Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2021 11:38:23(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, looking through all my video I've posted I've found (not specific to this forum) that only a small percentage watch my video all the way through and it doesn't seem to differ how long the video is.
are my videos boring, repetitive, to many, the length of the video, the content, the choice of scenery or locos and rolling stock or are there not enough commentary on each video ?

what is a bit of a mystery we have videos with over 600.00 views and there are others with similar numbers and are viewers more critical these days what we offer, authenticity, prototype like, the quality of the video or a specific period,

please feel free to comment as it is important to us to get a proper feedback so in future we can make our videos more interesting and colourful and have the correct mixture how to present a video,
regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2021 15:08:57(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, looking through all my video I've posted I've found (not specific to this forum) that only a small percentage watch my video all the way through and it doesn't seem to differ how long the video is.
are my videos boring, repetitive, to many, the length of the video, the content, the choice of scenery or locos and rolling stock or are there not enough commentary on each video ?

I can only speak for myself;

The Youtube algorithm proposes your videos to me a lot!
Sometimes I click on them, but mostly not, as I find them;
Boring, repetitive, too many and too long!

I would wish for;
A more steady handheld cam, when you pan and zoom manually.
Some new angles to view from. It seems like you mostly choose the same viewpoints.
I am not a fan of the permanently placed camera, but you could include more of these views, with the camera positioned as looking through the eyes of a Preiserlein.
You can do more cab-view and side-view videos.
A video following the trains on their round, like when kids run around exhibition layouts. (I realize that this conflicts with a more "steady" cam. -But there is a place for everything!)
I would LOVE videos showing your whole setup, as seen from above; parts of your layout room, the distribution of modules and other behind-the-scenes stuff.
-Views of your control, cabling -also from the underside of the modules.
-Views of your vitrines, collections, work-table for repairs and kit-building.
If your layout has a city with its main station, I would like to see that, as I don't remember having seen one...
In general, I think you need more lighting for your videos. Maybe you could get an additional floodlight.

I hope these suggestions doesn't rub you the wrong way, as I am genuinely impressed by your layout and collection! ThumpUp
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline jcrtrains  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2021 15:57:38(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I would not get offended by the partial views. I think that in today's world, we are all bombarded with so many viewing options that many of us have developed a bit of ADD. I am 55 and profess to this behavior. There are very few Youtube videos I will watch to the end and these are summarized in this list;

1. Historical Group B rally footage and anything with a Lancia Stratos or original Alpine A110
2. Some current WRC and historical rallys featuring cars in point 1
3. Jay Leno's garage - great style, knowledge of history and always interesting vehicles
4. Petrolicous - another car nut video
5. Live concert videos of any of the following: Stones, Who, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan, NIN, Red Fang

Keep creating the video's as they are enjoyable and you may also get some ideas from this forum as in the above.

Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2021 16:00:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Henrik, We appreciate you've taken your time to explain to us what it is you would like to see and looking at the suggestions it shouldn't be hard to follow it., we will sit down and lay out an action plan how to make a video in future and see how the average viewer responds to it and add more overall details.

many thanks,

John
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Ian555  
#5 Posted : 06 January 2021 18:33:53(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   

Well John, you did ask...

Being old school, I think they are great.

You're getting 600,000 views on the one video...not much wrong with that.

The more you think outside of the box the better you will get on.

All the best....Ian.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline scraigen  
#6 Posted : 06 January 2021 22:16:12(UTC)
scraigen

You're layout is absolutely amazing - I would love it if you could talk about your layout and how you constructed it, for me personally that would be more interesting than watching trains run on it. I'd like you to talk about the bits you're proud of, the bits that were challenging, which parts don't you like or you want to redo. I find in general people talking about what they're showing is more engaging, and I've no doubt getting it right is not easy, I've tried to film and talk and it was a disaster that I didn't post anywhere, but captions with a constant stream of additional info that we couldn't get just from watching could be really interesting.
Must build something
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 06 January 2021 23:53:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi John,

Thanks for asking about our view of your videos.

I am busy so sometimes I watch, sometimes not.

Here is one tip that might work.
If using a camera to follow a train, suspend a rope from the ceiling with a loop or cradle for the camera.
This gives you freedom in direction and movement of the camera.
Put gentle downward weight on the camera and you will find it steadies vertically.
Then you can concentrate on the horizontal path of the camera.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline sidblack  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2021 03:41:52(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Hi John,
I think it's great that you're asking for comments!
Like the others, I really enjoy seeing both your rolling stock and the different areas of the layout in your videos.
Sometimes when the camera moves a lot I find it hard to concentrate on the stars of the show (the trains!), so my preference is for more fixed position shots with the trains moving in and out of the picture.
Everyone has their own preferences though...
Cheers,
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 07 January 2021 05:54:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I think what is happening with us (my son and I) there is some excitement creeping in while making videos and this is influenced by getting the best shot but I think we forget the reflection it has on viewers.
We definitely will reconsider how we proceed with our next video and have a hard long look what is important, rather than get it out to the public we'll start constructing a method before hand to make sure all the criteria have been met and a meeting with consultations how to continue its objectives for a good result before it goes public.
thank you for your input it is very much appreciated and all your answers or suggestions have been valid and we make sure they'll be taken on board and I can say with our next train videos: a plan, procedure and structure will be part of this and not just having trains running around without a purpose.
it will have to have the board room approval before going public, it will take some time to get it right but we can see there is a light at the end of the tunnel to advertise model trains, the layout and behind the scenes to its best format.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Johnvr  
#10 Posted : 07 January 2021 08:52:10(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello John

I was fortunate to have seen John's layout 'in the flesh' and it really was very, very impressive.
And John's videos capture the amazing work which he has put into the layout.

I think that it could be an interesting idea to make a video by walking very slowly around the layout room showing the layout from a sort of 45 degree approaching angle. The sort of view which you may have if you were sitting in a motor car and watching the scenery go by, where you can pick out objects in your vision. The key for me would be a steady camera, and a slow walk around the room. It's hard to make a good video of a layout ! You want to look at the trains and you lose sight of the video, and then vice versa.

I guess that 5 minutes is about maximum length for a layout video.
I personally like to see videos with trains slowing down at stations, and then slowly accelerating again. Trains running at constant speed around a layout is slightly boring for me.

RegardsBigGrin
John
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Copenhagen  
#11 Posted : 07 January 2021 10:04:37(UTC)
Copenhagen

Where are these videos? I only see a handful (two actually) of videos, the most recent being 5 years old. What am I missing?
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 07 January 2021 11:03:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
Where are these videos? I only see a handful (two actually) of videos, the most recent being 5 years old. What am I missing?

Well, one could say you've missing all the action on the other hand there is still time for you to discover this channel, a>) you could subscribe and get all new video free home delivered,
all you have to do is follow my avatar and you'll see the Youtube website, click on it and you can explore 100's of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/6109river

regards.,

John
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 07 January 2021 11:19:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Just a quick summary: for instance I've thought of going for a walk in the city with my wife, (actual short video) my wife is going into a shop with the intention to buy something I will carry on to a near by hobby shop where I meet the owner (my son) and he shows me a quick tour of the layout, the spotlights, the collection we've got
(actual video) I than walk out meet up with my wife again (actual footage) and we head off to the big wheel (this should all be done by a cube go pro camera) whereas you can drag the camera along the footpath going through the streets, arriving at the big wheel I than see if a can attach the camera to the big wheel and take some shots of the surrounding area, carry on to the trolleybus stop and take a ride on the trolley bus to the main station, again the go pro camera should allow us to get right onto the platform see a train arrival and departure table and wait for the train and then board the train, end of video., it could be continued with part 2 whereas we take a train ride either with the HOe or the HO and travel to the funicular railway and show the process how we're getting there and may continue the theme for more episodes.
how long the video will be is another question but it may be interesting enough to watch it and see what's happening especially with real footage of some of the scenes

another challenge is we have to do it in 2 languages (English and German)

What do you think ?

