Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline IBtrain  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2020 06:29:16(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
[img=https://imgur.com/f5bYii8]Sensor track placement[/img]

Hi
This is my first time posting with pictures so I hope I have done it correctly.

I have finally come to a time in my life when I have the space and the time to setup a layout again. BigGrin
We have returned to Canada, purchased a house and are in the process of painting, unpacking and minor renovations. Plus I’ll be getting a train room. The space is still being used for storage but soon I hope to have everything moved out and work on the train room can begin.

I have not had a digital layout yet so over the past years I’ve been doing a lot of research on the subject, however I find that I learn more by doing, and asking questions.
I have been able to etch out a little space between the moving boxes for some test tracks so I made two small ovals using C track. I have an ECoS 50200 command station, I use Rocrail for computer control, and I’ll be using k track when I build my layout.
I am thrilled that I have been able to connect the ECoS to the tracks, load Loks into the ECoS software and then control them. Then I connected the switches (turnouts) and could control them via the ECos. After that I worked on connecting the ECoS to my laptop via a cross-over cable and control everything with the laptop. It took a bit of time but I worked out the addressing of the switches between the ECoS and Rocrail.
Next was connecting the s88 feedback sensors. Than turned out OK and now I have the sensors working both on the ECoS and in Rocrail, but what I have a problem with is the physical length of the sensor track and the placement of the tracks.
I am use 2 sensors per block, in Rocrail an “Enter” and an “In” sensor.

First, I took a piece of C track ~18cm long, turned it upside down, on one side I cut the metal clip that electrically connects both rails to each other, flipped it right side up and cut one rail in half (9cm), now half of the track on one side was isolated from the rest of the rails, this I used as a sensor for the s88.
I noticed that in the ECoS, depending on the speed of the Lok, the sensor would not always indicate when an axle would make a connection between the two rails, however it seemed that Rocrail would register the connection.
I do not know if this would cause intermittent problems later on, so I decided to use a full length of track (18cm) for a sensor.
Does anyone have experiences or recommendation on how long sensor tracks should be?

The next issue I have is the placing of the sensor tracks. At first, I had the half sensor tracks right next to the switches (turnouts), but most of the time the Loks would pass the sensor and stop on the switch. This is not what I wanted. So, I rotated the half sensor track and this way I had half a length of track (9cm) between the sensor and the switch. This helped, but some Loks would still pass the sensor section and stop on the switch, especially Loks that had traction tires (rubber on the wheels) on both wheels on one side of a bogie. No connection would be made until the other bogie got to the sensor track. When I used the full length of track (18cm) as a sensor, I placed a normal section of track (18cm) between the switch and the sensor track, this helped in most situations with the exception of Loks that have an adjustable deceleration. I find that the Lok would cross the “enter” sensor of the block slow to mid speed, then once reaching the “in” sensor the Lok would start to slow down and depending on the deceleration setting still end up on the switch. I do not want turn the deceleration feature off, it is so nice to watch a TEE or ICE or whatever trains your running to slowly come to a stop instead of having an abrupted stop.
What are your best practices on placing your sensor track to get the results that you want? What mistakes have you made or what would you do differently next time in the placing of your sensor tracks.

I look forward to any input you may have.

[img=https://imgur.com/9fZVbk6]short sensor[/img]
This is one of the short sensors next to a switch.
[img=https://imgur.com/PXFsh8Q]short sensor away from switch[/img]
Here is a half track ~9cm between the sensor and the switch.
[img=https://imgur.com/DezB7iB]Long sensor[/img]
Here is a full piece of track used as a sensor.

Edited by user 05 December 2021 05:58:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Marklin K-track, Ecos 50200, RocRail
Offline IBtrain  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2020 06:57:26(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
I believe I have the correct links now for adding photos.

s88 sensor placement
Image of short sensor tracks with half track spacing from the switch (turnout).

short sensor near switch
this is a short sensor track next to the switch.
short sensor with space away from switch
Here the isolated track is about 9 cm away from the switch.
long sensor track
here I have used a full length of track as a sensor track.

Thanks,
Kai

Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2020 07:32:12(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: IBtrain Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have experiences or recommendation on how long sensor tracks should be?

It’s great that you have started on the digital journey!

