Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklin_1988_ge  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2021 06:04:21(UTC)
marklin_1988_ge

United States   
Hello,

Wondering what might be the top 5 or top 10 fastest Marklin locomotives? Maybe top 5 from each Era?

Best,

marklin_1988_ge
Offline Timnomads  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2021 15:43:09(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: marklin_1988_ge Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Wondering what might be the top 5 or top 10 fastest Marklin locomotives? Maybe top 5 from each Era?

Best,

marklin_1988_ge

Hi

I don't think this is the right question, I like trains to be realistic including their speed. What would be a more interesting question is locomotive pulling power. This is important when pulling trains up gradients. I would suggest a measurement of axles pulled on straight level track.

Tim
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2021 16:42:20(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If anybody else ever experienced a 1950s/1960s lok interpreting an inversion pulse as a burst of speed, those were without a doubt the fastest Maerklin loks.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 13 January 2021 17:40:59(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Those of us who have analogue layouts try hard to make ours go slowly, that is our ambition.

As you say, fast is easy and for some reason very fast is very easy with old VB locomotives!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline rrf  
#5 Posted : 13 January 2021 21:41:48(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

My 70‘s vintage 3077 Schien Zeppelin is by far the fastest of my Loks. At full speed it will not take a curve of any radius. As a kid we used to setup a long straight away on the sidewalk in front of our house. The speed it achieved was amazing.
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2021 22:28:16(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
As others said, the speed of locomotives is not that important as long it matches the prototype.

Anyway, to give a straight answer, several of my 60's locomotives reach speeds corresponding with 240 km/h. These include models 3000, 3014, 3016, 3034, 3053, 3068, 3069, and 3075.

The Schienenbus (3016) and the BR E41 (3034) may well be the the fastest; they can't be run at full speed through R1 curves. Of course, such speed would be meaningless anyway, as the top prototype speeds for these locos were 90 km/h and 120 km/h, respectively.

Even my slowest locos reach 120 km/h, which is fully satisfactory.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline hxmiesa  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2021 07:46:21(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Although I dont udnerstand the reason for this question (it seems strange to me), I can certainly recall that my good old BR103, BR50kab and ICE prototype (all 4-digit cat numbers and analogue) would fly off the track in any (M-track) curve, if run at anything near full speed.
Especially the BR50kab is so easy-running (despite its mechanical complexity!!!) that it also takes a good length of trackage to come to a full stop when entering a powerless track.
In effect... "Ludicrous Speed", as in the movie! ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2021 11:00:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think I can answer this question without going into details why a loco has or is going fast., all analog locos did go faster than they should have been if you decided to go full speed on the controls, however in its time Märklin produced 3 different motors which in my opinion didn't make any difference when it came to speed., over the years converting locos and looking at specific details of the motor I've found 99% it had to do with the brush plate., it was a rouge design and there were possible movements everywhere effecting the smooth running of the motor which resulted in different speeds., we heard many times, my motor was so quite and my motor was so noisy and these are the results of a motor which wasn't aligned properly.
So in principal there wasn't a different speed, except locos with a different gear ratio.
the running characteristics of later locos (with a drum collector) still had issues with smooth running problems and these issues had never been resolved by Märklin to this day., you may had changes from metal to plastic cogwheels to reduce the noise level but this was all., in earlier posts I've explained the different metals used by Märklin when they assembled a motor and there had been several attempts to solve this issue as well but failed and in the end they gave up and left it, my solution was and is adding ball bearings on both sides of the armature and also making sure the brush's inserts are lined up correctly.
On a more destroying nature, as a kid I've changed the reversing spring to a no return and turned the knob to reverse and kept it there., this gave the loco motor a voltage of 24 volts and this made the loco even go faster., I'm wondering who came up with the idea whether it was me or one of my older brothers.
I could say I was the one who had the fastest loco Cool and the loco still exists today although with a digital conversion and a sound decoder (3001)

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2021 11:52:07(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

On a more destroying nature, as a kid I've changed the reversing spring to a no return and turned the knob to reverse and kept it there., this gave the loco motor a voltage of 24 volts and this made the loco even go faster., I'm wondering who came up with the idea whether it was me or one of my older brothers.
I could say I was the one who had the fastest loco Cool and the loco still exists today although with a digital conversion and a sound decoder (3001)
John

I remember doing the same in my younger days, and in addition, we put a 5 pole anchor from a 35series locomotive in a DB 89 old start set locomotive and locked the reverse unit. it went flying. Also did it with a friend's Alpha locomotive, and it really needed the downforce wings ;) Still have the old blue transformer with a faulty reverse knop that is missing the spring. so it stays in the reverse pulse position. The DB 89 survived quite well and is still in operation with a digital decoder. (i got the starter set as payment for feeding the neighbor's cat)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline rrf  
#10 Posted : 16 January 2021 00:08:28(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello Friends,

When I was given my 3077 Schienenzeppelin by a family friend visiting from Germany, he explained that there was something special about its motor that made it much faster than ordinary Märklin loks. Hence it could not run on R1 or even R2 curves, except at extremely slow speeds.

It's been over 45 years now and I really don't remember the full story. My recollection is that it had something to do with DC versus AC current. That said, I don't know if there is any truth to what I was told. But that darn train sure seemed to be in a league of it own. Note: while I still run it once or twice a year to keep it healthy, it's never at full speed except for very short bursts in between curves on the layout. The last time I let that puppy run full throttle for any significant distance was back in the late 70s.

Does anyone know if there is something special or different about this model?

Thanks,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline marklin_1988_ge  
#11 Posted : 16 January 2021 15:15:06(UTC)
marklin_1988_ge

United States   
Thanks but no thanks for you deciding what is the "right" question.

I would not ask a question if I did not want a straight answer.

Thank you to those that have sincerely answered, rather than trying to parents others.

Just wanted to know straight speed, fastest without rolling stock.

Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: marklin_1988_ge Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Best,

marklin_1988_ge

Hi

I don't think this is the right question, I like trains to be realistic including their speed. What would be a more interesting question is locomotive pulling power. This is important when pulling trains up gradients. I would suggest a measurement of axles pulled on straight level track.

Tim

Offline marklin_1988_ge  
#12 Posted : 16 January 2021 15:17:28(UTC)
marklin_1988_ge

United States   
Awesome post, thank you.

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I think I can answer this question without going into details why a loco has or is going fast., all analog locos did go faster than they should have been if you decided to go full speed on the controls, however in its time Märklin produced 3 different motors which in my opinion didn't make any difference when it came to speed., over the years converting locos and looking at specific details of the motor I've found 99% it had to do with the brush plate., it was a rouge design and there were possible movements everywhere effecting the smooth running of the motor which resulted in different speeds., we heard many times, my motor was so quite and my motor was so noisy and these are the results of a motor which wasn't aligned properly.
So in principal there wasn't a different speed, except locos with a different gear ratio.
the running characteristics of later locos (with a drum collector) still had issues with smooth running problems and these issues had never been resolved by Märklin to this day., you may had changes from metal to plastic cogwheels to reduce the noise level but this was all., in earlier posts I've explained the different metals used by Märklin when they assembled a motor and there had been several attempts to solve this issue as well but failed and in the end they gave up and left it, my solution was and is adding ball bearings on both sides of the armature and also making sure the brush's inserts are lined up correctly.

John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklin_1988_ge
Offline seatrains  
#13 Posted : 17 January 2021 21:57:54(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
marklin_1988_ge this is a very interesting question and maybe the answer lies on Stummis Forum or another online source. There have been quite a few examples of marklin locomotives pulling an incredible number of cars. See link / thread started by utkan:
https://www.marklin-user...lin-do--The-Game-is-Over

I have been asked this question many times by folks who visit the house and see my trains and as we all know most model railroaders tend to run their trains faster than the prototype. But to address your question anecdotally as I have no timed data, I would say when my marklin ST 800 railcar was newer it was extremely fast in relation to other locos back in the 60's. For many years in the 80's and 90's I found my marklin 3089 streamlined steam loco to be the fastest loco that I had or maybe it was the best running.BigGrin Now I would say my marklin 3671 ICE with its two can motors, in a 4 unit configuration is my fastest consist.

Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by seatrains