Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Balazs L  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2021 21:59:27(UTC)
Balazs L

Norway   
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a Class 66 diesel loco (39063) with mfx+ decoder. It seem all the sound, light, smoke functions are working fine. Unfortunately the loco is only running backwards and only with constant speed.
I am controlling it with Mobile Station 2 (V3.55). I have tried several times to remove and add the loco in the MS2, changed address, etc. It seems to me the loco is in emergency mode (mfx+). however the mfx+ functions are supposed to be disabled in MS2.

Am I doing anything wrong or it’s a decoder fault?
Any help would be appreciated!

Regards
Balazs
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2021 22:08:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Balazs L Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a Class 66 diesel loco (39063) with mfx+ decoder. It seem all the sound, light, smoke functions are working fine. Unfortunately the loco is only running backwards and only with constant speed.
I am controlling it with Mobile Station 2 (V3.55). I have tried several times to remove and add the loco in the MS2, changed address, etc. It seems to me the loco is in emergency mode (mfx+). however the mfx+ functions are supposed to be disabled in MS2.

Am I doing anything wrong or it’s a decoder fault?
Any help would be appreciated!

Regards
Balazs

Does it register properly on the mobile station?
You shouldn't be trying to change address as it will not do anything.
Online river6109  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2021 22:46:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Have you removed the decoder at any stage ?
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Balazs L  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2021 23:22:19(UTC)
Balazs L

Norway   
Hi. Yes. I have tried to remove and put it back, still the same issue...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Balazs L
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2021 23:49:47(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi have you tried a decoder factory reset ?

Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2021 00:17:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

That may or may not help.

At once stage there was a bug in marklin decoder firmware that caused the loco to creep while it was doing its mfx recognition. You can find details of it in Clapcotts thread on mld/3-msd/3 updates - but that is from almost two years ago, so I wouldn't expect that problem to be in a decoder in a Class 66.

Another option may be that the factory had it running on a test track and just cut the power before lifting the loco off to pack it. It may have remembered what speed and direction it was travelling at that point and proceeded to do the same when powered up again. So this is why I asked if the mfx recognition was allowed to complete, because the mobile station will not get control of the loco until that has happened as the loco cannot be selected until the mfx recognition is complete.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 09 January 2021 01:04:21(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Balazs
I guess the decoder reset is a very good idea and you have nothing to lose at the loco is still probably under warranty (It work 99%of the cases and helped me in a few occurrences).
The other possibility is that one of the 4 transistors driving the motor is dead. In this case the decoder needs replacing.

What you refer to (loco crawling) is when the loco is MFX+ and needs fuel, water, sand). This is not what you have as in this mode, changing directions is still allowed.
In the huge majority of motor failures, the same behaviour is observed in both directions
Just my 2 cents worth
Jean
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2021 01:04:52(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

That may or may not help.

At once stage there was a bug in marklin decoder firmware that caused the loco to creep while it was doing its mfx recognition. You can find details of it in Clapcotts thread on mld/3-msd/3 updates - but that is from almost two years ago, so I wouldn't expect that problem to be in a decoder in a Class 66.

Another option may be that the factory had it running on a test track and just cut the power before lifting the loco off to pack it. It may have remembered what speed and direction it was travelling at that point and proceeded to do the same when powered up again. So this is why I asked if the mfx recognition was allowed to complete, because the mobile station will not get control of the loco until that has happened as the loco cannot be selected until the mfx recognition is complete.

Yes there might be several possible explanation for this behaviour.
The CD 66 has one of the lastest firmware versions 3.2.2.0 if I remember correctly and mine registered as normal on mfx, but on a cs3. But sometimes new firmware introduce new bugs that causes strange results in certain conditions.

Since "Balazs L", suspect it's in mfx+ emergency mode, one reason could be that the locomotive has been tested in mfx+ by dealer or someone else (world of operations activated) And they forgot to turn it of, and for some reason it remains active and buggy on the ms2. If that is the reason a decoder reset should hopefully solve that as the default is off. But it might also be a faulty decoder.

And of course to let the locomotive register propperly is always important.
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 09 January 2021 04:40:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The first thing you should do, if you can, is to place the locomotive on a short test track. If you have an older analog transformer, I would connect this to two or three track sections and test to see the operation in analog mode.

Then, disconnect the analog transformer and connect the track to your MS2 and power up. Hit stop, Place the locomotive back on the track, turn the MS2 back on and give it a moment to detect the MFX.
If nothing happens, go to "Add New Locomotive" and select "Detect/Erkennen". The MS2 should then try to detect first MFX, then DCC and finally MM (Maerklin-Motorola).

If the decoder thought it was in analog mode, it would normally keep running in one direction. I do not think if that was the case, that it would respond to any function commands.
I am wondering if you may have installed the decoder incorrectly and wondering whether certain functions may no longer operate as a result. I had that happen with one of my 37342 Re 4/4IIs.
Fortunately, I had already saved the profile, so I could pick up a basic Lokpilot and restore the profile.

If you don't have an analog transformer, try connecting a 9V battery to the rails and the centre rail, but make sure that you break the contact before the locomotive reaches the end of the test track.

I hope that this helps.

As you are in Europe, you should be able to contact the Maerklin hotline in Goeppingen for assistance

Regards

Mike C
Offline Balazs L  
#10 Posted : 10 January 2021 22:35:17(UTC)
Balazs L

Norway   
Hi All,
Thank you very much for the great ideas and opinions.

I have tried to reset the loco, I have also tried MikeC's recommendation. Unfortunately the problem is not solved.

I will contact Maerklin hotline. Worst case I have to send back for repair. Thanks again

Regards,
Balazs

Online river6109  
#11 Posted : 10 January 2021 23:05:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square

what type of connection has it got 21mtc or Plux22 ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 10 January 2021 23:12:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

what type of connection has it got 21mtc or Plux22 ?

John

well, he says it is a 30-63 with mfx+ in the first post, so it is a 21mtc with Marklin decoder.