On my previous layout I used very long sensor tracks, however, implementing computer software control I’ve found that this isn’t really required. The software keeps track of where the trains are. The only real advantage of having sensor tracks ”everywhere” is IMHO that you can track lost cars.

In my experience, sensor tracks can be very short. However, if a sensor track is connected to a turnout, it should more or less have at least the length of your longest locomotive: Some engines have traction tires on e.g. all wheels at the front bogie, and if the sensor track is too short it could happen that the engine passes the track and enters the turnout before stopping...

Cool

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline French_Fabrice  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2020 09:03:53(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Kai,

In addition to what PeFu already said, I would say:

-For an "Enter" sensor (in Rocrail wording), 9 cm is enough. What is detected is the 1st rising edge of the S88 signal
-For an "In" sensor, 18cm provides enough room for safety. You can have a shorter detection area (i.e. 9cm), but it will depends of the loco speed when it gets into the "In" area, and the setting of the "decrease rate speed" CV of the decoder

Warning: if your block is bidirectional, then both sensors should be 18cm long, as "Enter" and "In" are swapped.

These lengths are for "ground" detection S88 systems (S88AC or equivalent).

If you use "current consumption detection" (i.e. S88DC or equivalent), you must take into account where the slider of the loco is placed, to compute the right length. For most electric or diesel locos, the slider is at the front, so it is roughly the same as for "ground" detection, but some steamers have the slider below the tender, so another 18cm additional length should be used for "In" sensor.
Current detection is much more reliable than ground detection, but it has some drawbacks...

Warning: this is for a computer controlled Layout only !

Have fun
Fabrice

Offline Tie  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2020 20:23:14(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Hi.
I am quite new to this hobby. But for 3 years I have constructed a layout of 2by 4 meters. Train are run by cs3. I have put a sensor also in the middle of all visible blocks. I use the middle once to slow/increase speed, sounds, smoke etc. I also in cs3 set the sensor as occupied prior to train arrival to the sensor. This makes it possible to set the cs3 to react when the sensor change from occupied to free. I.e. Nothing happens before the last wagon leaves the sensor. And here is my point. This only work if the sensor track is longer than the distance between the wheels on the cars.
Also: the more sensors the more possibilities for future ideas.
Regards
Thor Inge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2020 00:26:16(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
You will find varying opinions on these questions. I discuss sensor positioning here:

https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2006/11/computer-control.html
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline morsing  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2020 08:45:57(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
[...]
[...]

Long!

I'm just in the process of lengthening all my sensor tracks as I had only made them about 30-35cm. This meant that to not over-shoot in to the point or next block, the trains had to crawl through the block.

Not sure why you want such short sensor sections. Your layout is quite small though, so maybe space is an issue, but I would still make them longer than 18cm.

Regards,
Henrik

-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline IBtrain  
#8 Posted : 08 December 2020 06:54:38(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
Hi guys, thanks for all the feed back.

PeFu, yes that is the problem I was running into during my testing, some of the Loks would go past the sensor track until the rear bogie made contact with the sensor track due to the fact that the front bogie had rubber tires on one side. It is obvious now, but sometimes (talking about myself here) the obvious only gets realized when putting paper to pen or in this case train to track.
That is a good rule of thumb for the positioning of the sensors, having a space the length of the longest Lok between the switch and the sensor. This will solve the problem of the Lok which has rubber wheels on the front bogie. However, it does not solve the issue with Loks that have a slow deceleration. I could move the sensor track another one or two Lok lengths away but this then reduces the length of the block, which should be longer than your longest train that will use that block.

Fabrice, yes these are ground based s88 sensors not current consumption detection.
That is good info to know how Rocrail reads the sensor.
In my situation I have made some longer sensors (each one piece of track ~18cm) and even placed another 18cm between the sensor and a switch, however some Loks still go past the sensor as the Lok decelerates slowly and comes to a stop on the switch. I even tried setting the speed at block enter (in RocRail ) to minimum, but some Loks still roll past. How much space do you have between your sensor tracks and switches? What speeds do your trains enter the blocks?
Some of the blocks will be bidirectional.

Yes keeping that in mind, to always have fun is a goal BigGrin , even when solving these problems. That’s why it’s so good to have a forum like this, for the tips, ideas, and expertise of others.

