Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2020 22:29:38(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Everyone,
I want to purchase some Märklin SBB cars -also called “Märklin Rollende Landstrasse “ Those are low side flat cars designed to transport TIR trucks ( 18 wheelers) across Switzerland by SBB , ÖBB in Austria and DB in Germany. Basically it’s same design in different paint scheme.
So before I pull the trigger and spend big bucks ( usually they run for 80-95 US for 2 cars ) I would like to ask you Gents if anyone of you had any experience/ information how those cars behave on C-track , how they negotiate switches on layout Ect. Cars are equipped with very small wheels and I am worried that those small wheels my cause some issues / derailment when cars go across Märklin switches.
Any help , advice or tips would be greatly appreciated here.
Thanks in advance for taking time to reply to my query ...
Cheers,
Märklineisenbahn

Edited by user 11 October 2020 02:43:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2020 04:06:24(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have a few of these, so that I can put together Hupac trains from the 90s (4796, 47403, 47423), from the late 90s/early 2000s (47404) and the more recent 47416 (set)/47417 in the new RAlpin livery.

I have not had any issues with operation on C or K track. I did have one car that required a replacement of the bogies, as the wheelsets were not staying in place.

In addition to the cars, you will need to put together a collection of trucks and trailers for the trains.
I set out to assemble a collection of Italian, German and other trucks that you might commonly find on a Swiss ROLA (Hupac) train, including trucks from Mainsped, LKW Walter, Hoyer, Arcese, Jost Group, Pe.Tra, to name a few. It is also important to focus on trailers rather than on containers (load), as containers are usually shipped without the trucks.

As many trucking companies shifted from individual runs using the ROLA system to shipping via KLV/UKV unit trains, it is now rather common to see mainly white/unlabelled trailers or independent truckers using ROLA.

What is important to remember is that these services normally ran from Weil (Germany) into Italy, so it was not common to see Swiss trucks using these services. Swiss trucks could be found on the Hupac route from Basel to Lugano, but most Swiss companies shifted to swap body containers and used other services than the ROLA. It made it easier to transport the load and simply put in on a new truck for delivery/last mile.

It is not common to find ROLA cars from multiple countries together. Some runs on the Brenner might include DB and OBB and maybe even FS cars, but most of these operations are run by specific company (Kombiverkehr, OBB Cargo, etc) and use their own material.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2020 13:55:42(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I can confirm that they are excellent rollers (pun intended). On M and K-track at least. -Sorry, no experience with C-track, but judging from just how well they run here, then...

It's a very eye-catching train, and don't forget a "Liegewagen" which adds quite the touch to the consist! ThumpUp
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline mario54i  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2020 17:12:09(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Mike, I would say you have carefully observed many real RoLas, Youtube is very helpful for this.

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

I have not had any issues with operation on C or K track.

same for me

In addition to the cars, you will need to put together a collection of trucks and trailers for the trains.
I set out to assemble a collection of Italian, German and other trucks that you might commonly find on a Swiss ROLA (Hupac) train, including trucks from Mainsped, LKW Walter, Hoyer, Arcese, Jost Group, Pe.Tra, to name a few.

I would add Berger, quite frequent. FERCAM and Arcese are seen more frequently on Brenner line.

It is also important to focus on trailers rather than on containers (load), as containers are usually shipped without the trucks.

I thought the same, but I've seen on RoLas many tank and bulk containers loaded on trucks.

As many trucking companies shifted from individual runs using the ROLA system to shipping via KLV/UKV unit trains, it is now rather common to see mainly white/unlabelled trailers or independent truckers using ROLA.
What is important to remember is that these services normally ran from Weil (Germany) into Italy, so it was not common to see Swiss trucks using these services. Swiss trucks could be found on the Hupac route from Basel to Lugano, but most Swiss companies shifted to swap body containers and used other services than the ROLA. It made it easier to transport the load and simply put in on a new truck for delivery/last mile.

Never seen Schöni, Planzer, Bertschi and DHL.

BTW, this is the new ACME Ralpin couchette coach, with slider and lighting

Regards

Edited by user 11 October 2020 20:36:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2020 17:32:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Marklineisenbahn Go to Quoted Post
So before I pull the trigger and spend big bucks ( usually they run for 80-95 US for 2 cars ) I would like to ask you Gents if anyone of you hadany experience/ information how those cars behave on C-track , how they negotiate switches on layoutEct. Cars are equipped with very small wheels and I am worried that those small wheels my cause some issues/ derailment when cars go across Märklin switches.

Hi
I am using these cars on C-track for quite a while:
- never did I have any derailment of any kind during operation. They are very safe with C tracks on all radii and small radius turn-outs
- the couplings are fragile especially the molded plastic "springs" which may break. They can be replaced by spares like these

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-...aeb07:g:2BkAAOSwVOle~Yzq

Here is my ROLA in automatic operation

Cheers
Jean

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2020 17:35:29(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Gents,
Mike C thank you for taking time to reply to my
Query. Truly appreciate your very clever and very comprehensive answer. It will be great help and guidance when I start assembling those Rolla / HUPAC sets. Now I can dive in and start ordering those low side cars.
Mario54 , thanks man for great foto and comments
as well.
Just wonder why DHL & Schöni is absent on SBB HUPAC / Rolla consists.
My idea was Ae6/6+Re4/4 pulling 8-10 HUPAC cars
loaded with Schöni, Schenker, Ziegler TIR 18 wheelers.
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2020 18:03:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Schoeni and Zingg are more active in food transport between Italy and Switzerland. They tend to use Pocket cars (47444) by Hupac and the newer variants to transport the trailers between the loading points and their destinations in Switzerland. The trains used to transport these goods are known as the food trains. There are models by Kombimodell, Roco and Piko of this type of load. Maerklin just released a new set of Hupac pocket cars with Schoeni and Pflanzer loads. Those pocket cars are today mainly used for swap containers/containers and are not used for trailers anymore.

Regards

Mike C

Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2020 18:39:15(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hi Mike C,
Your knowledge of Swiss Service is truly impressive Mike. I am tipping my hat off to you and again thanks for another great explanation.
By watching U-Tube short videos, I came across following expedition companies involved with HUPAC /Rolla at least in Switzerland.
Berger
Hangartner
Walter
Europa-Transport
Suerkemper
Fercam
Vos Logistics
Hoyer
So now it will be fun chasing on the net / eBay those above mentioned trucks.
My Best,
Märklineisenbahn

Edited by user 06 December 2020 04:00:29(UTC)  | Reason: Wrong Spelling

Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#9 Posted : 11 October 2020 20:22:14(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Quote...”
Hi
I am using these cars on C-track for quite a while:
- never did I have any derailment of any kind during operation. They are very safe with C tracks on all radii and small radius turn-outs
- the couplings are fragile especially the molded plastic "springs" which may break...”

Hi Jean,
Hope my post finds you well.
Thanks for your feedback and good video - very interesting indeed- especially AUTOMATION of loading trucks on the wagons. I am familiar with Faller car system but please be so kind and explain how you did wiring on the wagons so trucks can go all way in ?
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 11 October 2020 20:45:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hi Mike C,
Your knowledge of Swiss Service is truly impressive Mike. I am tipping my hat off to you and again thanks for another great explanation.
By watching U-Tube short videos, I came across following expedition companies involved with HUPAC /Rolla at least in Switzerland.
Berger
Hargartner
Walthers
Europa-Transport
Suerkemper
Fercam
Vos Logistics
Hoyer
So now it will be fun chasing on the net / eBay those above mentioned trucks.
My Best,
Märklineisenbahn

There is a difference between Rola and KLV/UKV. The Rola trains were made of up special cars and included a couchette coach for the truck drivers. The KLV/UKV trains were made up of cars designed to carry trailers/containers, but not the truck itself. The Rola trains were designed to permit trucks to travel from north to south and vice-versa without adding to traffic on Swiss roads and offering a cheaper alternative to the transit fees that foreign trucks had to pay to travel on Swiss roads.

