Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline plg  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2020 23:03:09(UTC)
plg

United States   
Hello all!

After many years I am coming back to model railroading- specifically Marklin. It is very nice to be here. I have a fairly sizeable collection of 1st generation Marklin digital trains (I used the 6021 control unit and all my loco's have F1-F4 functions) which had to be boxed up for years after I moved and which I never got the opportunity to use again- until now.
I have designed a new layout and I would be interested in knowing if the decoders of my trains could be upgraded to mfx ones. I have been amazed by the # of new functions the new decoders offer not to mention that I would no longer have to use the internal dip switches for locomotive addresses etc. And I guess having mfx decoder would also facilitate use of the new central station.

I would like to know if the upgrade to mfx is possible and if it would be very involved/costly. I would have this done professionally.

Many tanks in advance for your thoughts.

Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2020 23:54:10(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   

yes, they can be upgraded to mfx.
yes, that can be costly.

But, you don't need mfx to get rid of DIP switches and get multiple functions.

Any modern DCC decoder can add multiple functions, sound, etc. plus the ability to change the address via a programming track.
Such decoders can be much cheaper than ones with mfx.

What you won't get without mfx:
1) the automatic unique address assignment (Address allocation is only really needed once per loco per layout)
2) all the issues of the loco not being found by the controller (see numerous posts about "can't find loco" etc)

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2020 00:54:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
There will be always discussions about which new digital controller should you use, my preference is the ECoS and if you don't want a new controller or use ESU decoders you could ask yourself why ? the answer is simply: with ESU decoders you can use your current 6021 and you be able to have 16 Aux functions, each 4 Aux functions having its own address., all you need is a Lokprogrammer., If you want a new digital controller stay with the same brand "ESU" and all your decoders (locos) will be automatically recognized (RailcomPlus) but of course its up to the individual modeler to choose their own brand. with an ECoS you can also connect your 6021 and any controller., your 6021 will be upgraded to handle 255 addresses instead of 80.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2020 15:11:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: plg Go to Quoted Post

I would like to know if the upgrade to mfx is possible and if it would be very involved/costly. I would have this done professionally.

As others have said, it is definitely possible. But the next question is what you want to achieve by going to mfx. Yes it has lots of extra functions available, but most of these are sound functions, which has the implication that you are looking at fitting your locos with sound. That will get expensive.

There are essentially two ways to do this (the costs are reasonably comparable, but check): -
1 - fit marklin mfx decoders.
2 - fit ESU Loksound M4 decoders (M4 is ESUs name for mfx due to trademark issues).

Either way each loco will require a motor upgrade kit which converts the motor from a 3 pole AC Universal motor to a 5 pole DC motor. For most locos this is a straightforward upgrade, but some locos such as 3015/CCS800 series crocodiles and other items with the very large motors this can be a more difficult but not impossible task.

The decoders can be supplied with sounds pre-loaded or you can load suitable sounds yourself.

The decoder kits from marklin and ESU come with a speaker, but that is not necessarily an optimum speaker for the loco, so you may need to fork out for a different speaker. Also some locos may need part of the chassis milled out to properly fit the speaker inside, especially older locos where this concept wasn't even a twinkle in anyones eye when they were designed.

if you have them professionally fitted then (hopefully) the person fitting them has already done a number of similar upgrades, so the work involved should be straight forward and not add too much to the per loco cost. But whatever you do to go in this direction will involve in a bit more than some small change depending on the size of your fleet.
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2020 17:52:14(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
If your locomotives have a permanent magnet DC motor (c90 etc), you can in most cases just replace the decoder. eg with an msd3 or mld3, depend on if you want sound or not.
If your locomotives have a field coil motor (AC) you will have two choices, either upgrade with a 60906 decoder or get a motor replacement kit and a suitable decoder when possible. Be sure to get the right motor kit. There might be some locomotives that are not easily upgradeable. eg like an early sinus drive locomotives or an early digital crane etc.

but remember, you can operate all your old digital locomotives on a new Märklin central station/controller. And you can operate all Märklin mfx locomotives on an old 6021 and use up to 16 functions, (assigning several addresses to a single locomotive). You can also program a modern locomotive using 6021 (MM protocol). (changing addresses and settings etc using cv programming).

before you start to upgrade it could be sensible to choose if you want to go with ESU/ controller decoders, or Märklin decoders and controller. it’s not a must and you can mix. Both makers have their strengths and weaknesses. You will find more information when you search the web. There are of course other makers etc.

As for the Märklin and the mfx ""can't find loco" etc", I believe later software has solved most of this. but there is also the human factor......... (I have had the cs3 for a while now, and have yet to experience this “issue”)

If you getting a professional to do the upgrade, make sure to use one who actually knows what he is doing and not one who thinks he knows it. In some cases, it might also be more economical to sell the old and buy a new modern locomotive. Or buy a used locomotive with a modern mfx/dcc decoder.

Personally, I upgraded from a 6021 to a Märklin CS3 and am quite happy. I have upgraded a good portion of my old digital locomotives to Märklin mfx, but not all. I do have a few with ESU mfx decoders and are happy with them, but currently, I only use Märklin mfx decoders. I install and program the decoders myself (i have a Märklin decoder programmer). My main reason for upgrading to cs3 was that I was running out of addresses to use with the 6021. I looked deeply into the ESU Command Station, but in the end, I landed on a Märklin cs3+, and Märklin decoders only. if I had landed on ESU I would also have used more ESU M4 decoders. I do find that mfx works well on cs3, and currently, I have no need for the DCC protocol, so I have disabled that protocol. But that might change in the future. I still have around 15 old locomotives that “only” operate on the MM protocol.
Offline plg  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2020 23:14:57(UTC)
plg

United States   
This is great!
Thanks! I am learning so much after having been out of the loop for such an extended time. I had no idea regarding the choices of decoders etc. I will look into this a lot more. My original intention was also to go with CS3+ which seems excellent also because of the layout control etc- and as such I assumed that mfx would be the way to go.

I believe that all my loco's have the 5 pole engines so I suppose it would be just a matter of replacing the decoder if I decide to go ahead. Most if not all have speakers installed. But I will need to go back and double check the exact models I have- it has been quite a while. And yes if I go ahead I would have this done by a Marklin authorized repair center.

Just out of curiosity, assuming that only the decoder needs to be changed what is the general ballpark cost of doing that whether that would be using Marklin or ESU? (Or possibly DCC though I would be more inclined to go with the first 2). As bph suggests, in some cases it might just make more sense to get a new or used loco with mfx already installed.

Out of the collection I have I think I would upgrade 6 or 7 loco's that I particularly like. Of these I do have 2 non Marklin units- a Brawa DRG 06 steam loco (digital with sound- not current one that apparently does have an mfx decoder) and a Roco FS 656 Caimano electric loco (digital but no sound).

Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 29 November 2020 13:53:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Just out of curiosity, assuming that only the decoder needs to be changed what is the general ballpark cost of doing that whether that would be using Marklin or ESU? (Or possibly DCC though I would be more inclined to go with the first 2). As bph suggests, in some cases it might just make more sense to get a new or used loco with mfx already installed.

Both the Marklin and ESU sound decoders are a little over Euro 100. Non-sound decoders are somewhere around Euro 30.

Out of the collection I have I think I would upgrade 6 or 7 loco's that I particularly like. Of these I do have 2 non Marklin units- a Brawa DRG 06 steam loco (digital with sound- not current one that apparently does have an mfx decoder) and a Roco FS 656 Caimano electric loco (digital but no sound).

The Brawa loco may be quite simple to do as it may already have an 8 pin or 21 pin decoder in it. In this case it will be as simple as unplugging the old decoder and plugging in a new one, then setting it up to drive the motor nicely.

The Roco one I am unfamiliar with, but may have an 8 pin decoder, and so would also be a simple plug in job as well.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#8 Posted : 29 November 2020 14:11:57(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
you may want to reconsider having sound in all the locos if you use more than one at once.

Steam locos with sound get especially tiresome after a while.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 29 November 2020 17:25:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
you may want to reconsider having sound in all the locos if you use more than one at once.

Steam locos with sound get especially tiresome after a while.

Hi Dale
This is a matter of choice.
My choice is about using exclusively very quiet locos with sound volume adjusted so that the sound can be heard only if you are nearby.
The layout must also be quiet (avoid M track or C track on plywood without any landscape)
The result is very realistic and when of my locos has a dead sound system I notice it immediately and consider replacing the Sound decoder rapidly.
Cheers
Jean

Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2020 00:21:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

As others have said, it is definitely possible. But the next question is what you want to achieve by going to mfx. Yes it has lots of extra functions available, but most of these are sound functions, which has the implication that you are looking at fitting your locos with sound. That will get expensive.

There are essentially two ways to do this (the costs are reasonably comparable, but check): -
1 - fit marklin mfx decoders.
2 - fit ESU Loksound M4 decoders (M4 is ESUs name for mfx due to trademark issues).

Either way each loco will require a motor upgrade kit which converts the motor from a 3 pole AC Universal motor to a 5 pole DC motor. For most locos this is a straightforward upgrade, but some locos such as 3015/CCS800 series crocodiles and other items with the very large motors this can be a more difficult but not impossible task.

The decoders can be supplied with sounds pre-loaded or you can load suitable sounds yourself.

The decoder kits from marklin and ESU come with a speaker, but that is not necessarily an optimum speaker for the loco, so you may need to fork out for a different speaker. Also some locos may need part of the chassis milled out to properly fit the speaker inside, especially older locos where this concept wasn't even a twinkle in anyones eye when they were designed.

if you have them professionally fitted then (hopefully) the person fitting them has already done a number of similar upgrades, so the work involved should be straight forward and not add too much to the per loco cost. But whatever you do to go in this direction will involve in a bit more than some small change depending on the size of your fleet.

ESU have added a new generation V 5.0 decoder and with this decoder comes a new cube loudspeaker which is excellent, so when buying the latest sound decoder you don't need to upgrade the speaker., regarding the 3015 Crocodile there is a perm magnet upgrade for this loco from ESU as well.
John.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode