. There are sellers scalping everything from hobby items to exercise equipment, but not all are. The Marklin site still said no stock on CS3+ last I looked, but I found one. Decent price too, not $879 US like some are asking. It's a shop in Witchita Falls Texas. They have a good inventory of a lot. I have C track en route currently. The owner is very knowlegable and has youtube tutorials. They reply promplty to email questions. They also have an apparel shop and website, so they are diversified and not only relying on trains for income.
You can also contact Marklin USA in Jefferson Mo. if you are in the US and ask if they have stock on an item. They will even ship it direct, but the price is likely full m.s.r.p. For parts, I don't know if dealers even discount, on say ex. motor brushes.
Offline Copenhagen  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2021 14:57:44(UTC)
Copenhagen

What about conrad.com? Never bought from them but they seem to have Märklin stuff - including CS3 and +.
The website also refers to sending to the UK: https://help.conrad.com/...ppened-to-Conrad-UK-Ltd-
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2021 15:17:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
What about conrad.com? Never bought from them but they seem to have Märklin stuff - including CS3 and +.
The website also refers to sending to the UK: https://help.conrad.com/...ppened-to-Conrad-UK-Ltd-
I see their adds all the time!They are in the UK. Prices reasonable, but shipping from UK to USA is expensive like from Europe. Maybe better for you though.
Had a less than good experience with an Amazon purchase from Germany last fall. The seller e mailed our daughter that he was sending her a tracking number, but did not. Menawhile he got paid by Amazon. The package never arrived, so she complained to Amazon and got a refund.
Also Amazon revieers give poor marks for Marklin of UK items. Never in stock, or never ship, but at least they don't charge you.
If you happen to orfer from the states, there is also a shop in Miami Forida with good inventories and pricing. Micro Macro Mundo. Sometimes their site search result is Roco USA. They still even have some (new) locomotives from as far back as 2011 in stock. Some are insider models and MHI. The one in Texas I like is AJC kids. Annie, Charlie, Belle, and Guy.
When I accidentally ordered separate orders for items on the same day, they combined them into one shipping fee. I ordered statr-up C track end buffer/bumpers and they substitued the others as they are a bit nicer, same price.
Offline Rwill  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2021 15:40:28(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   

I think you are having a larf

CS 3 60226 Conrad 715 Euros plus 20 Euros shipping - MSL 584 Euros less 4% plus shipping 10 Euros

Turnout Motor 74491 Conrad 22 Euros -MSL 18 Euros less 4% OUT of STOCK at both suppliers

I think responses so far are missing the point. Looking at the Marklin Website and the major dealers there are lots of things out of stock at the moment end of.
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2021 16:11:20(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Of course there are items in short supply. Thursday last when I ordered track they still had turnout motord in stock. I didn't order any. I have early C track turnouts made with the BASF plastic that brittles and cracks. Installing individual decoders also costs more. If I decide to power them later I will use M83's. Thtya way I can also use my analog M track turnouts. I only have 8 total thus far. Two M83 decoders will suffice. Perhaps 3 for a few signals in addition to. A fellow in Stuttgart has 4 running off track power with no problems.
I should aslo mention my error in stating Marklin UK on Amazon. The seller was Amazon UK. Also worth noting is the US dollar is devalued to the British quid (pound) and also the Euro. So there is an exchange rate charge. I think 100 euros is about $130 US. More for UK pounds.
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2021 16:26:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Maerklin is moving it's warehouse from Göppingen to a Simba-Dickie facility, which should help improve their inventory management. In the meantime and due to covid restrictions, shipments are very limited. This has been addressed on various forums. Hopefully it will soon get back on track in the near future.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Rwill  
#9 Posted : 15 February 2021 17:38:10(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Thanks Mike C.

Your reply "makes sense" of the issue that was concerning me.
Offline Copenhagen  
#10 Posted : 15 February 2021 18:00:13(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

I think you are having a larf

CS 3 60226 Conrad 715 Euros plus 20 Euros shipping - MSL 584 Euros less 4% plus shipping 10 Euros

Turnout Motor 74491 Conrad 22 Euros -MSL 18 Euros less 4% OUT of STOCK at both suppliers

I think responses so far are missing the point. Looking at the Marklin Website and the major dealers there are lots of things out of stock at the moment end of.

Conrad uses the same prices as Maerklin.de - at least for the CS3 models. In Germany it's 649 euros for the CS3 and 799 for the plus.
Offline Rwill  
#11 Posted : 15 February 2021 18:21:38(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   

Conrad uses the same prices as Maerklin.de - at least for the CS3 models. In Germany it's 649 euros for the CS3 and 799 for the plus.

So what's this then ?

https://www.conrad.com/s...6&searchType=regular
Offline Copenhagen  
#12 Posted : 15 February 2021 19:21:30(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

So what's this then ?

https://www.conrad.com/s...6&searchType=regular

I'd call it steep!
I only looked at the German site:
https://www.conrad.de/de...dcc-mfx-mfx-1415898.html
Offline Rwill  
#13 Posted : 15 February 2021 19:55:26(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I used to use Conrad a few years ago when I tinkered with a few "electronics" projects. They have just gone from my possible suppliers for anything list. I've a good mind to write to Ursula about them but she would just shrug her shoulders.
Offline auntmartha  
#14 Posted : 15 February 2021 22:03:13(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
yeah - new (Schuco) warehouse in Sonneberg, where Marklin had a factory shortly after the german unification

dont know if a new warehouse 250 km away will solve everything

perhaps more speedy delivery of off-the-shelf items

but if the facts giving during a werk 1 tour are correct Märklin is already doing a lotta
transporting items to and from various factories

all those grey boxes ! seems very in-efficient

and a warehouse is only good if you stock items there and märklin isnt
in the business of producing for a warehouse AFAIK

and no; Märklin cannot blame it all on Corona
delivery problems has been an issue for the past 2 years
or so i am told

but what would Märklin be without delivery problems

in the good old days a german dealer got almost a container full of starter sets
delivered mid-january - had he gotten them 1,5 month earlier he could have
sold them all during christmas trade
Mr. Christian Vinaa
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 16 February 2021 06:28:34(UTC)
Goofy

Märklins Yellow dots are result of lockdown due to covid-19. It takes longer time before they ship out products.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 16 February 2021 08:25:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Märklins Yellow dots are result of lockdown due to covid-19. It takes longer time before they ship out products.
Do you have inside information or are you just guessing?

Due to Covid-19 the demand for MRR products is increased and this can lead to delays.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline ocram63_uk  
#17 Posted : 16 February 2021 08:40:16(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
thank God Marklin isn't a life saving device!!! We would be extinct otherwise. In the meantime to keep us happy
we have COVID which is the cause for all the other issues we have in the world, more important I believe
:-) This is satire :-)
Offline Goofy  
#18 Posted : 16 February 2021 09:23:12(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Do you have inside information or are you just guessing?

Due to Covid-19 the demand for MRR products is increased and this can lead to delays.

Märklin told to me about lockdown and that´s way severals products are late too.

H0
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 16 February 2021 09:28:40(UTC)
H0

Märklin told to me about lockdown and that´s way severals products are late too.
Märklin told the press that lockdown and high demand lead to delays.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 16 February 2021 10:44:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I guess 'High Demand' is a good problem for Marklin, Lockdowns not so much!
Offline Goofy  
#21 Posted : 16 February 2021 17:23:26(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Märklin told the press that lockdown and high demand lead to delays.

Märklin is a symbiosis with other business activities that are in need.
Such as zinc, plastic and paint to be able to manufacture their models.
But other companies are also affected by restrictions whose production may suffer less product production as a result.
Products are therefore delayed.
It is lockdown in the business due to covid-19.
Märklin personal do feel same way.

