Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2020 10:11:53(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, I've combined 5 locos to 1 consist, programmed them to the same speed.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Ross  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2020 20:18:56(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi John,

Well done. What method did you use?

Ross
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2020 20:20:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

Good grief, how many threads did you cross post this in? did it really need to be so many? I think I've got to 5 threads so far. ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2020 23:07:54(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi John,

Well done. What method did you use?

Ross, first I've synchronized all locos to the same speed, this can be done using 2 locos at the time, you can adjust the speed by reducing or increasing it while the locos are running, select the mode: main line, insert the decoder number, e.g. 4650 and select the CV 5, you either can read it or write it and adjust it upwards or downwards, when you've reached the right speed on all of the locos you than select consist and add each loco from the loco menu, you also can check each loco if they all run in the direction if not again select the loco in question and there are arrows whereas you can reverse each individual loco if needed., you also can turn on and off each locos headlights as required but this cannot be done while the locos are in the consist mode you have to select each loco individual and turn lights on and off, the other important part is to have all locos with identical functions, e.g. Acceleration and braking mode, when I run a consist I turn on the acceleration mode, this prevents the locos from pushing and pulling against each other, when time committed I also use 2 pin electrical couplings to increase the overhead connection between 2, 3 etc. etc. locos, however this doesn't work when the braking sections are activated, you will find one loco's pantograph is in the active section and the other in the initiation braking section, to solve this one would have to have the power directed to the track power (directly connected to the decoder and not the track or overhead power) of the second or 3rd loco., another caution one has to be aware of, the loco's 2 pin electrical couplings aren't reversible, so you have to be sure the couplings face the right direction otherwise you create an instant short or you have the 2 pins solely for the middle track power or the overhead supply power, at the moment to get a maximum power supply 1 pin is reserved for the overhead power/slider and the other for the track power, to make sure you've got constant power, you may have noticed the headlights are still flickering on and off on occasions (3 locos) as they have no electrical couplings. (Re 465's, Re 447 (Vectron)

John

Edited by user 25 November 2020 11:59:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2020 23:13:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

Good grief, how many threads did you cross post this in? did it really need to be so many? I think I've got to 5 threads so far. ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown

Thanks for marking my post down, I don't know where you got 5 from,they have been posted in 3 sections, 1 section under digital to show how locos can run as a consist., section 2: what are you running today:, section 3: My layout, you may have noticed members do not always look in each category,. I hope you don't mind me posting them on facebook or other forums ? so hopefully you remove 2 of your thump downs or you may elaborate where you found 5 of them ? or did you get confused having 5 locos in a consist.,
Good Grief, sounds like I've overstepped your authoritarian Authority

John
Offline Ross  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2020 22:55:39(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi John,

It seems you have a good understanding of consists.

I wrote an article which may help others.

Manual consists with the ECoS

For the consist section start on page 8.
This method is for DCC control using locomotive secondary address for ease of detaching/attaching locos to the consist. Functions can be defined for the secondary address for better control.

I hope you all find it interesting.

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2020 00:18:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi John,

It seems you have a good understanding of consists.

I wrote an article which may help others.

Manual consists with the ECoS

For the consist section start on page 8.
This method is for DCC control using locomotive secondary address for ease of detaching/attaching locos to the consist. Functions can be defined for the secondary address for better control.

I hope you all find it interesting.

I also do consists with driver cab car, whereas a lokpilot is fitted into this car, I have several of them: SBB ICN 500, ÖBB Railjet, DB ICE 2, push and pull DB IC,
As shown in my video to add locos to an already existing consist, one has to separate the 2 locos from the existing 5 locos to be able to run them separately, in its initial mode you have 2 consists: 1 with 2 and the other with 3 locos, and running them as 1 consist you than have to combine the other 2 locos to the 3 loco consist.
To identify consist on your ECoS screen is to download pictures of these locos or at least 2 or 3 of them plus you can name them as a 5 BLS consist.
the other tricky part is as, you've mentioned with function outlets to make sure your locos in principle are all programmed with the same functionality. and the same goes for the light functions but this depends on the loco how many different light functions you've installed., with a consist of 5 locos you only should have the first and last locos light on (headlights + Marker lights), My Märklin BLS Re 465 has a 3 + 1 light set up which can't be altered.
It may look easy having 5 locos traveling together but the setup depends on how you've fitted all your light functions in the first place., these days decoders have the ability to add 8 Aux functions + 2 light functions and this enables you to do most variations, again the way I set it all up is a very comprehensive and complex.

for instance light arrangements for Swiss locos with an ESU sound decoder, either 21 or Plux22 :

F0 = 2 head lights front combined with Aux6 = 1 marker light white right rear
F0 = 2 head lights rear combined with Aux5 = 1 marker light white left front

this arrangement enables you to turn off the headlights and the white marker light

Aux1 = interior lights for carriages via 4 pin electrical couplings
Aux2 = interior lights for carriages via 4 Pin electrical couplings
Aux3 = interior cab light front
Aux4 = interior cab light rear
Aux5 = 1 marker light white left front
Aux6 = 1 marker light white right rear

Aux7 = 1 marker light red left front
Aux8 = 1 marker light red right front

this mode of function can also be combined whereas Aux7 and Aux8 is programmed under 1 function outlet, with the latest ESU V 5.0 sound decoders you have 30 Function outlets.

This is the standard method I use when I convert locos and than comes the task to program the decoder's other functionalities such as CV's: constant braking distances, acceleration and braking mode, motor settings, decoder address, sound file functions (sometimes I add extra sound files),

John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109