Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2019 16:08:48(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Recently I updated my CS2 to the current software versions (CS2: 4.2.8(4), GFP: 3.81) and today I saw an information message which I have never seen before.

"Mfx locomotive Lok-1 :The readout of the settings was not successful."

I was running three locos which have all been registered with this CS2 for some time. They all have names, none of which are Lok-1. I did not open the configuration page for any of them or ask for a readout from a decoder. They all seem to be operating normally, but after a few minutes of running these messages started to appear. I can acknowledge the message but after several minutes it reappears. Until I acknowledge the message I have no control of my trains, which is obviously not good.

Has anyone else seen this problem or know what might be causing it to occur?

Thanks.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2019 12:18:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jim

Each time I update one of my CS2, then the MFX registration must be done.
I believe there are 2 types of registrations:
- the initial one which is long (10/20 seconds)
- the update registration (when you back-up data on a USB stick or when changing versions.

I perform the initial MFX registration (new purchase) on the programming track (although Marklin says its not needed) while all other locos are powered and connected. One of the reasons is the use of the 100W power supply (large number of locos fed by one supply reduce the strength of the MFX answer-back signal

The update registration I do on the main track with a quick call (or selection) of each loco on the CS2 and one sound activation (whistle). This allows me to register all my 32 on-track locos within 2 minutes.

So in your case it appears the connection was not OK with one of your locos so you can redo it any time I think.
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2019 13:44:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

So in your case it appears the connection was not OK with one of your locos so you can redo it any time I think.
Cheers

Jean

Thanks for your input Jean.

That is interesting, because I thought that once a decoder was registered and listed in my loco list registration was complete, but what I saw suggests that you are correct. I have never gone back and done the second small registration by calling up each loco and activating a function. I guess it was happening in the background and as long as it was successful I would never know that it had occurred. It was odd because this did not happen the first time that I ran my system after this update but on the second run. Yesterday I started the CS2 up again and I never saw that message, so I guess that it is now OK. My fear was that this would continue and prevent me from operating my CS2.

Regarding where the loco is located during initial registration I had my only MFX registration failure when I tried doing it "on the main". It did start the registration process but it did not finish and I was left with a partial registration and no control of that decoder. I removed it from my loco list and registered it on the programming track and then it was fine.

As the old saying goes - you learn something new every day. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2019 03:34:30(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have a little more data but no more understanding.

Today I looked at "All" versus "Recent" locos and I had 7 new roster entries - Lok-1(0...6), each of which failed to read out data, primarily I assume because they don't actually exist. BigGrin

I don't know what generated these imaginary locos but luckily now that they are deleted everything seems fine again and there no more locos being conjured from MFX wonderland. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 17 December 2020 19:17:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
My CS2 has been mostly stable for about a year and a half but now it is acting oddly once again and I am curious to hear if anyone has seen any similar behavior.

I currently have just 5 mainlines running. They are powered by the booster in the CS2 and two external boosters and I have only a single train running on each line. So this is about the most basic layout that I can imagine.

Everything has been fine for 3-4 weeks until two days ago when I once again got the mysterious pop-up message that the readout of Lok-1 had failed. But everything still continued to work normally and eventually I parked my trains and shut down the CS2.

But yesterday while running only two locos (one on each external booster) my MainStation app froze and the CS2 display was replaced by a red square in the upper left of the screen. At that time MainStation reported that it had lost its connection to the CS2. I hit the stop button to halt the running trains and when I pressed the stop button again the CS2 display returned. It did not appear to have rebooted but just temporarily lost its display and communication with my tablet. I restarted MainStation and then restarted the same two trains and after just a couple of minutes the same thing happened again. I was not in a debugging mood, so I just shut it all down.

Today I was able to start up and run all five of the trains without a problem or making any changes. I did delete the entry created for Lok-1, but otherwise I didn't change anything else. I have no clues as to the mysterious mfx registration attempt and whether that was related to CS2 failure, so I am at a loss as to what to investigate next. I also had one instance of something other than the CS2 triggering a function on one of my locos. I don't know if I need to replace this CS2, which is running the most current software, or if the problem is elsewhere.

If anyone has any insights, they would be greatly appreciated. It is almost time to deploy my yard and get many more trains up and running but I would prefer to get this simple layout working correctly before I add more things to the mix.
Regards,
Jim

Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 17 December 2020 22:46:34(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jim
This is just a shoot in the dark. Can it be that communication issues between your (WiFi?) router the CS2 and the tablet may cause this?
For instance I discovered than my WiFi router, when installed too close to the layout may cause phantom detection in M88 entries.
Cheers
Jean
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2020 00:47:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Can it be that communication issues between your (WiFi?) router the CS2 and the tablet may cause this?
For instance I discovered than my WiFi router, when installed too close to the layout may cause phantom detection in M88 entries.

Hi Jean,

Interesting idea, which I had not considered or have even seen discussed. My WiFi router is currently located very near to my CS2 and some of the boosters.

In the same way that your router caused phantom M88 detection, mine could be inducing phantom feedback which the CS2 might see as a failed mfx registration. It might also be the cause of the function triggering that I sometimes see, with no sign that it came from the CS2. I will try locating my router further from my CS2 and see if that solves my problem.

If you idea is correct it could explain all manner of odd behavior in that whole system.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 24 December 2020 17:01:08(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Hi Jim
This is just a shoot in the dark...

Well Jean, it appears that you have very good aim, because your shot in the dark may have hit the target. ThumpUp

My WiFi router was packed in with my layout electronics tighter than usual this year and it was near to all of my boosters and immediately adjacent to my terminal and therefore to the bus wiring. That was pretty stupid now that I look back on it and I should have known better. Confused

About a week ago I moved the router and it is now two meters away from any of my layout wiring or components. It is too early to say for sure but so far I have not seen even one digital control anomaly. I write software professionally and I have debugged a lot of software and systems, but RF interference had not occurred to my, although it should have. Your input let me get back on track so to speak with my debugging and hopefully I have found a solution.

I will report again later as to how durable this fix is. This something to be aware of and maybe I am the only Märklinist dumb enough to have not considered it. Laugh

My yard and many more trains will be hitting my track soon and the five trains that I currently have running are all operating perfectly.

Thank You. A Merry Christmas to you and to all of my helpful Märklin friends. BigGrin

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 24 December 2020 18:33:13(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jim
I am glad if can be of any help (not sure but tryingBigGrin ).
Have a merry Christmas and lets enjoy our families and stay safe.
Jean