Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fynrfin  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2020 16:15:46(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Dear Marklinistas,

I have been working on track plans for a long time. For Christmas my youngest gave me the gift of helping me work on my train room while she is home from college, so now I have to get serious. The room and benchwork is fairly given.

There is access from the bottom and from the right. The left and topside are along the walls.

The green in the picture is a raised "parade strecke"

I plan to enforce right-side driving on the double-track stretches.

Ii tried to combine storage tracks and a station on the right hand side, so I could see my models, even when they are parked.

I don't have all the turnouts or regular track yet, so I left room for a branch line that could also serve as another reverse loop.

My concerns from an operational point of view is the congestion at the station and the short station tracks.

I plan to run digital (my old IB is still working), upgrading to computer control as finances allow it, so wiring will have to be done with that in mind.

Feedback please.

sporplan december 2020.jpg
Steen Jorgensen
Planning a Northern European (DSB and DB) C-track layout with IB control.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fynrfin
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 07 December 2020 19:37:52(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
You might consider rotating the station counter clockwise by 90 degrees to give you longer tracks in the station. The station throats could then be below the left and right upper inside corners f the access area.

Regards,
Roger
Offline scraigen  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2020 21:15:49(UTC)
scraigen

What track type? There is lots of scope to use wide radius curves (if C or K track).

What do you want to get from it, what sort of running do you want and scenery wise what bit interests you the most the dense track on the right or the minimal left?

On my own layout I found that the more gentle and sweeping the curves the more I liked it, I also tried to avoid long stretches parallel to the edges of the board, but it really depends on your preferences. There are no wrong answers, whatever enables you to enjoy it.
Must build something
Offline fynrfin  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2020 01:47:30(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Originally Posted by: scraigen Go to Quoted Post
What track type? There is lots of scope to use wide radius curves (if C or K track).

What do you want to get from it, what sort of running do you want and scenery wise what bit interests you the most the dense track on the right or the minimal left?

On my own layout I found that the more gentle and sweeping the curves the more I liked it, I also tried to avoid long stretches parallel to the edges of the board, but it really depends on your preferences. There are no wrong answers, whatever enables you to enjoy it.

Good questions.

I am using C-track

I would like to "store" a number of trains in the yard and send them out to run along the mainline to watch - this I would make automatic eventually. I like to watch my trains run, and then play with shunting in the harbor.

Scenery wise, I imagined the right-hand side as a station with a large yard and the left either a town or a village.

I hear you on the softening curves - I will work on that. As to parallel to the edge, would you also make the back paradestrecke curve or keep it straight along the back wall?

Cheers,

Steen

Steen Jorgensen
Offline fynrfin  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2020 01:50:10(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
You might consider rotating the station counter clockwise by 90 degrees to give you longer tracks in the station. The station throats could then be below the left and right upper inside corners f the access area.

Regards,
Roger

Thank you, good suggestion. How would I explain the big yard on the right hand side then?

Steen

Steen Jorgensen
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 08 December 2020 07:24:39(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: fynrfin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post

Regards,
Roger

Thank you, good suggestion. How would I explain the big yard on the right hand side then?

Steen

Great opportunities for a layout! I also share the suggestion from Roger, and I also propose this:

- Move most tracks in the big yard on the right hand, to a hidden/shadow station under the main layout. I would plan for 30-40 cm vertical clearance, therefore a double-track helix would be appropriate for access. A hidden/shadow station will provide more trains and more terrain opportunities.

- Avoid bottle-necks like the one indicated below (in red).

- Don’t make the board too wide (indicated in blue). Else there will be chlallenges accessing the upper left area of the layout.

Smile

51C0A148-10EF-4E10-A85B-E89A67B7A37B.jpeg

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Jvdwaa  
#7 Posted : 08 December 2020 14:52:58(UTC)
Jvdwaa

Netherlands   
Partly already posted in Marklin-user.net FB page, but now with some additions....
FB: Basically there is one flow to begin with: once a train has changed direction in the loop on the right side, it will never be able to change direction again.
Additional: Once you are running clockwise, you will never be able to change direction.
Also: driving on the right clockwise, you will end from the right side driving on left-side driving where there is a small section which has the be used bi-directional. That is a good recipe for a deadlock when driving automated....
Solution:
You can create a lower level to send them away for a long trip on the lower level. It will be more surprising that a loc is not always in sight.
On the lower level you can also create the second return loop.

FB: Secondly, there are many tracks on the right, so it will be tracks, tracks and tracks. Nice to see all your trains, but it will be more like a train showroom.
Solution:
On the lower level you can also park some trains.
By moving track to a lower level you can create more space for the fiddle yard and making the segments between turnouts longer.

FB: Thirdly, many dead end tracks are short, just enough to park a small loc.
Solution:
Free up space so you will have longer tracks.

Btw, this also goes for the station: tracks at the station are very short (as mentioned earlier)

On the harbor section there is a logistic problem: you have to go up and down 5 times via dead-end tracks before yo can reach the right track. This will be a blocking issue if there is more than 1 train is ending up in the harbor section (the first will be blocked by the second).
Solution:
Make the entry to the section in such a way that you don't have to go up and down.

The suggestions for a more interesting layout are also given on the FB page.

One other tip: use a good design program (like the free xtrkcad), I see many tracks in your design that are not properly connected....
Offline rbw993  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2020 01:26:02(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Passenger stations are not necessarily adjacent to yards. Especially in cities or towns where real estate is expensive.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline PeFu  
#9 Posted : 09 December 2020 07:23:28(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Here’s an exampel of how a dogbone could be planned to provide longer station tracks and less ”congested” surface deriving more space for buildings and terrain. I propose a double-track line between the reversing loops.

Smile

Lower level
084E7CC6-EE7C-4EFC-936F-EC81274E8E0D.jpeg

Mid level
72332C11-B73D-4D53-97B4-59DCEDC8CAA0.jpeg

Upper level
72F340AC-5DE3-4716-9D15-EE10C6B8BBA9.jpeg
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline fynrfin  
#10 Posted : 09 December 2020 15:16:54(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Thank you so much, I need to be brave enough to go for multilevel.
Steen Jorgensen
Offline scraigen  
#11 Posted : 09 December 2020 20:09:53(UTC)
scraigen

You have a lot of space to do a lot and solve many of the issues raised in the above discussion without going multilevel if you don’t want to. It would certainly make things easier. I’d put the town on the right, the station across the top and the yard on the right, it would be a good idea to plot from each platform how a train would get back to that platform travelling in the opposite direction - assuming that’s what you want. I like trains to travel whatever direction I feel like on any track as the mood takes me.
Must build something
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline Borsig-Werke  
#12 Posted : 17 December 2020 18:21:42(UTC)
Borsig-Werke

Finland   
You might be interrsted to check märklin trackplan book 07451, which has somewhat similar plan called Mountain country

trackplanMountain.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Borsig-Werke