Thor thanks for the idea of using a third sensor in blocks. That might be what’s required in my situation. More testing, I guess. The problem might be solved with software adjustments, however, as you mentioned if the extra sensors are installed, then they are available to be use later, maybe for other options.

Thanks, Dale, for the link to your site. I’ve been to your site before but I missed that point where you suggest placing the sensor 30 cm before a required stop point. Then the next issue becomes, how will I solve the problem that all Loks will stop at different points, from the beginning of the sensor (such as Delta Loks without any deceleration) up to 30 cm past the sensor for Loks with a slow deceleration (which is nice to watch and more realistic)?

Hi Henrik, thanks for your input. Once I have cleared out all the boxes that are in my train room at the moment, I should have about 3.5 x 5.5 meters of space. The small siding in the picture is part of the test track to help me iron out all my questions, issues or problems.
It seems from the info above that the sensor length of 18cm is a good one, the computer software has not had a problem registering a Lok crossing a sensor. The issue seems to be, the placing of the sensor the correct distance before a required stop point or slowing the Loks down before the sensor. I believe that the longer the isolated track is in a sensor, the higher risk of the smaller Loks not making electrical contact with the “live” rail and coming to a stop. This is one of the benefits of the three-rail system, that both rails provide the ground.

Thanks again for your thoughts. ThumpUp I’ll be doing some more testing and keep you posted.
Offline PeFu  
#9 Posted : 08 December 2020 08:02:02(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
PeFu, yes that is the problem I was running into during my testing, some of the Loks would go past the sensor track until the rear bogie made contact with the sensor track due to the fact that the front bogie had rubber tires on one side. It is obvious now, but sometimes (talking about myself here) the obvious only gets realized when putting paper to pen or in this case train to track.
That is a good rule of thumb for the positioning of the sensors, having a space the length of the longest Lok between the switch and the sensor. This will solve the problem of the Lok which has rubber wheels on the front bogie. However, it does not solve the issue with Loks that have a slow deceleration.

My rule of thumb is that, ”if the sensor track is connected to a turnout, let it have the length of the longest loco”. I.e., I have in general no space between the turnout and the sensor track. Using TrainController there is a recommendation to set the deceleration momentum of the decoder to a minimum value. TrainController takes care of the deceleration procedure, and the train therefore stops at dedicated sensor tracks after just one or two centimeters.

The setup allows me to maximise train length.

Smile

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline French_Fabrice  
#10 Posted : 08 December 2020 08:25:14(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Kai,

Well, if some locos go past the "in" sensor area, that means a few things:

-your CV 4 (decrease rate speed) is too high, and/or
-your loco speed is too high at "enter" sensor of the block, and/or
-the length of the block is too short, and/or
-you don't use the BBT feature for the block (Rocrail only)

Here are some setting of my layout with Rocrail:

-I've used BBT feature everywhere except for sidings blocks.
-The block speed for all plain track blocks is set to VMid.
-Each loco has a Vmid set around 45-60% of max speed; The Vmin speed is set between 10-15%.
-Most of the time, CV4 is set to allow a "medium" decrease rate speed (I changed it only in very few cases)
-Most of my "In" sensors are 18cm long, sometimes longer (only because I use an entire piece of track with insulation joiners - no rail cut)
-Some of my "In" sensors are just before a switch, and when a loco has to stop at "In", it never goes ahead of the "in" area

...But that means you have to experiment a bit in order to find the right settings...

I'd suggest you to start with BBT set, use a block speed around 50% (VMid), a Vmin like 10%, and experiment the stop of each loco in blocks...

Have a nice testing session.
Cheers
Fabrice
Offline IBtrain  
#11 Posted : 09 December 2020 02:37:14(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
Thank you PeFu and Fabrice.
It looks like you are both saying the same thing, let the software program do the deceleration of the Loks.
I’ve watched some YouTube and read up on Rocrail’s BBT. Now that you guys have given me a good guideline on the position of the sensor tracks, I’ll start to test the BBT with my Loks.
Thanks Fabrice for giving me the settings you use in Rocrail, that will be a good starting point.

I’m looking forward to more testing. BigGrin

Kai
Offline DaleSchultz  
#12 Posted : 10 December 2020 00:37:43(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Then the next issue becomes, how will I solve the problem that all Loks will stop at different points, from the beginning of the sensor (such as Delta Loks without any deceleration) up to 30 cm past the sensor for Loks with a slow deceleration (which is nice to watch and more realistic)?

The solution is short contact sections, and you place one where you want the train to start slowing down and a second one where you want it to stop.

Trying to make trains stop after a specific distance forces you into making the distances the same everywhere and having to calibrate the heck out of every locomotive.

Nothing beats positive feedback, i.e. one sensor starts the slowdown and the second sensor says "ok you have to stop now".

Also, don't assume that once a loco or train is on a contact section that the section will stay 'on' for the duration of the locomotive's stay. (An assumption made by rules about contact section length relating to loco lengths.) You should assume that as a loco comes onto a contact section that the s88 will go on-off-on-off-on.
Any decent software monitoring the s88 should be able to 'debounce' the signal. (When we push a button, is seldom goes from off to on and stays on, there is always some 'bounce' that the switch contacts make so it goes from off to on, then off-on-off-on and finally settles on 'on', and when a model train rolls onto a contact you can expect way more bounce than when a human presses a button.) Some manufacturers of sensor monitors even have the debounce period configurable, and short contact periods below the set threshold get ignored.

I also like to do more than simple debounce in my software. When a train arrives at an s88, it means that a train got there. At that point the job of the s88 is done. Until the entire train is known to have left that area, all s88 changes are ignored.

When an s88 is high, you know there is at least one axle somewhere between the two ends. The shorter the contact section the more accurate that knowledge is. The more one thinks about this approach, the more one realises that shorter contacts are better. Think of it like camera/printer resolution, smaller dots are better. I often make contact sections as short as 5cm.

Shorter contact sections also eat up less length of the siding too. Imagine a station track with three contacts, A, B & C, one at each end and one in the middle:

=A===B===C=

A stopping train coming from the left will start slowing when it gets to A. When it gets to B it switches to its 'creep' speed and when it gets to C it stops dead.

This track can handle a train as long as: A===B=== or C===B=== (8 characters)

If the contact sections are longer:

=AA=BBB=CC=

This track can handle a train as long as: AA=BBB= or CC=BBB= (7 characters) because the end contacts are one character longer.

Lengths of station tracks is fundamentally critical in this hobby due to space limitations, we always need to get a longer train into them.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline IBtrain  
#13 Posted : 10 December 2020 03:37:31(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
Dale, Thanks for your detailed reply.
Yes that is what I am trying to avoid; having the blocks shorten because of using sensor tracks that are to long.
I believe I understand the principal now, and I'm reading up on using the BBT feature within Rocrail and reducing the CV4 value.

Cheers,
Kai
Offline French_Fabrice  
#14 Posted : 10 December 2020 07:43:29(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Kai,

Change the CV4 only when it is necessary. It is the last setting to modify if you can't get elegant slowdown and accurate stop, after a BBT learning sequence.

For BBT, activate the 'BBT' in the loco object (if not already set), and in all the involved block objects.
Then the learning sequence will start as soon as you run in auto mode.
The 1st time, most of the time, after passing on the 'enter' sensor, the speed decreases quickly from Vmid to Vmin, and the loco goes at a snail speed until the 'in' sensor.
At the next run, the decrease is a bit less... etc.
Consider that after 5-10 runs, the decrease rate is set correctly...

But that depends on your settings, block length, etc...

Cheers
Fabrice

Edited by user 10 December 2020 12:21:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline IBtrain  
#15 Posted : 12 December 2020 05:57:47(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
Hi
Thanks everybody for all the tips and suggestions.

Thanks Fabrice, that helped me get the basic function of BBT in RocRail to work, great.

What I have concluded so far;
- Sensors of 18cm long plus
- placing another section of track about 18 cm long between the sensor and a switch (turnout),
- reducing the deceleration rate in the Locomotive either hardware or CV4
- letting the software slow down the trains and bring them to a stop.
This has given me the best results so far. ThumpUp

Take care and stay safe,
Kai
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IBtrain
Offline MHJ87  
#16 Posted : 27 December 2020 05:12:39(UTC)
MHJ87

Australia   
Hello Fabrice

In post #10 you make the comment that you only use the insulators and do not cut the track.

Can I clarify that when creating the contact tract section do you cut the bridge under the rail to isolate the two rails. If not how do you isolate the rails so that you can create the contact between the S88 cotact and the other rail?

Once I understand how you are achieving creating the contact section I can move forward and create some myself.

Kind Regards

Michael
Offline French_Fabrice  
#17 Posted : 27 December 2020 10:47:49(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Michael,

I should have specified it is for K tracks, as I'm using them exclusively.
See this post: https://www.marklin-user...ps-and-tricks#post456336 for details

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline MHJ87  
#18 Posted : 27 December 2020 23:13:42(UTC)
MHJ87

Australia   
Thank you Fabrice

You comment now makes sense to me.

A salient lesson also. I should not assume that everyone uses C track.

Kind Regards

Michael
Offline fynrfin  
#19 Posted : 18 January 2021 19:18:24(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Shorter contact sections also eat up less length of the siding too. Imagine a station track with three contacts, A, B & C, one at each end and one in the middle:

=A===B===C=

A stopping train coming from the left will start slowing when it gets to A. When it gets to B it switches to its 'creep' speed and when it gets to C it stops dead.

This track can handle a train as long as: A===B=== or C===B=== (8 characters)

If the contact sections are longer:

=AA=BBB=CC=

This track can handle a train as long as: AA=BBB= or CC=BBB= (7 characters) because the end contacts are one character longer.

Lengths of station tracks is fundamentally critical in this hobby due to space limitations, we always need to get a longer train into them.

Hello, I am still figuring out how to do the detection on a couple of hidden sidings, and came across this very useful, but old post by Dale.

I am worried about leaving a car stranded on the hidden siding track - with one way traffic, so I would like longer blocks. Does this example imply that I could use something like
=A=BBBBB=C=,

i.e. a long middle detection point, that the longest train could be A=BBBBB= i.e. back to 8 characters, or did I misunderstand something?

Thank you in advance

Steen
Steen Jorgensen
Planning a Northern European (DSB and DB) C-track layout with IB control.
Offline IBtrain  
#20 Posted : 21 January 2021 03:29:04(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
Hi Steen

I can not answer with 100% certainty but I would think what you suggest is correct.
For one way traffic the way I understand it, sensor "C" affects the length of the block the most, the longer "C" is, the shorter the block.

Cheers,
Kai
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IBtrain
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#21 Posted : 22 January 2021 23:02:54(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Originally Posted by: fynrfin Go to Quoted Post

... Does this example imply that I could use something like
=A=BBBBB=C=,

i.e. a long middle detection point, that the longest train could be A=BBBBB= i.e. back to 8 characters, or did I misunderstand something?

I haven't tried this myself, but I think with BBT in Rocrail you could work with just two sensors, i.e.

=A=BBBBBBB=,

so that when the train enters the track from the right, it will start slowing down when it first encounters the long BBBBBBB section and comes to full stop at A.

If by chance a car remains standing on the track after the train leaves it, either the A or the BBBBBBB section (or both) will remain occupied, and Rocrail will refuse routing any trains to the track.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline fynrfin  
#22 Posted : 03 February 2021 20:20:04(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post

... Does this example imply that I could use something like
=A=BBBBB=C=,

I haven't tried this myself, but I think with BBT in Rocrail you could work with just two sensors, i.e.

=A=BBBBBBB=,

so that when the train enters the track from the right, it will start slowing down when it first encounters the long BBBBBBB section and comes to full stop at A.

If by chance a car remains standing on the track after the train leaves it, either the A or the BBBBBBB section (or both) will remain occupied, and Rocrail will refuse routing any trains to the track.

Thank you, do I need a "normal" track between each sensor? or could I do =ABBBBBBBBC=

Steen Jorgensen
Planning a Northern European (DSB and DB) C-track layout with IB control.
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#23 Posted : 03 February 2021 21:58:54(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post

=A=BBBBBBB=,

Thank you, do I need a "normal" track between each sensor? or could I do =ABBBBBBBBC=

No, with C tracks you can turn every track segment to a contact track so that it can be used as (part of) a sensor. I think I could make it work for M-tracks as well, but it would take nontrivial hacking. So you could do either =ABBBBBBBB= (2 sensors) or =ABBBBBBBBC= (3 sensors).
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä