Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ricinport  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2021 22:01:38(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
Hi

I'm totally new to this intriguing hobby.
I've decided (in my approaching older age) to start a new hobby to occupy my increasing spare time.
I've chosen to build a scenic rail layout using Marklin Z scale.

I've got a dozen or so items arriving in the mail over the next few days.
I've had to shop around a lot as things seem to be in short supply, but I've purchased various rail sets, a single electric loco and a few buildings.
The first package has just arrived from Mobellbahn:
The Spur Z pack T3 Yard, The Spur Z pack T2 Station and the Catenary set for T1+T2+T3

What do I now need to power the turnouts (I'd call them 'points').
The boxes include a red/green switching device and wire etc but I obviously need a transformer power supply of some kind.

Any suggestions warmly welcomed.

Thanks

Ric
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ricinport
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2021 05:57:32(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Welcome to the User.Net and your first inquiry.

If your purchases includes a Marklin transformer you would find there are a pair of connectors for attachment to your track assuming you will do analog of your locomotives. The other pair of connections are for your accessories such as lights and switches. If you will be starting with a simple layout, this should satisfy your needs.

I know there is a Marklin document which shows how connections are made to the various types of switches etc. I will see if I can find it and let you know.

Again welcome to your z scale project and to the user group which should be able to answer many of your questions. It is a great hobby, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Best wishes

Dwight

P.s.

Just realized this is to large to attach. Try this link. Very good information but big file, give it time to download.

https://www.maerklin.de/...Buch_Spur_Z_komplett.pdf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2021 14:40:49(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ricinport Go to Quoted Post
Hi

What do I now need to power the turnouts (I'd call them 'points').
The boxes include a red/green switching device and wire etc but I obviously need a transformer power supply of some kind.

Ric

As Dwight has said, the standard Marklin Controller has terminals for point motor power, so if you have one of those coming you will have all you need.

Otherwise, the current Marklin controller is powered from a 12V DC plug mounted power supply and the accessory feed is direct from this, so you can buy an inexpensive 12V supply (1A will be plenty and have capacity left over for powering a controller) from your electronics supplier (RS, for example, though there are less expensive alternatives) and use that.

Hope this is of help

Chris

Offline Ricinport  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2021 10:15:39(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
@Zme @Poor Skeleton

Thanks for the replies.
I'd not yet organised a transformer (now on order) but I can now see that there are outputs for more than just the rails.
This is now starting to make more sense.

@Zme that is a fantastic link. Fortunately I also have 1GB internet so it downloaded in seconds (not bad for the rural hills of Algarve, Portugal).
There is all I need there about all the electrics for every component in one handy source.

Great start. It's appreciated.

Cheers

Rick