Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2020 10:30:15(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

I am in the process of designing a track plan as the new house will allow me to add the element of height. I have decided to have version of the Northern end of the Gothardish. I want to have a Hump yard, for the interest and tunnels and Bridges. The new room is 8m by 5m and I plan to take up one side of the room with the new layout. The hidden station is on a level beneath the main layout

Gothard 3-2 Commented.jpg

Comments please

Tim

Edited by user 07 January 2021 15:50:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2020 13:36:33(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Try to fit in a small shadow-station in the upper return-loop. -Otherwise it will quickly become boring when every train you send out to the west, comes back almost immediately...

Also, the many back-and-forth completely straight lines parallel to the edge will not look very realistic... (But somehow I dont think that bothers you at all, it might even be on purpose... ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Timnomads  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2020 14:38:22(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Try to fit in a small shadow-station in the upper return-loop. -Otherwise it will quickly become boring when every train you send out to the west, comes back almost immediately...

Also, the many back-and-forth completely straight lines parallel to the edge will not look very realistic... (But somehow I dont think that bothers you at all, it might even be on purpose... ;-)

Thanks you are correct about the loop at the top, I will try to think of a way of a putting in a small shadow station or taking the double line down in a big helix to the bottom level. As for parallel lines on the edge, that bit is for movements in the yard, where derailments are frequent. The back will be more scenic.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2020 08:56:15(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
One way you could get around having tracks parallel to the baseboard edge is to add a shaped fascia to the front of the layout with a removable scenic area.

Idea for removable scenic area.jpg

Carim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Timnomads  
#5 Posted : 12 November 2020 10:04:36(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
One way you could get around having tracks parallel to the baseboard edge is to add a shaped fascia to the front of the layout with a removable scenic area.

Carim

Thanks for the idea, I will think about it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline orionstars  
#6 Posted : 23 December 2020 15:10:48(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Carim

That’s a clever variation of the idea. My brain is warming up to this and it’s first cups of coffee this morning.

I’ve always liked the notion of exchangeable scenes. Iain Rice has a nice, small, three shelf layout with changeable items. I’ve not thought about using to differently then his presentation ie change a warehouse to a depot. Or one era to another.

Thanks
Offline Timnomads  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2021 15:30:20(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Dear all

I have now taken on board the comments and over the Christmas hols have manged to construct an updated version of the layout design. I have also manged to calculate heights and gradients.

Gothard 1-3 desc4.jpg

Your thoughts and comments please

Tim
Offline scraigen  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2021 16:03:58(UTC)
scraigen

It looks very deep, can you access the back? There is so much track there doesn't seem to be a lot of space for access hatches.

There is an odd wiggly tunnel section just below Wassen station which seems to introduce an S-bend for no apparent reason.

If the lower level storage tracks ran horizontally with the string of turnouts diagonally you could make them longer (I think).

For me personally you have so much space I'd have made more of the station (longer) and more of the turntable/BW area (my favourite part of my layout), but the layout has to be yours and reflect what you want from it not what anyone else thinks.

Looks very challenging but a lot of fun to build!
Must build something
Offline Timnomads  
#9 Posted : 07 January 2021 19:08:06(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi
i will have 50cm access at the back and have left the main spiral open. I love freight so that is the reason for the central freight yard. the wiggle tunnel is to add interest and cope with the wider wassen station above. I will run 2m trains (6 passenger coaces or equivalent freight) i have units to provide stopping train interest of 1m in length.
is 2.9 gradient for the size of train ?