Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2020 05:27:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
About two and a half years ago I opened a thread about Cookee's Marklin Wonderwheel

In that thread I mentioned that Cookee had purchased the Wonderwheel off a Trademe seller in NZ. What Cookee didn't say was at the time was the purchase also included another item - a Marklin Verkaufsmodelle (literally 'Sales Model'), which Cookee presented at our Club meeting on Friday night (30/10). The model does have a name, but I didn't catch that so I will leave Cookee to fill in the details, but like the Wonderwheel it is made from Marklin Metall components with some extra special custom made parts for good measure.

Apparently this is the second of only two known examples in the World, the other is owned by Frank Ronneburg from Berlin (who we met at the IMA in September in 2019). You can imagine Frank's surprise when Cookee told him he had one...

Capture.JPG

The model works by the locomotive running to one end of the swing, then reverses and runs back to the opposite end, then the sequence is repeated. The arrow follows the loco, thereby showing that it is always 'Marklin time'.

If you were observant you might have noticed something, as Cookee recently changed his forum avatar from the Wonderwheel to an image of this model!

Edited by user 01 November 2020 09:01:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2020 10:21:00(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thanks Dave, yes it's the "Sonnenuhr" (Sundial), catalogue number BKM 14 and produced in 1956 only, whereas the Wunderrad / Wonderwheel BKM 7 was produced from 1954 - 1958 inclusive.

Frank has done an excellent write-up on the model on his own website and I can scarcely improve on it....

https://tischbahn.de/in-schwung-die-sonnenuhr/

There is no way 40 years ago when I embarked on my own Märklin journey that I could have seen my interest and the brand spread as widely as it has. And that for me is one of the delights. I still love the H0 trains, where it all began, but I've found so many side-interests (Steam Machines, Starter Sets, Transparent models, Factory Layouts, Advertising models... on it goes), and then I find there's a whole previously-unknown series of supporting literature around these, it's become all rather consuming I'm afraid.

There are also a couple of videos of Frank's model on Youtube, this video below probably gives the best overview of them, Frank and I both have the Wonderwheel, but the chances of me ever finding the Industrial Layout (with the ping-pong balls) are like an invasion from Mars. Worse actually, a million to one seem pretty good odds!

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline rrf  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2020 10:42:35(UTC)
rrf

United States   
People still ask me why I fell in love with Märklin HO. This video says it all.
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2020 10:50:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Rob, the ping-pong factory is truly awesome.

Here's a short video of my Sundial having pretty much its first run earlier this year...

I'll add some more details in the next couple of days for those interested
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline rrf  
#5 Posted : 01 November 2020 11:25:08(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
You are most welcome Cookee. Pardon my naiveite ... would it even be possible to find all of the Märklin Metal pieces necessary, as well as fabricate any custom parts required, to re-create the Ping Pong Factory?
Here's a short video of my Sundial having pretty much its first run earlier this year...

<Stuff deleted>
Thank you for showing the reversing relay. I was curious about how it was engineered. Does the lok use the catenary for power?

Best regards,

Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2020 19:27:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I'll be interested to see some more details. I'm really brassed off that things didn't work out for me to visit your home while I was in Wellington to see it.

I'm intrigued how the engine reverses, as the lights don't go bright for a reversing pulse, and the change of direction seems too instantaneous for that.

Makes one consider how to make a 'modern' version using some MDF for the track bed with a length of 2205 flex track, and various other bits for the structure.

Similar for the industrial layout and the wunderrad. Having these at exhibitions would be great drawcards.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2020 23:44:05(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I know nothing but I'm guessing it uses catenary power to go one way, hits a track switch like a 5146 etc and switches power to run the other way on track power. You could wire a loco to do that without needing a reversing unit...I think.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 02 November 2020 00:05:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I know nothing but I'm guessing it uses catenary power to go one way, hits a track switch like a 5146 etc and switches power to run the other way on track power. You could wire a loco to do that without needing a reversing unit...I think.

You would be right....Wink
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 02 November 2020 17:44:35(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I will admit that I didn't work it out for myself. I think it was Markus Schild who told me that this was the method the factory used many years ago on exhibition layouts.

You could of course use 6600 but where's the fun in that?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 02 November 2020 20:33:57(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I will admit that I didn't work it out for myself. I think it was Markus Schild who told me that this was the method the factory used many years ago on exhibition layouts.

