Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Demch  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2020 21:42:23(UTC)
Demch

United States   
Hello, I am wiring a new layout with 52 S88 connections and will be using M83 decoders for turnouts that are not visible. I will be using ESU Servos for all visible turnouts. And I will be using the M84 for some lighting. I understand the optimum size for wires in the US is AWG 22 stranded wire for all of these applications. My question is can I use AWG 18 stranded wire instead for these items? I have a large amount of this size wire in all of the correct Marklin colors and would like to use it if possible, but do not want any electrical issues down the road because the size of the wires was too large for the application.

My layout is on a table that is 12 feet by 5 feet and has 4 levels with about 200 feet of track. I am using K Track for the entire layout which will be controlled by a CS3 +.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Dave E in Cleveland, Ohio USA

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Demch
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2020 22:14:21(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Since you are going up in wire size there is no electrical issue. However, the larger the wire, the more difficult it sometimes is to insert the wire into terminals, plugs, etc. If you end up cutting off strands to make the wire fit into a terminal, you are effectively reducing the wire gauge at that point and if you remove too many then you could have an electrical issue.

On my layout I sometimes end up using AWG#16 and have still managed to have it fit most terminals.

Peter
Offline Demch  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2020 22:21:28(UTC)
Demch

United States   
Thank you Peter for the response, I hadn't thought about the connections to the devices yet. Great idea to just trim some strands.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2020 22:26:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dave
Basically the wire size is decided by:
- the short circuit current 3 A or 5 A with Märklin Digital. Important to make sure the short will be detected always.
- the voltage drop to be kept at a minimum

Usually, with 0.75mm² you are OK for currents up to 5 A
For larger layouts, you may consider to have a power line (Ringleitung) and I use 2.5 mm² to branch smaller feeders every 2 m of track
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB