Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biswasg  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2021 18:01:01(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
I have an offer to buy a Maerklin 3050 in good condition for around US$ 50. I am wondering what would it need and how much would it cost to upgrade to a Maerklin digital, if I do it myself.
Being a bit of DIY, I wanted to try my hand at it, but not sure if it is worth or if I will be able to do it. Any guidance will be helpful.
Gautam
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2021 18:46:22(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
50 USD for a Märklin 3050 in good condition is quite attractive, in particular if the locomotive comes with original box.

To convert the loco for digital use, you would need the Märklin motor update kit 60944, costing about 25 EUR, and a digital decoder. A basic decoder from Märklin would be the model 60983, costing about 35 EUR.

Only you can judge if this expense is worth it. A similar natively digital locomotive can be bought for about 150 EUR from eBay.

The job is not difficult with some soldering skills. Mine are very limited and I can still do it.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2021 23:23:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
The question is: how far do you want to go with the conversion, my 3050 doesn't exist any longer as it wasn't the right length (shortened version), my conversion of locos started when the digital system was introduced by Märklin (1984) and since than I've upgraded locos with the latest decoders (ESU), I started off with 6080, 60901,ESU okpilot 1, lokpilot 2, lokpilot 3, lokpilot 4, sound decoder V 3.5. sound version V4.0 and now sound version 5

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline biswasg  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2021 03:55:54(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
50 USD for a Märklin 3050 in good condition is quite attractive, in particular if the locomotive comes with original box.

To convert the loco for digital use, you would need the Märklin motor update kit 60944, costing about 25 EUR, and a digital decoder. A basic decoder from Märklin would be the model 60983, costing about 35 EUR.

Only you can judge if this expense is worth it. A similar natively digital locomotive can be bought for about 150 EUR from eBay.

The job is not difficult with some soldering skills. Mine are very limited and I can still do it.

Thanks Martti M for the answer.
I have basic soldering skills and enjoy doing DIY.
Unfortunately, it doesn't come with the original box!

I have a few follow up questions:
1. If I would like to add sound, basic ones.
2. Will I also need to alter/add lights to change when forward/reverse motion is chosen.

Gautam
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2021 05:54:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
There are no basic sounds, they are all full sound decoders, to change the lights the best way is to buy an globe insert but than again there is the option touse the Swiss light system 3 front, 1 rear

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline biswasg  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2021 06:23:24(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
There are no basic sounds, they are all full sound decoders, to change the lights the best way is to buy a globe insert but then again there is the option to use the Swiss light system 3 front, 1 rear

John

Thanks, John. This means, then I am looking at a $100+ option for either the Marklin or ESU solution. For the lights, I would prefer to go for the Swiss light system.
Gautam
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2021 06:24:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
There are no basic sounds, they are all full sound decoders...

Yer what???

The decoder MarttiM referred to is the mLD3, which has no sound. Biswasg's follow up question was in the context of that decoder.

Some but not all of the 639 decoders you mentioned have sound, specifically the Loksound 4 and 5 decoders.

I'd suggest Biswasg looks at the 60977 mSD3 decoder, which has sounds for a generic electric lok sound. Failing that, any of the mSD3 decoders will work OK - 60975, 60976 and 60977 if you have access to a CS2 / CS3 and can use them to upload the specific sound file for the Ae6/6 overwriting the generic steam, diesel or electric sounds of those decoders.

(https://www.maerklin.de/de/servi...r-mldmsd/elektro-sounds/)

Failing that, by all means go for an ESU Loksound 5.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2021 19:32:47(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
If you wish to have sounds, then the direction suggested by Bigdaddynz is proper. An investment well over 100 EUR is to be expected.

Märklin has quite a few digital versions of Ae 6/6 representing the locomotive as it appeared during various eras III - VI. At least the most recent one, 39364, has full sounds. This loco is likely to be quite expensive, 300+ EUR.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2021 23:57:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you want to have a few more options, you might be better getting a 1990s Ae 6/6 which was rendered in exact scale (pretty much) and had Swiss light changeover.
You can search for the following models:

3336, 3337, 3338, 3339, 3636, 3737, 3739, 37366, 37360, 37361, 37362, 37363, 39361, 39363, 39364
There were also models from the 29814, 29850, 29680 and a few other start sets.

I don't know if any of the newer models have had the bulbs replaced by LEDs.

Converting a 3050 to Swiss lighting would require that you take out the bulb and replace it with LEDs.
One of the nice things I remember about the 3050 was that the original model had milled light channels, which focused the light transmitted into what resembles an actual headlight beam, unlike the diffused light of many newer models. The 1990s Ae 6/6 was not bad in this regard. Some of the newer (Traxx, Vectron, etc) fail in this regard.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline biswasg  
#10 Posted : 20 January 2021 20:54:57(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Received my 3050 by post today. Should receive the 60944 and 60983 tomorrow. Hopefully, will try the conversion this weekend.
Opened up the body today

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Looking at all of you to help, if I get stuck :-)
Gautam
Offline Crazy Harry  
#11 Posted : 20 January 2021 22:18:05(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Looks to be in good shape. There seems to be a switch or something non-original with the "Tempo" label. Here is the exploded view of your model from Marklin's website:

dbf137f4acbd741fd0a4a3580b27cd071434541800.pdf (166kb) downloaded 36 time(s).

Good luck with the conversion, you have the right parts.

Cheers,

Harold.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline ktsolias  
#12 Posted : 21 January 2021 10:00:00(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

For the conversion you need

1. 60944 motor (variation 2, rotor with 8 teethes)

2. 60972 decoder without sound

OR

3. 60977 decoder with sound

4. Better to use 5mm WW LEDs for the lights with a 1kΩ resistor for each LED

Is a relatively easy conversion

Good luck

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 24 January 2021 16:47:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: biswasg Go to Quoted Post
Received my 3050 by post today.

UserPostedImage

)

At first glance, a couple of things stood out...

1) The headlights are not the standard bulb that these locomotives came with. These have been altered/changed

2) The Tempo sticker and contraption is not OEM equipment. I cannot tell from the photo what that was designed for. Somebody has already altered the model, which might make conversion more complex.

It would be relatively easy to replace the bulbs with LEDs. If you want to add functions like Swiss light changeover or red taillight, you would need to modify the model so that multiple LEDs can be installed on each end. You would need to modify the light channel so that the lower left (from the cab) light is separate for the Swiss taillight function and the light is not transmitted to the other headlights. It might be easiest to install a dual white/red behind each headlight lens,
The light channels have been milled to focus the light into a beam. It is important that whatever changes you make do not eliminate this very nice feature.

It is also VERY IMPORTANT that you maintain that piece of tape on top of the motor assembly. This is needed as there was a tendency with this model for the top of the motor block to contact the lead for the pantographs and the metal roof, which could cause a short. My model (1971) did not come with this and the problem was solved in-house with the tape installed instead on the underside of the shell.

Regards

Mike C
Offline biswasg  
#14 Posted : 31 January 2021 11:18:35(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Finally, after a gap of many weeks, I am back on the workbench to install the decoder. And I realize, I could do with some help.

1. Current status: installed the new motor and have soldered the two resistors. Bush still to be installed.

UserPostedImage

2. The 60983 comes with a connector with 8 wires connected to it. As the motor does not have a corresponding connector, my understanding is that I should unsolder the eight wires from the connector and connect directly to the motor, ground, and to the lights.

UserPostedImage

3. On page 22 of the manual, a comparison of NEM and Maerklin colors is given. Based on the colours of the wires, it appears that they are NEM standard and the connection is accordingly.

4.As Mike C had noted, the previous owner had made some changes, one of them seems to be a change in the original light to an LED. There is one black wire running between the front and rear LED. I should just connect the light wires to the LED. Seems there is a resistor already installed, but hidden under a black shrunk sleeve.

I would appreciate it if someone can clarify points 2, 3 and 4.

Edited by user 31 January 2021 17:56:02(UTC)  | Reason: Added images and point 3

Gautam
Offline biswasg  
#15 Posted : 02 February 2021 16:14:32(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Finally, after a gap of many weeks, I am back on the workbench to install the decoder. And I realize, I could do with some help.

1. Current status: installed the new motor and have soldered the two resistors. Bush still to be installed.

UserPostedImage

2. The 60983 comes with a connector with 8 wires connected to it. As the motor does not have a corresponding connector, my understanding is that I should unsolder the eight wires from the connector and connect directly to the motor, ground, and to the lights.

UserPostedImage

3. On page 22 of the manual, a comparison of NEM and Maerklin colors is given. Based on the colours of the wires, it appears that they are NEM standard and the connection is accordingly.

4.As Mike C had noted, the previous owner had made some changes, one of them seems to be a change in the original light to an LED. There is one black wire running between the front and rear LED. I should just connect the light wires to the LED. Seems there is a resistor already installed, but hidden under a black shrunk sleeve.

I would appreciate it if someone can clarify points 2, 3 and 4.

Hoping someone to read and reply
Gautam
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 02 February 2021 16:31:22(UTC)
H0

Re 1: The green thingies are chokes, not resistors.
Re 2&3: The 60972 would have been a better choice in my humble opinion as it comes with a decoder board. The 60983 actually uses NEM colours. Just cut off the plug if the cables are long enough. From ESU and others you can get 8-pin sockets for that type of decoder so you can replace the decoder easily.
Re 4: Difficult to tell, but if the lights worked before and you didn't remove any resistors then most likely things will be OK. Check the polarity of the LEDs as the decoder feeds them with DC. With analogue operation they got AC and polarity did not matter.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline biswasg  
#17 Posted : 10 February 2021 22:41:02(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Sorry guys, I could do with some help again.
Soldered all wires as per instruction manual.
Put it on a test track powered by CS3+.
It appeared that the CS3 recorded the loco but said as address 3 was taken would I like to keep the address same or choose another one. I chose another address.
Then no further action while trying to give acceleration or switch on lights. Checked connections all OK

After some tries, connected the track to the Program connection on CS3, the loco started moving with the front light on.
But when I connect it to the normal power connection on the CS3+ there is still no response.

I know, I am missing a step, but what I cant understand.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Gautam
Offline biswasg  
#18 Posted : 11 February 2021 21:26:01(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Sorry guys, I could do with some help again.
Soldered all wires as per instruction manual.
Put it on a test track powered by CS3+.
It appeared that the CS3 recorded the loco but said as address 3 was taken would I like to keep the address same or choose another one. I chose another address.
Then no further action while trying to give acceleration or switch on lights. Checked connections all OK

After some tries, connected the track to the Program connection on CS3, the loco started moving with the front light on.
But when I connect it to the normal power connection on the CS3+ there is still no response.

I know, I am missing a step, but what I cant understand.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Everything is working fine now. Not sure what had gone wrong. I seem to be trying to add another loco and had not realized that one had automatically been created, the image and type of loco needed to be aligned.

Thank you all for all your help in this process.

Edited by user 12 February 2021 17:59:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gautam