You could of course use 6600 but where's the fun in that?

And back in '56, the 6600 was still just a wee way from being a new item LOL

One advantage the 6600 would offer is a nice slow-down and acceleration at each end, although thankfully the weight and inertia of the SET 800 somewhat take care of that.

I'll be swapping the body for RailEx, I acquired a nice tidy but authentic example at our last mini-ballot and it's only the body shell that needs to be swapped. I do have another SET 800 but it's a red-box example in good condition so it can stay as it is.

The one I was running on the Sundial was initially for testing and "proof of concept" and came from a friend that I had in the 1980's during the hey-day of Commodore 64 Computers and we'd become friendly swapping games etc.

Happened to be talking one day at his place and somehow I snuck Märklin into the conversation (as you do), he says "I've got some old Marklin", disappears and comes back with a wooden apple-box with a VERY battered SET 800, the four coaches, solid-rail track and a 280 Trafo, just gives it to me. Bonus. This was VERY early in my Märklin journey and I didn't realise then the significance of it being a true 'survivor' starter set, even without it's original box.

I'm sure I have most of it still, but I can't now be certain to match what goes with what. I repainted the Loco, had to fill in holes in the side where it had been drilled (!) to hold the body shell on due to the chassis mounts being broken at both ends.

Replaced the chassis, filled the holes and repainted the Loco (Tamiya British Racing Green), replaced Pantos etc. Of course now I realise the error of my ways but sometimes you have to do these things in order to learn. Cool

But it was perfect for testing the model while I was getting it running again.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 02 November 2020 20:56:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I'll be interested to see some more details. I'm really brassed off that things didn't work out for me to visit your home while I was in Wellington to see it.

I'm intrigued how the engine reverses, as the lights don't go bright for a reversing pulse, and the change of direction seems too instantaneous for that.

Makes one consider how to make a 'modern' version using some MDF for the track bed with a length of 2205 flex track, and various other bits for the structure.

Similar for the industrial layout and the wunderrad. Having these at exhibitions would be great drawcards.

Well I tried hard to get you around Alan, I was pretty sure you'd appreciate it but there was a lot going on.

As already answered, there is a circuit track at each end wired back to the Universal relay in the head of the main support.

The Loco reverse unit is removed, and one side of the field winding goes to the track pickup, the other side to the pantographs.

It's very simple, and (mostly) reliable. Two full days of running at RailEx will soon show up any weak spots.

I contemplated slightly modifying it so that the Loco headlights could change direction, not difficult, but not original either. On the other hand, my model, my rules Laugh Still pondering that.

The sign is meant to flash I had enough hassles just getting it to that stage. I ditched the original 240v, far too dangerous on an old public display model like that. I've rewired it using LED's, adding a flasher won't be hard in itself, just not a priority for now. But the lights in the two 'floors' are still 240v, they are static so no safety risk there.

I made a parts list, as accurate as possible, counting parts on a model like that with so many overlapping angles etc is not as easy as it might first seem.

Just over 2300 parts in total, of which just under 1600 are screws and nuts alone!

Almost everything is standard Märklin-Metall components from normal production with the exception of the following;

1: The hanging pointer and illuminated sign. These are surprisingly important because they provide the counter-balance.

2: The main Axle for the 'sector' (as they call the swinging bridge) - it's 12mm diameter and two sturdy roller-bearings in solid housings

3: The sector track-bed - one continuous length of steel, almost 2 meters and reasonably thick (will need to measure how thick some time)

4: Blue/Silver tinplate for the two lighted 'floors' in the main support, and some opaque film for the windows.

I actually added a column to my parts spreadsheet for the equivalent 'Meccano' part number but that is still a work in progress. However seeing as I'm exhibiting (wth BigDaddy) at Railex with the Meccano Club present also, I should probably finish that. I'm bound to be asked those sorts of questions.

Absolutely no reason a similar model could not be made using Hornby trains. Already there are two Gents here in NZ separately building their own replica Wonderwheel using Meccano.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 19 February 2021 01:21:20(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
For anyone who might be interested, Roger Baker Offline alerted me to this upcoming auction; (thanks Roger) ThumpUp

I started a new topic for it...

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/m627643-Rare-1956-Display-Model--Sonnenuhr--for-auction
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz