Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biswasg  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2020 08:56:46(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
I am building my first permanent layout. After having laid the tracks, I am considering installing light signals. However, the prices of the Marklin digital signals seem expensive. Before diving into them, looking for advice on alternative brands which are better value for money.
I see many options like Viessman, but not sure how to compare. I am looking at around 10 signals to be installed, mainly block/entry with without distant.
Thanks
Gautam
Offline PJMärklin  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2020 10:48:58(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biswasg Go to Quoted Post
I am building my first permanent layout. After having laid the tracks, I am considering installing light signals. However, the prices of the Marklin digital signals seem expensive. Before diving into them, looking for advice on alternative brands which are better value for money.
I see many options like Viessman, but not sure how to compare. I am looking at around 10 signals to be installed, mainly block/entry with without distant.
Thanks

Hello Gautam,Smile

I do not have any digital light signals on my (digital) layout.

The vast majority are simple Brawa metal light signals but alas they have not been produced for some years now.

As an alternative I have since used simple Viessman signals (not digital signals) which I have found to be
quite satisfactory, I expect they would well suite your purpose.

Some sample pics of some of my six Viessman light signals (all my other signals, including all the block signals
remain as the old Brawa metal units.) :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
(Oops! due to other projects in this area we haven't had the planting ceremony for the tree yet OhMyGod )

Regards,

PJBigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2020 10:52:43(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I use Viessmann signals. They just consist of the plastic, the leds, diodes and resistors for the lighting, but nothing for the changing the aspect or cutting track-power. (-So in the end they are not really that cheap.)
They are even available in DIY kits, of which I have assembled some too...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline klarinettmeister  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2020 21:54:13(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
I have bought many Märklin signals and I think that are awesome. The older versions were bad work cables and the distant signals had to short cables and the cables to the main signals were soldered to the PCB.

The newer generation has much better solutions and also the MFX allows you to simulate light bulbs with fading of the lights. They are worth the money alright that are on the expensive side.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline rrf  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2020 23:07:50(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I have found the combination of an M84 decoder (60842) and "Startup" (a.k.a. Hobby) signals (74371 or 74391) to be a more economical way to implement digital signals. Besides track power and the home signal, the M84 can also control a 74380 distant signal. Current online calculated per signal price is:

(1 x M84 @ $72.90 + 4 x 74391's @ $21.99) / 4 = $40.22 per signal

This compares favorably to the 74691 home signal @ $81.90.

The other thing I like about the M84 is the ability to connect sensor tracks (circuit or contact) and use them for automated route control without the need for a central station. My son's layout uses this method for block control with his MS2.

Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline biswasg  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2020 18:07:18(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Maybe I will start with the Maerklin hobby signal range. As a newbie, I am also looking for some advice to the different kinds of signals (Home, entry, block, distant), their usage, and placements. In Switzerland, I understand that the masts are on the left of the track. Wish you all a better 2021.

Gautam