Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2020 14:01:09(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Hi everyone.

I have just acquired a Marklin 3072 BR212, Along with it came the 60944 upgrade pack. I have an ESU LokPilot ready for this but!!!

I am guessing that this is an AC motor that has some sort of reversing module built in. There are two wires that have come adrift (mentioned before I bought it so OK). However, I think I can see where one goes but I can't see a place for the other.

I could do with some help here regarding the whole project.

1. Can someone tell me where these wires go?
2. Can someone explain about the motor and what I actually have
3. I understand that it is a Delta controlled item. I can't see any decoder in it. Where is it?

David

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2020 15:07:57(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone.

I have just acquired a Marklin 3072 BR212, Along with it came the 60944 upgrade pack. I have an ESU LokPilot ready for this but!!!

I am guessing that this is an AC motor that has some sort of reversing module built in. There are two wires that have come adrift (mentioned before I bought it so OK). However, I think I can see where one goes but I can't see a place for the other.

3. I understand that it is a Delta controlled item. I can't see any decoder in it. Where is it?

David

Hello David!
What you have is a plain old analog BR 212, nothing delta or digital about it.
The loose wire should be coming from the reversing unit , where you can see a little tag with solder, but nothing attached to it.
You'll have to take it all out anyway, so I wouldn't biother trying to fix it.

Now for the real question: converting to a new motor (the kit you have) and with a digital decoder.

The problem with this loco is that the earlier versions would have a chassis that interferes with the 60944 magnet .
You won't know until you try to assemble it, but then it will become very obvious.
When I was converting those (in another life..) I would slightly machine the chassis to adapt it.
Also the transmission mechanism on this one is a little finnicky, so be patient , and befor you take it apart, take a good look (and pictures?) so you'll remember .

Good luck and do not hesitate to ask questions while performing the surgery!Laugh

Happy new Year, you've picked up a nice project to start it!!Wink Wink

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2020 18:17:21(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone.

David

Hello David!
What you have is a plain old analog BR 212, nothing delta or digital about it.
The loose wire should be coming from the reversing unit , where you can see a little tag with solder, but nothing attached to it.
You'll have to take it all out anyway, so I wouldn't biother trying to fix it.

Now for the real question: converting to a new motor (the kit you have) and with a digital decoder.

The problem with this loco is that the earlier versions would have a chassis that interferes with the 60944 magnet .
You won't know until you try to assemble it, but then it will become very obvious.
When I was converting those (in another life..) I would slightly machine the chassis to adapt it.
Also the transmission mechanism on this one is a little finnicky, so be patient , and befor you take it apart, take a good look (and pictures?) so you'll remember .

Good luck and do not hesitate to ask questions while performing the surgery!Laugh

Happy new Year, you've picked up a nice project to start it!!Wink Wink

[img]http://[/img]

So the pictures came after and now I have some trouble.

The easy bits first. I assume that the Orange and Grey from the decoder go to the two resistors as in this image

UserPostedImage

The red and the black presumable attach to this wire with the (?) suppressor on it and to the chassis? Is that suppressor needed(if it is one!!)?

UserPostedImage

Now, the big problem. I have to refit the front bogie but I can't see how it all gets driven. The bogie only fits with the big cog meshing with nothing. I can't see how to connect the drive to the bogie.

UserPostedImage

HELP!!!!!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline twmarklinfan  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2020 18:24:04(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
David,

There was a black H shaped piece, one end of the h fits into the two holes in the cog on the Bogie. the other end fits into the holes on the cog in the motor, just to the left of the red wire in your photo.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2020 18:47:32(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: twmarklinfan Go to Quoted Post
David,

There was a black H shaped piece, one end of the h fits into the two holes in the cog on the Bogie. the other end fits into the holes on the cog in the motor, just to the left of the red wire in your photo.

D'oh! I had the piece but missed where it came from. Thanks. Onwards and up - smile,
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2020 23:18:38(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: twmarklinfan Go to Quoted Post
David,

D'oh! I had the piece but missed where it came from. Thanks. Onwards and up - smile,

OK, good progress!
Now you'll see wether the power bogie turns freely and completely without interfering with the magnet.
I'll get you more comment tomorrow on the wiring details.
Getting late over here...Wink Wink
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2020 12:18:53(UTC)
bph

Norway   

So the pictures came after and now I have some trouble.

The red and the black presumable attach to this wire with the (?) suppressor on it and to the chassis? Is that suppressor needed(if it is one!!)?

UserPostedImage

HELP!!!!!

Hi
No need for the "suppressor", just remove it.

you might consider two E276770 lamp sockets that fits E610080 light bulbs. they fit inside the old lamp sockets, and gives you flicker free light. Easy to install.

http://hovland.net/bilder/mj/3motor.jpg
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2020 22:30:13(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
OK! time to check if there is no mechanical interference between the powered bogie and the chassis.
Trying to explain with a picture

3072 Conversion.jpg

Check, after you reinstalled the pivot screw underneath, that the bogie can rotate completely, meaning the ends of the green and the red edges need to touch the corresponding edges of the chassis.
If the rotation is *less* than complete in any direction, it means that the new permanent magnet interferes with the bogie.
Later versions of the magnet have a cut out that alleviate this interference, but better to verify it before re-assembling the whole thing.

Of course you'll know for sure after you test the loco on an R1 track segment!! Wink Wink

As for the bulb, i'd agree with the above suggestion of using a 2 prong socket and avoiding the use of the chassis' ground return which will create an annoying flickering. .
I even now use a white LED and a 1.5k resistor in series instead of an incandescent bulb.

Good luck in completing the job, but do not hesitate to ask for more clarification if needed.

Cheers

Jacques
Offline waterslip  
#9 Posted : 25 December 2020 22:04:33(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
One last thing I forgot to ask; after installing the motor how do you assign the loco an address on the digital layout?
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 26 December 2020 00:55:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
All new addresses from ESU decoders have the decoder number 3., to program another loco number it depends on which command station, mobile station you have.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode