Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Petros  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2021 20:40:35(UTC)
Petros

Greece   
Hello friends.Iam newbie here.I have an old set of m tracks,analogue,from my childhood and i want to revive it.I got the beginner set with e and T1 extension.I got only one loco the 89006 with one trafo 37540.I would like to buy a new one loco.How could run simultaneously two locos on tracks?Do i have to buy a new trafo?How the connection would be.Sorry if this subject has been answered but i haven't find any manual on internet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Petros
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2021 23:31:03(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Petros Go to Quoted Post
Hello friends. I am newbie here.I have an old set of m tracks, analogue, from my childhood and i want to revive it. I got the beginner set with e and T1 extension. I got only one loco the 89006 with one trafo 37540. I would like to buy a new one loco. How could run simultaneously two locos on tracks? Do i have to buy a new trafo? How the connection would be. Sorry if this subject has been answered but i haven't find any manual on internet.

Hello Petros, welcome to the forum.

You have a couple of options, depending how far you want to go and how much you have to spend.

With analogue, whenever there is power on the tracks, all Loco's on that track will move.

One very simple method is to have two seperate tracks, ie in very simple terms, an oval within an oval. You can join them, but they must be electrically separated at the join. Then you have a trafo for each oval. Of course it does not have to be an actual oval, it could be an "end-to-end" layout, or a combination of both but you still need separate tracks for each loco. A good example would be an oval, with a storage/switching yard.

One loco can be controlled on the main track, and another Loco can be controlled in the yard, but you still need a seperate trafo for each Loco. But in the hard, you can use switches to control the power to each siding. Then you could have a loco sitting on a siding, but with the power turned off so the Loco does not move on one track, but another on the track beside can be controlled. Again you would need to electrically isolate each storage track so the power can be cut off or on as required. I hope that makes sense. No doubt, someone else will come in and explain it much easier than I have Blushing

The second option which many people like is to make the second Loco an Electric Loco (with a pantograph). This way, you can run your existing Class 89 from the track, and the E-lok from the overhead. Both on the same track, but with two trafos so they are truly independent. ie, two people can control a train each. I quite like this myself, but..... you will have to get an E-lok, and of course overhead masts and wires, and I guess more track anyway.

Fortunately, (depending where you live) used M-track is now quite affordable to find second-hand and will not cost a lot of money. I think there is a bit of a Märklin community in Greece?, and there are some other members here already.

The third option which many others will recommend is to move into the "Digital" age. This way, each Loco has a special decoder installed (in place of the reversing unit) and a unique address.

At the simplest level, you can use "Delta" or the most basic 6021 Controller. A Delta controller can run up to four Loco's, but you have to select either Loco. You can't actually control two at the same time. Whichever one is selected is the one you have control of.

By that I mean you would select one Loco, set it running, and then when you switch to the second Loco, the first one keeps going at the same speed but you can't control it until you select it again. You have to get used to that.

But you can easily connect a second controller to the Digital arrangement. Now you have two seperate speed controls, one for each loco, both on the same track, at the same time.

You might think moving to Digital would be expensive but not always. Older controllers such as the 6021, MS1, CS1 etc are quite reasonably priced, and you might even find a great deal on a starter-set which already has a Digital Loco, maybe some wagons, an MS1, and additional track. Bargain!!

Hopefully that gives you a better idea?

Regards

Steve
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2021 23:47:17(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
There are also some starter sets which come with a very basic controller, such as this....

https://www.ebay.com/itm...Marklin-NEW/202933129990

29162-StartSet.jpg

That one comes with the new C-track and you can get C to M adapter tracks. You would need to search ebay in your region (or other auction sites) and search for "digital starter set" and be creative with your search words to capture items that may be described differently.

There will be other options that other members can suggest.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline rrf  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2021 00:07:50(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

Another option for analog running of two trains is to implement block control. The family’s holiday layout this year is analog, using my childhood / young adult collection of M Track. It is a large oval with a single siding. Circuit tracks control the semaphores and points that allow the two loks to take turns on the main oval. The layout is powered one transformer.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2021 04:46:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you can find a pair of the manual 7339 signal, which consists of a 1/2 track length with signal and another 1/2 track length with a break in the centre rail, you can use them to control which train is moving and which one is waiting in the passing track. You just have to make sure that both trains can clear the passing track so that they do not run into each other.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline tonyfh  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2021 10:59:22(UTC)
tonyfh

Hello Petros,

In case you like to stay Analog I scanned some pages from (Dutch) catalogue 1982 - 1983 and signal book 0340 for you

uit sein boek 0340.pdf (2,856kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
van cat 82 - 83.pdf (4,617kb) downloaded 51 time(s).

Maybe this explains a bit what you can do with old analogue Märklin trains.

Tony.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tonyfh
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 09 January 2021 11:54:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
There is quite a bit of information on what you want in the following pdf manuals

https://katalog.dermodel...-elektrischen-bahnen.pdf

https://katalog.dermodel...iature-railway-h0-en.pdf

Eckert Marklin wiringbooklet.pdf (170kb) downloaded 209 time(s).

Signal manuals

https://katalog.dermodel...753-signal-anleitung.pdf

https://katalog.dermodel...341-model-signals-en.pdf

Catenary Manuals for if you use the methods Cookee talked about

Marklin Catenary System.pdf (1,024kb) downloaded 1,133 time(s).

Marklin Catenary System for 5100_5200 Series Track.pdf (3,611kb) downloaded 970 time(s).

Not directly related to your query, but may be useful is the Marklin Service Manual

https://katalog.dermodel...33-service-manual-en.pdf
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Petros  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2021 15:12:59(UTC)
Petros

Greece   
Thank you friends for you instant responses.I appreciate it.Now I have an idea how to make it. I'll stay analogue because I like the wires and stuff like that.My nephew has the digital full set with c tracks and the single control which change locos with switch button but i find it to simple.I'll try to develop the analogue as it gets.I'll try all the ideas you gave me .Thanks for pdf's.I have a lot of work and study ahead😀
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Petros
Offline marklin_1988_ge  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2021 05:56:38(UTC)
marklin_1988_ge

United States   
Thanks all for the info and replies. I had the same question as I have seen video of M-track joined with switches/other and engines moving between them I thought, analog. Getting my Marklin M-track set built-up even more these past few months with my two young sons. This forum is a great resource for Marklin railroaders.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklin_1988_ge
Offline David240945  
#10 Posted : 10 March 2021 23:56:50(UTC)
David240945

See my posts about analog block signaling . Simply blocks with two trains run well but more complicated ones with different length trains running at atdifferen5 speeds I have used 7045 remote controls and now have it. Working well.

D
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 11 March 2021 09:49:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
you can have as many locos on your analog track as you wish solong the transformer supports the output of your locos., by establishing sidings or block sections you can have 1, 2 or 3 trains running simmultaniously, it depends how big your layout is., my layout is digital but my train departures re all based on isoaltion sections especially where sidings occur., 1 train enters the siding, stops and the other train will start by activating a pulse.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode