Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fejobelo  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2021 19:38:38(UTC)
fejobelo

Hi, I am new to MRR, I had a working Marklin Ice 2 train set until I dismantled it to move it somewhere else. When I connected it again, it didn’t work. The Mobile Station stop buttons are continually lit and in the bottom of the digital screen it says stop. I reset it to factory settings and unplugged it from the layout but didn’t help.

I don’t know what else to try, any advice would be hugely appreciated. I got this train for my 12 year-old son to transition from his Marklin My World trains that he has been using for years. The starter set I am having trouble with is the 29792.

Many thanks
Offline scraigen  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2021 20:30:02(UTC)
scraigen

Hi,
Sounds like you have a short somewhere, if the MS detects a short circuit it will automatically go into ‘stop’ mode. Check there is no metal bridging the center studs and outer rail. Make sure all locos and rolling stock are properly on the rails. If it’s still not working, remove sections of track until it starts to work again.

Must build something
Offline fejobelo  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2021 04:52:04(UTC)
fejobelo

Many thanks for the advice, I did all of the above and keep getting the same message, even when the track is not connected to the transformer. I wonder at this point if it could be a problem with the MS itself. Learning very quickly that the key to problem solving is understanding if it’s the train, the transformer, the wires, the tracks or the controller the one with the issue.

I tried to measure the voltage in the track with a multimeter but didn’t get any reading, not sure if I am placing the + and - in the right place of the track.

Thanks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2021 09:03:40(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
That set supposedly came with a MS2. Is that what you have?

The track output circuitry for the MS2 is actually in the square grey / black track box, and it may be it is faulty. Do you have a friend or a dealer with a working MS2 / track box that you can try your MS2 / track box out with to see which is faulty.

Is the set still under warranty and can you get it fixed by your dealer?
Offline scraigen  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2021 11:25:30(UTC)
scraigen

Originally Posted by: fejobelo Go to Quoted Post
I tried to measure the voltage in the track with a multimeter but didn’t get any reading, not sure if I am placing the + and - in the right place of the track.

If it's in 'stop' mode then there shouldn't be any voltage across the track, that should mean it has applied voltage to the track registered a current high enough to be classified as a short circuit and cut the voltage across the track. If it still won't come out of stop mode even with no track connected then as Bigdaddynz says it could be a fault within the trackbox itself.
Must build something
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2021 12:39:39(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Break the problem down to its barest components. Check the voltage coming out of the transformer with nothing connected to it. If that is correct connect the transformer to the MS2 with nothing connected to the MS2. If the MS2 with nothing connected to it will not release the stop then you have a bad MS2. Unless the MS2 comes out of "STOP" you will not get power out of it. If you can get power out of it then add the connecting cable. Check again. Then add one track and check again. Just keep adding and checking.
Offline Donb  
#7 Posted : 04 January 2021 15:36:04(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Pressing the stop button turns track power on and off. When the MS2 starts up, it goes into Stop mode automatically, Pressing it turns track power on. Counter intuitive.
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