John
Offline Copenhagen  
#14 Posted : 07 January 2021 15:47:18(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post

Well, one could say you've missing all the action on the other hand there is still time for you to discover this channel, a>) you could subscribe and get all new video free home delivered,
all you have to do is follow my avatar and you'll see the Youtube website, click on it and you can explore 100's of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/6109river

regards.,

John

I probably only clicked on the top link in your signature, even though I believe I tried both links with the same result. BigGrin
Offline rbw993  
#15 Posted : 07 January 2021 17:42:55(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi John,
First, I applaud your courage in asking the question. I am one of those who tune out after watching for a bit. I enjoy seeing your layout and variety of equipment. I do think they can be repetitive. My preference is to watch videos of trains as they would operate on a real railroad. As an example there is a series of videos on the Lotschbergbahn, a large Swiss layout, scenery has hardly been started but the train variety and movements can keep me watching for 20 minutes or more.

I look forward to viewing the results of the improvements you make!

Thanks,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Copenhagen  
#16 Posted : 08 January 2021 00:20:09(UTC)
Copenhagen

I'm more into watching videos where there is a narrator or a speaker and that have some kind of content or theme or test of new equipment that's being talked about and shown. Like marklinofsweden, Everard and Chadwick and American videos etc.
You have a fantastic layout but just watching trains drive by and to and from probably isn't enough to keep people interested enough to watch the whole video. Viewers have to be "hand held" through the show. If not by speak then by text on the screen.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline river6109  
#17 Posted : 08 January 2021 02:13:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Hi John,
First, I applaud your courage in asking the question. I am one of those who tune out after watching for a bit. I enjoy seeing your layout and variety of equipment. I do think they can be repetitive. My preference is to watch videos of trains as they would operate on a real railroad. As an example there is a series of videos on the Lotschbergbahn, a large Swiss layout, scenery has hardly been started but the train variety and movements can keep me watching for 20 minutes or more.

I look forward to viewing the results of the improvements you make!

Thanks,
Roger

Roger, I do watch his videos, although interesting (with each new video he has new rolling stock or locos) I do find it getting a bit boring adn the same could be applied to my videos, you could say see one you see them all.

John

Offline rbw993  
#18 Posted : 08 January 2021 13:52:12(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
John,
I agree in that find that I find his cab ride videos get boring exactly because of the lack of scenery. In fact most cab ride videos aren't that well done, especially those that "feature" a lot of time spent in shattenbanhofen and long tunnels. Where the focus isn't the trains then good scenery has to be.

Roger

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline hxmiesa  
#19 Posted : 08 January 2021 16:05:02(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I agree in that find that I find his cab ride videos get boring exactly because of the lack of scenery. In fact most cab ride videos aren't that well done, especially those that "feature" a lot of time spent in shattenbanhofen and long tunnels. Where the focus isn't the trains then good scenery has to be.

Well, aren't we all very different?! LOL

One of the things that I like the most about cab-rides, are the tunnels and shadow-stations; at least when it is well lit up. (I am a fan of most behind-the-scenes stuff...)
With cabrides I also like passing other trains, both parked and on-coming.

In the case of scenery; Yes, of course I like to see a beautifully landscaped layout. But I find that bringing the cab-camera SOOO close up and personal on the decoration, demands too much of many -otherwise- very nicely decorated layouts.

Best regards
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 08 January 2021 16:23:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
John,

Roger

It is easy to criticize makers of train videos but in the end it is the viewer who has the last word., as much time and effort has gone into it, the end product I feel has to have a purpose and this has unfortunately been left out by most of them including myself, I must thank Youtube for pointing out or supplying information about my videos and its responses otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question.

On could say its wake up call, you may have done it for years but never actually studied or questioned your own creation and what effect it has or hasn't on the people who watch it.
I also think the days are gone whereas you could show a video and thousands of people watched it and had been satisfied with it but time has moved on and so has the static telephone to a mobile phone, from faxes to emails, and endless written accounting pages to computer files.

I've forwarded all the suggestions to my son and we've verbally agreed by making a train video it will at least take 5 - 7 days with a full on scrutiny and hopefully it will completely change the way we show videos in future.

I said before not all creations are successful and our layout is one of them, it is a remarkable achievement but has its floors and it was only after my son suggested to redesign the layout track figuration we have come to a manageable operation mode but other objects had to be left out.
it is also remarkable the layout is now existence for over 40 years and is still operational, where as most other layout may have been completely dismantled or gone to the recycling bin.
I've just watched a video whereas a widow is selling off belongings including her late husbands large model train layout, the selling price finished up with Euro 1600.00 (that including everything from houses to rolling stock and locos., unfortunately the relatives didn't or didn't want to sell the items themselves as it would have meant a lot of time and effort to sort it all out and sell the items individually.
My case is most properly more dramatic, who would buy a layout with measurements of 13m x 5m ?, I hope I get more enjoyment out of it instead of repairing or finishing it off to a stage whereas trains are running on each line (about 40).
I wonder how confusing it will be for viewers seeing 40 trains running (though not at the same time) and what impact it will have of getting a good understanding what it is all about.
The layout and purpose was originally designed to be exhibited as a public venue and with its 19 individual modules to be able to move from city to city and town to town but neither ever eventuated except 4 times.
We men have these grandiose ideas, some of them never get finished, some fail and the effort to restart is to much of a burden others finish their task but than the lack of patrons closes their operation.

John

Edited by user 08 January 2021 22:39:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline rbw993  
#21 Posted : 08 January 2021 19:38:43(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
John, as I said before I look forward to your next production. Henrik, yes we are! Thank goodness, it would be really boring otherwise.

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Elsleuth1  
#22 Posted : 09 January 2021 19:16:15(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
John: How about some music behind your videos for some drama and very short clips of engines moving or stopping and starting?

https://vimeo.com/1388420

Or how about a stop action sequence that tells a little story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc5EDvMLHVs

Or how about people interacting with your layout?

https://vimeo.com/45926141

3 minutes is a good length.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Elsleuth1
Offline river6109  
#23 Posted : 13 January 2021 12:40:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
One thing I'm not in favour of is music, sorry, unless it is associated with the theme, like folk music from Austria, Switzerland or Germany., I'm working on videos whereas I show my conversions from start until they go onto the track (from Start to Finish)., and interacting with people: yes this is on the menu as well.
the third video is definitely a no no for me

I don't know about 3 minutes, its hard to tell a story in 3 minutes unless you do it fast forward.

John
Offline river6109  
#24 Posted : 13 January 2021 14:03:53(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I rather have a video like this

Offline Drongo  
#25 Posted : 14 January 2021 06:22:50(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi John, video production is extremely difficult as I found out trying to make a short video for my grandson's kindergarten class. My brother was a professional video producer/editor and he gave me the software to make my video. Well, it was like learning to fly a jumbo jet. He made it look easy, but years of experience on a full-time basis is required to master the software. So your efforts are to be complimented but if you want to improve your skills you'll need to invest a lot of time into editing or do what I did - just do the making of my layout. Flapper Flapper Flapper

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline hxmiesa  
#26 Posted : 14 January 2021 06:45:11(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   

Again, I can only speak for myself;
I find it annoying that the camera level is not correctly horizontal.
I find it boring to maintain the same fixed solo viewpoint for 58 seconds. Too long; To remediate that you could pan and zoom (the Presierleins would probably at least turn their head while watching... Cool ) -and/or continually change the placement of the camera further and further down the line, so that the viewer can follow the train.

Edited by user 14 January 2021 13:03:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline river6109  
#27 Posted : 14 January 2021 21:55:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

I find it boring to maintain the same fixed solo viewpoint for 58 seconds. Too long; To remediate that you could pan and zoom (the Presierleins would probably at least turn their head while watching... Cool ) -and/or continually change the placement of the camera further and further down the line, so that the viewer can follow the train.

The video I've posted was to show the difference between loud music and the sound of a steam loco, and I prefer the sound of steam

John

Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 14 January 2021 21:57:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
invest a lot of time into editing or do what I did - just do the making of my layout. Flapper Flapper Flapper

Regards
Greg

I think I've realized this by now and there will be a lot more work involved than any one could imagine, lots of clips and lots of editing

John
Offline Copenhagen  
#29 Posted : 14 January 2021 23:06:10(UTC)
Copenhagen

The video I've posted was to show the difference between loud music and the sound of a steam loco, and I prefer the sound of steam

John

A shame that the first loco appearing has no sound. My eyes could be deceiving me but there seems to be a lack of focus (sharpness) in the video too?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline river6109  
#30 Posted : 15 January 2021 10:40:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Hi, I thank everybody who has taken the time out to identify and make suggestions and I really appreciate it, our next video should show some improvements and I hope that a lesson has been learned for a better outcome.

regards.,

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline MHJ87  
#31 Posted : 16 January 2021 04:27:40(UTC)
MHJ87

Australia   
Hello John

I am a great fan of your videos and usually watch them in their entirety.

Having said that I rarely watch them in one go. Usually two, or sometimes three sittings. Just depends what other chores I have to do at any particular time. No doubt that would add the stats of people not watching right through to the end. Also, sometimes I will stop a video and go backwards to re watch something that interested me. Again, that may add to the stats of those not watching right through.

As for improvements. I do not know if improvements is the right term, as the videos are good.

For me model railroading is about running trains, yes, but also the associated problem solving and layout building both scenery and buildings.
As I am still in the very early stages of developing my layout, now that I have retired and have more time. Having resurrected all my accumulated bits and pieces I am particularly interested in the development and building of the various aspects, and videos or indeed just photo sequences of some of the things people have developed. I guess it is all about generating new ideas and sometimes the best way to do that is to look at what someone else has already achieved.

What would be good from my perspective regarding your layout would be a video tour to get some idea of the scale and to be able to see some of the scenery and detail you have achieved.

Regards

Michael
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MHJ87
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 16 January 2021 15:53:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Michael, THANK YOU for your patronage and I take this opportunity to thank all participants who watch our videos: THANK YOU, I think this will always be an issue, what type of buildings will I buy, will I make my own buildings, copy it from original pictures for a specific building, what will be the size of my layout, what will I include into the layout and how much is enough.
I personally think a layout is a persons vision, interpretation, the size and will anything go or will it be an era, steam, electric or diesel ?, will the scenery be just to fill in empty places or will it be representing some natural environment ? and all of these choices and each of them there can be hundreds of variations.

What do you do with a layout that has been build over 40 years ago ? rip it all up, start again or make changes to update it for today's use and I've had my share of criticism from viewers, how come you run Swiss trains on a German overhead system ? I don't like trains run by a computer. my layout is not run by a computer and how would you expect to run 15 or 20 trains manually by 1 single person ?

Our layout is in a league where as a certain amount of skills are required to present a reasonable video and as we've found out we far from presenting such but we are working on it., it will take much more time and the theme will have to be more interesting, catching, imaginable and more personal information have to be added to give you viewers a look behind the scenes, some history of the layout and other visual display elements such as our collection.
At the moment my son is programming locos for different eras and different track distances, so when we are ready to run locos they're programmed correctly.

John
Offline carlos.rivas16752  
#33 Posted : 16 January 2021 22:36:59(UTC)
carlos.rivas16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

John

Hi John

You can have both...music and steam sound together. I use different viewpoints, try not to abuse too long of a single take; I also use short travellings, cenital points of view, etc. Sometimes I put the camera on a gondola in front of the loco so you can have a nice take in motion, sometimes my camera is a bit higher than the tracks, other times it´s placed at ground level; sometimes I place the camera directly on the track so you can see the loco coming at you.

And I also try to look for more creative viewpoints, for instance between two cars...you can also film your videos in black and white and other colour filters. A few of my videos go around a concept: beer wagons, car transportation, etc. By the way, I try not to edit videos longer than 4-5 minutes.

Here you are a couple of my videos; hope you find them inspiring.

Regards
Carlos