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Rwill  
#22 Posted : 16 February 2021 19:22:48(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
When I started the topic I had something on my mind but I cant recall the exact details. About twenty- thirty years ago there was a major electrical appliance manufacturer, well respected across the world. Yet about this time of year shops started to be "out of stock" of most of the products and there were none coming through from the factory. And then one morning they went broke and shup up shop for ever. Trouble is I cant remember who it was. I now take on board the issue which I had not picked up on about M moving the warehouse compounded by the other major issues present in the world. Its just that M dealers seem to adopt different business models. We have some who concentrate on new items, high volume staples and do not keep a vast inventory of items. They are also very keen on pricing and provide good after sales service Their website is currently one everlasting silver dot. Other dealers seem to have new items plus a vast array of back catalogue items - all brand new and sometime bargains other times "standard pricing". And we have sellers who specialize in end of production and past production items usually at good prices. I use all three types but for a purchase of high value items eg CS3 I need to trust the dealer that I get a fresh product, will get help if problems and warranty is needed.
Offline marklinist5999  
#23 Posted : 16 February 2021 20:17:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
It would be sad if Marklin closed up shop! There are other avenues, like mergers as with Fleischmann/Roco. Kingsbridge I suppose could have bankrupted it. Thankfully Symba-Dickie bough them.
Here we though we might lose Chrysler/Jeep under Cerberus ownership after Daimler AG sold it to them. Thank's to Fiat it is thriving. They are releasing a new "niche" market Grand Wagoneer very shortly with 3 row seating for 7 or 8. It's price tops out loaded at about six figures. The first new auto plant in Detroit is well under way to completion for Jeep products, very near the Jefferson assy. and north facilities on the cities mid-lower east side. So you see, can't means won't in some cases. That area will also see trickle down growth from the plant. About 6,000 new jobs.
The Chic-Filet fast food chain began accross from the now demolished Ford plant in Hapeville, Georgia. Now they have locations here. You never know waht steady income person could become a customer, or a new hobbyist. Granted the internet and web shopping killed many hobby brick and mortar shops.
But hands on sight, sound, and touch are still the mainstay. Designs may be done virtually, with computers, but it's to make a tangible product.
If I were younger, and willing to risk some income for space rent and inventory, I might consider that venture. I would also be divorced if I did. Too close to retirement age. I alreasy have, so time is not a problem, but my retirtement benefit is not huge, yet more than many get.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#24 Posted : 17 February 2021 03:14:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
It would be sad if Marklin closed up shop! .......

Agreed. From my experience as a model train enthusiast I see their products overall the best there is. I am talking Europe, US, UK. I am not saying other brands are no good. Most are excellent.
But as to the present dilemma I think Goofy has summed it up precisely. Manufacturing is a balance of logistics - both sourcing and distribution.
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#25 Posted : 17 February 2021 15:49:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: auntmartha Go to Quoted Post
yeah - new (Schuco) warehouse in Sonneberg, where Marklin had a factory shortly after the german unification

dont know if a new warehouse 250 km away will solve everything

Well, if it means freeing up space at the factory for more production area then maybe it will solve some of the problems.

The stuff needs to be warehoused somewhere as it comes off the production line, so if it can be shipped elsewhere immediately after production as a 'job lot' then that has to help the production facility. I would also assume that all production from Hungary would be going to the same warehouse, where previously it would have gone to Goppingen for distribution, so that would be even more space freed up for extra production area.

And then there is the shipping to retailers, as more retailers do seem to be becoming sellers of other items in the Simba-Dickie portfolio it would presumably help if all product lines can be aggregated into one shipment.
Offline auntmartha  
#26 Posted : 17 February 2021 17:04:42(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
Well - the last times I visited the WERK 1 there were several empty floors and I simply could not get the math to work as to how they could produce at least all H0 loks there.
I am not claiming that the WERK 1 is a potemkim thing but it sure feels like it.
Having said that - anything that can help M delivering ON TIME gets my vote.
Mr. Christian Vinaa