The trucks would normally drive from their point of departure to Weil am Rhein, just north of Basel, where they would be loaded on trailers and would then run to the south of Switzerland (later into Italy) where the trucks would unload and the drivers would continue on to their destinations, either to deliver goods or to pick up a load for the return trip north.

Over time, with the lead of companies like Kombiverkehr (Germany), OBB Kombi (Austria) and Hupac (Switzerland), new car types were developed which allowed for the transportation of containers, swap bodies and trailers. Very quickly, Hupac offered this new service from Port to destination, which allowed trailers to be loaded onto these cars using a crane and the trailers would then be transported to the destination hub, where the trailer would be lifted from the car and then the load would be delivered by a local operator. This meant that the drivers and the trucks no longer had to accompany the trailer. To simplify this, many major companies either founded subsidiaries or set up partnerships in other countries.

A few of the best known Swiss companies were Danzas and Hangartner. Since then, Danzas was taken over by DHL and Hangartner was taken over by the DB and integrated into DB Schenker. Major Swiss companies which focused on domestic traffic included Dreier, Pflanzer to name a few. SBB started it's own service, Cargo Domizil, which was later sold. SBB Cargo then began it's own (Domino) service.

Hangartner was originally one of Hupac's largest clients. It's UKV unit trains were originally pulled by SBB, but after the DB acquisition, the trains were hauled by BLS Cargo. Vos Logistics (NL) (47081) was also a major Hupac client. It's trains were originally hauled by SBB, but very quickly after the rails were opened up, the contract moved to Rail4Chem and FN Cargo (NordCargo), the freight division of Italy's Ferrovie Nord Milano (which then operated between Milano and Como).
LKW Walter is a major Austrian trucking company. They expanded to include operations from the north of Europe via the Gotthard/Loetschberg in addition to their core route via the Brenner. Competition between operators meant that they could save money by transiting Switzerland rather than the longer route to the Brenner. Maerklin made a set (47075) but this set includes OBB cars and not Hupac Swiss ones.

Another major company that ran UKV trains in Switzerland was Spedition Winner. The red "Winner" trains were initially hauled through Switzerland by red DB 185 equipped for operation in Switzerland using DB container and pocket cars. (47071)

Here are some YouTube pages which might show some ROLA and Hupac UKV/KLV traffic:
https://www.youtube.com/c/REOSRailway/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/lorirocks777/videos
https://www.youtube.com/...rainspotterVideos/videos

Here is a photo of a Hupac/VOS train in Wassen: https://bahnbilder.ch/picture/418
Here are BLS/Hupac ROLA:
https://bahnbilder.ch/picture/278
https://bahnbilder.ch/picture/1579
Here is one with the new RAlpin livery: https://bahnbilder.ch/picture/36923

I hope that this is of use.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 16 November 2020 20:41:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#11 Posted : 11 October 2020 21:34:58(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Mike C,
That’s remarkable info regarding Rolla trains and HUPAC in to Switzerland and out.
Thanks a lot Mike Stay safe and be safe,
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 11 October 2020 21:50:44(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Marklineisenbahn
Thanks for your feedback and good video - very interesting indeed- especially AUTOMATION of loading trucks on the wagons. I am familiar with Faller car system but please be so kind and explain how you did wiring on the wagons so trucks can go all way in ?
Regards,

In the wagons there is no automation but rather, in each one a plastic insert with a guide wire in the center and two stop magnets at each extremity and sideways (under the vehicle's reed switch) to stop the vehicles.
The wagon must be on a non-Märklin track (no iron content) and small bed.

The principle is to stop the wagons always at the precise location. This is because under each stop magnet, there is a coil (solenoid) to cancel the magnet field when you want to free one of the vehicles.

While developing the automatic operation I made these findings:
- use brass or nickel/silver rails and not the Märklin tracks (C, K, M because the iron content acts like a barrier to stop the magnetic field to reach the vicinity of the stop magnet)
- use low profile rail beds (because the field strength diminishes with the square of the distance)
- install thermal protection in these "liberation" coils to shut them down in case the system forgot to switch off.
- increase the voltage recommended by Faller
- on some lorries I had to trim the small adjustment magnet to trim the sensibility to magnetic field for stopping.

Each coil is wired to DC voltage (18 to 20 VDC) and activated by a K84 relay commanded by a CS2 and Rocrail.
In Rocrail, there is an action that orchestrate the activation of the 3 coils (one for loading and 2 for unloading) as each coil can be on only during 10 seconds or so.
It is too bad Faller has discontinued these items.

It took me some component burning and a massacre of a few rail length to succeed Cursing
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline DaleSchultz  
#13 Posted : 11 October 2020 22:32:19(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Here is a video of the the Rollende Landstrasse running on K-track videoed from the train itself.

https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2016/01/rollende-landstrasse-train.html

I have not had any special issues with the small wheels on these cars and I have run the train over 900 scale km!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Ross  
#14 Posted : 12 October 2020 02:03:30(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi All,

I have had cause to fix my Rollende Landstrasse. Please read the following article below.

Strange Bits Log

The information you seek is on page 30
Ross
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline PJMärklin  
#15 Posted : 20 October 2020 14:57:09(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello Marklineers !Smile

I have enjoyed immensely this discussion thread eventually regarding the "Rollende Landstraβe" .

It caused me to reflect that in the very distant past I did acquire two such Fleischmann units before
the later Märklin production (and also the interesting Fleischmann unloading ramp) :

UserPostedImage

(no "Barn-find" dust I hope, Alan !!OhMyGod )

and later two of the the Märklin units that followed in late 1980's (?), all four together shown here
together with the truck-drivers' carriage, on my layout pulled by my BR 151 :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

However, as the discussion on this thread progressed I did feel it a folly that I had included only some of
these units amongst other freight wagons as a part of an overall consist and that they are best set as a
part of a whole train of Rollende Landstraβe.

(Thus enamoured with all this I have sourced this evening on evilBay a few more, so as to make a "pure consist")

I then became very interested in the operation of the ROLA and viewed a number of videos regarding this.

Whilst the discussion on this thread has suggested that the last unit of such a train (which may have a few otherwise
empty freight units at the end of the train) should actually carry a truck, (and this is the case in the overwhelming
majority of the videos I have viewed), rest reassured, those that do search for the exceptions in the prototype to
support the modelleisenbahn exception, it is not always the case, as seen in :

UserPostedImage

at:

and:

UserPostedImage

at:

Thanks for all the discussion - what a great forum this is !!

Regards,

PJ
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 21 October 2020 23:21:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hupac 1.jpg
Hupac.jpg

I posted these a few years back, but thought I would drag them out again.

Regards

MC
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#17 Posted : 23 October 2020 08:55:59(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Gents,
I would like to thank all of you who took time to reply to my query - MikeC, Johnjean , Dale , Ross , PJ Märklin for very interesting and knowledgeable inputs indeed. Forgive me if I miss someone. Blushing

Now , my SBB “ Rolla “ starts showing up at my door step , piece by piece - hope that second wave of Covid won’t delay delivery and will not spoil my fun in lock down.
Gentlemen, I am planning on pulling my Rollendelandstraße consist with one or two BLS Re 465 ( and occasionally SBB Re460 or Ae6/6+Re4/4 ) .... Sooo here is my two more questions for you:

Did Märklin ever produced an updated light strip/ board for Re460/465 ? How one can get rid off those ugly yellow short and long distance lights ( diodes ) on Re 460 model? Any idea ?

And second question slightly off topic...to go around with my SBB Rolla train ... I purchased lovely Roco ( for Märklin ) SBB Postal vans and containers ( one with nice blinking light on the end of train) and I am planning on using SBB Am 4/4 for my SBB postal train. Mike C what do you think about it? Any comments...
Again Thanks for all your help...
Sincerely,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline mike c  
#18 Posted : 23 October 2020 16:05:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
For a Hupac train based on 4796/47403 cars, you will need a begleitwagen (driver's coach), either the white or green model from Sachsenmodelle/Tillig or Lima
For a more recent version using the 47404 cars, you will need a coach from Liliput (388124/125) or as announced from LSM
For the most recent 47416/47417 RAlpin, you will need the couchette coach from ACME (52417/52418) or Maerklin 43612/43613.

As far as locomotives, if you are going to have a train that has 5-7 cars, you will not need a pair of locomotives.

Typical locomotives would be:
Ae 6/6 or Re 6/6 (4796/47403)
Re 6/6 or Re 460: (47404) (No Re 460 post 2002)
Re 465 or Re 485 (47416/47417/43612) BLS/RAlpin

As far as the Am 4/4 (ex-DB), those were used for service trains and were not frequently used in regular operation. The appropriate train for the Roco postal vans and containers would be an Ae 6/6, Re 6/6 or Re 4/4II (Red, Green or Cargo). The Am 4/4 would best be modelled with two flat cars a freight car and maybe a crane and a Dienstwagen if you can find one.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#19 Posted : 23 October 2020 19:43:41(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Everyone,
Hallo MikeC,
Thank you for another great explanation and samples of Swiss consists. Mike your input is truly appreciated here. Thanks a lot.

Gentlemen, any idea in regards to Märklin SBB Re 460/465 lights?
Those strange looking yellow light emitting diodes on Märklin SBB Re 460 engines are very cheap and toyish looking. Did Märklin come out with replacement? Any aftermarket ideas will be welcomed...
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline mike c  
#20 Posted : 23 October 2020 21:02:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It has been quite a few years now that Maerklin has used different LEDs for the Re 460s. Since at least the mid-2000s, they have had bright white LEDs instead of the original yellowish ones.
Different models have had different features (long distance/hi-beams, red (single, double)). You have to look up the functions offered with each model (37460, 37461, 37462, 39460, 39461, etc) to see which options they have. Depending on what decoder/options your model has, you can most likely just solder the wires to the terminals that correspond. There has been no change AFAIK to the light channels or cab insert since the 29859/396XX models.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Timnomads  
#21 Posted : 26 October 2020 13:01:43(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi

At my club (Morges) we have a Rolling Road train of about 2.5m, my only comment is there are an excessive number of small wheels, which increases friction. You therefore need a strong loco to pull it, if the train is of any length, especially if the are gradients, we have 2% on our layout. We have ours double headed with an SBB Ae 10/10

Tim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#22 Posted : 28 October 2020 19:33:59(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Everyone,
As per your advice Gentlemen and multiple tips and recommendations I purchased 6 Rollendelandstraße SBB wagons and 6 Herpa 18 wheelers. Mostly second hand but that’s what I can afford in those strange dark days. ( in lock down - unemployment and uncertainty)
Models slowly one by one start showing up at my door but due to Corona/ COVID-19 I inspect major delivery delays. Especially when stuff is arriving from old continent.
So far BLS Re 465 electric locomotive and 2 cars are here.
I am still waiting for 4 more Märklin HUPAC wagons and 4 Herpa trucks FERCAM, SUERKEMPER, VOS Logistic and HOYER.
I think It should produce realistic BLS Brenner pass consist.
Mike C thank you so much for your help and input.
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline mike c  
#23 Posted : 29 October 2020 01:18:44(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
One thing. BLS would be either Gotthard or Loetschberg and not Brenner, which would be OBB or DB.
The green Hupac coach was from the late 80s/early 1990s, but it looks nice with that consist.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#24 Posted : 04 November 2020 14:36:17(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Everyone,
Mario54i, You have posted earlier picture of A.C.M.E. ROLPIN Couchette wagen to use with Rola train.
This particular wagen comes with out interior lights so here is my question - What type of light bar have you used on your car?
As per manufacturer wagen is ready for interior lighting , but I do not want to open it up with out confirmation what to put in.
Can you advise please...
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline mike c  
#25 Posted : 04 November 2020 18:17:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The Maerklin version (43613) [2020] is designed to be used with Maerklin's LED light kits.
The ACME (1/87) version is equipped with axle contacts for DC current collection. In order to use with Maerklin 3 rail AC, you would have to either install a slider or use current conducting couplers to obtain power from the locomotive, which can be done if you intend to always run the couchette immediately behind the locomotive.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mario54i  
#26 Posted : 05 November 2020 14:58:45(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
As Mike said, the ACME coach comes with current pickup plates only.
I used only one on one bogie. I reversed one axle to have a short between rails for train detection ( and better current pickup ), to do this and solder the wire I had to remove brakes at one side. After removing brakes I couldn't reassemble them and left them away. The copper plate was not firmly fixed and I used some tape.

On the other bogie I removed brakes and plate and put a Märklin slider with a modified base plate, 3D printed. The slider touches into the undercage box (see other picture ) and I removed it.

The light strip is home made, one LED per window.
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#27 Posted : 08 November 2020 15:19:46(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   

Gentlemen Good Day,
Thank you for taking time to reply.

Mario 54i - thanks for photos/ they say picture is worth more then thousand words/ indeed.

MikeC - thank you for your always very interesting input.
Mike if you do not mind I wanna to ask you - Have you seen those HUPAC low wagons ( for LKW TIR lories ) mixed up let’s say SBB/ÖBB in one consist. Reason I am asking it ‘cause I came across Fleischmann set consisting of 2 SBB and 2 ÖBB low wagons ( grey SBB / brown ÖBB ). Any thoughts, comments?
With Warm Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline mike c  
#28 Posted : 08 November 2020 20:54:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
AFAIK, Hupac ROLA cars were only used with Hupac cars. The fleet was built to run a service for SBB/BLS.

There were a number of companies active on the Brenner, including DB, OBB and FS. All three were offering ROLA services through or into Austria. As those trains were pulled by the various railroads it may have been more common to see mixed rolling stock.

Sets like Maerklin's 26/28531 or 47414 with assorted cars are fantasy sets.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#29 Posted : 14 November 2020 16:19:48(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   

Hallo Everyone,
Almost Christmas in November. Big package from Austria [ via Germany] showed up at my door.
Well, I can’t be more happy ‘cause long-awaited H0 lorries for my Märklin Rolla / HUPAC SBB/ÖBB train finally arrived.Superb details will be great compliment to my empty HUPAC cars.
Pics attached below- Gentlemen enjoy!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

My Bests,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#30 Posted : 14 November 2020 16:35:28(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Gentlemen,
Little surprise for Swiss SBB fans :
Swiss Emergency Vehicles and Railway Road Signs and License plates for trucks.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Cheers,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline Timnomads  
#31 Posted : 16 November 2020 12:56:35(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

Assembled my Marklin rolling road over the weekend. This years flat low loaders and driver couchette wagon.

BigGrin BigGrin

Tim

Edited by moderator 16 November 2020 22:14:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mario54i  
#32 Posted : 16 November 2020 13:34:10(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

Youetube link

Assembled my Marklin rolling road over the weekend. This years flat low loaders and driver couchette wagon.

BigGrin BigGrin

Tim

Did you connect two wagons with buffers in the middle of the train ?
Offline Timnomads  
#33 Posted : 16 November 2020 13:41:07(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: mario54i Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

Youetube link

BigGrin BigGrin

Tim

Did you connect two wagons with buffers in the middle of the train ?

Yes, I need the option to change the length easily, rather than having to deconstruct the entire flat bed assembly. Marklin provided the couplings and the close coupling to do either but they are not easy to interchange. The pack comes as two wagons, so I kept the two wagon units together.
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#34 Posted : 16 November 2020 17:57:50(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hi All

Youetube link

BigGrin BigGrin

Tim

Hi Tim ,
Nice ... indeed and love that new Siemens SBB Vectron locomotive. Thanks for video clip. ( only vectron moves a tad to fast for my liking )
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#35 Posted : 16 November 2020 22:13:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
There's a huge danger with reading a thread like this, and it usually relates to wallet space......

"Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"
Offline Timnomads  
#36 Posted : 17 November 2020 09:47:42(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
There's a huge danger with reading a thread like this, and it usually relates to wallet space......

"Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"

One advantage with COVID is we have not been on holiday this year Mad and with the money saved, there is an obvious use for this !!Drool Another factor is Marklins slow production, I have been waiting for 10 months for this ensemble, from initial view in the catalogue to delivery. I like the coop container wagons, but I have been told that even though its in the autumn catalogue, it will not be available until sometime next year.

Because of COVID, for us, christmas is cancelled, so more money should be available for next years catalogue. Mellow

Tim
Offline PJMärklin  
#37 Posted : 17 November 2020 11:09:29(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
One advantage with COVID is we have not been on holiday this year Mad and with the money saved, there is an obvious use for this !! ...
Tim

Ah Tim BigGrin,

You took my words to the FD right out of my mouth !!Laugh ThumpUp
No need, this year, for xxup's famous axiom ("it is easier to seek forgiveness than permission !"LOL )

Regards,

PJSmile
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#38 Posted : 06 December 2020 04:23:04(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
AFAIK, Hupac ROLA cars were only used with Hupac cars. The fleet was built to run a service for SBB/BLS.

There were a number of companies active on the Brenner, including DB, OBB and FS. All three were offering ROLA services through or into Austria. As those trains were pulled by the various railroads it may have been more common to see mixed rolling stock.

Sets like Maerklin's 26/28531 or 47414 with assorted cars are fantasy sets.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike C ,
So to best of my understanding
Central Switzerland and mainly Zürich through the Gotthard Pass ( BLS & SBB & ÖBB & FS )
and finally Western Switzerland supported the Simplon Pass. ( SBB & DB )
Is that correct?
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn

Offline mike c  
#39 Posted : 06 December 2020 19:10:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The routes from north to south are as follows:

Gotthard (base tunnel and original route)

Loetschberg (base tunnel and original route)

Simplon (still original route)

The Gotthard and Loetschberg and the primary north south axes. The main points of access are Basel and Schaffhausen.
The Gotthard route is via Luzern (Passenger) or via Rotkreuz (Freight). A third access connects to Zurich at Arth-Goldau.
Railways operating on the Gotthard are:

Passenger: SBB, SOB (new). SBB trains pulled coaches from international railways (FS Trenitalia, DB, etc). Today, there are far fewer international trains. Most of the traffic is now SBB or SBB/FS Trainsets. SOB is assuming some services to Bellinzona and Locarno over the classic Gotthard route.
Freight: Since the 1990s, deregulation opened up the Gotthard to operators other than SBB. Today, the most frequent are probably BLS Cargo and DB Cargo. TXLogistics had been operating using leased former Crossrail traction.
Around 2005-2010, there were many operators, resulting in colourful consists, including:
SBB Cargo
BLS Cargo
DB Cargo
Nord Cargo (FNM Italy)
TX Logistics
Crossrail
Rail4Chem/European Bulls (partners with Nord Cargo) today part of Captrain

Today, there are far fewer foreign operators on this route, partially due to partnership deals and changes in safety systems.
Many of the mid size operators were swallowed up into others or by state railways.

The Loetschberg has a similar feeding system. Traffic is routed into the Bernese Oberland via the Capital (Bern) region. Once the trains have crossed the Loetschberg, they arrive in Visp/Brig and continue south on the Simplon route.

Railways operating on the Loetschberg are:
Passenger: SBB, BLS (Regional). In the past, BLS operated most passenger traffic, with some concessions on certain routes to SBB. Even those were frequently hauled by BLS Loks between Bern and Brig. International trains (DB, FS, SNCB, etc) (rolling stock) could be found on this route with either BLS or SBB traction.
Freight: BLS Cargo, SBB Cargo, DB Cargo. Crossrail also used to be common on this route. ROLA trains are operated by RAlpin, a joint venture between BLS Cargo and Hupac.

The Simplon route connects the Rhone river line (east-west) to the Italian border. It is used for traffic from the Loetschberg, from French Switzerland and from France heading to northern Italy and beyond.

Simplon traffic is mainly SBB.
Passenger: There are SBB/FS trainsets to Geneva and some traffic through from France.
Freight: Mostly SBB or SBB hauled from Lausanne/Geneva/France
Traffic to and from the Loetschberg as described above.

ROLA trains run from Southern Germany (Weil am Rhein) to Italy via the Loetschberg.
Hupac used to run a domestic service (Basel-Lugano) on the Gotthard. I believe that is currently suspended.

OBB trains (rolling stock) can be found on the Sargans-Zurich line and to a lesser extent on other east-west lines via St Margrethen.
The Railjet trainsets operate using OBB locomotives. SBB rolling stock is currently being tested with these locomotives and OBB pilot coaches. I don't yet know what the exact consists will be.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#40 Posted : 06 December 2020 19:57:26(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Mike C,
Holly Smoke, this is better then Wikipedia for sure.
Your knowledge of the subject is mind blowing.
Are you former employee/ SBB contract worker or what? I am tipping my hat off to you! And would like to thank you Mike for taking time to reply to my posts. I am glad that I am part of this forum ( on and off ‘cause my sickness) but very proud Märklinista.
Have Happy and Healthy Holidays Season- Marry Christmas to you and your loved ones.
With Big Thanks,
Märklineisenbahn
P.S. I hope your package got rerouted properly and
and soon you will have it. Cheers...
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#41 Posted : 06 December 2020 22:02:29(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   

Hi Mike C,
Recently I purchased in Bay Area Märklin 42151 SBB wagon which has reached me via Puerto Rico.Duh..,
Mike , next to my above mentioned Rollendelandstrasse I will be running SBB 4367 Set and BLS 4218/4219
But what is the story behind 42151 ?
It looks to me as a Buffet/ Restaurant car and is in SBB Dark Forest Green & Light Grey livery. [ I thought all SBB Restaurant cars are Maroon or Red/Light Grey ]
So my question- Is it safe to mix-match SBB Dark Forest Green/Light Grey coaches with BLS Dark Blue / Off White ones ? ( Märklin 4216/4218 coaches ) It’s not going to be odd-looking?
Can you clarify that one for me please ?
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline mike c  
#42 Posted : 07 December 2020 04:57:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The 42151 is a salon coach. It was used for special traffic. I am pretty certain that it has seen operation on both the SBB and BLS networks. It was basically a standard EW IV coach, but it had conference type seating. It was one of two such coaches. The second one had one pair of doors.

The coach could likely be used either with the 4367 or with the 4218/4219 coaches.

I have the same model from APC in a brass rebuild of a 1/87 Roco model, but it is in the latest livery white/black/red.

I also have the play area coach from Roco in 1/87.

As far as mixing SBB and BLS coaches, I think that there was at least one train that had both. I have seen BLS EWIV along with FS coaches at one point too.

Regards

Mike C