Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2020 09:50:02(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have so far successfully made up and fitted LED LIGHTING into my two coaches in the 42892 set, and the two 3 axle coaches in my 4289 set [ 4318 style coach ] but there seems to be no way to fit current conducting couplers to the 4132 style coaches in the same set.I have looked in a mid 90"s catalog, and it shows a lighting set with pickup shoe. This defeats the purpose of have one pickup she per consist.

Has anyone been able to fit the current conducting couplers successfully to theses coaches.

I say successfully because the way I have done it, there is no flickering. I successfully converted a lot of my tin plate coaches using a similar set up except that I had to fit un-doable two pin wiring sockets between the coaches.

Dereck

Ps I saw somewhere where someone had drilled holes in the close coupler mechanism to enable this to be done. Would appreciate the advise as I don't want to wreck these nice coaches.

Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline rhfil  
#2 Posted : 24 October 2020 15:09:18(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Marklinofsweden has a youtube video of installing led lights in cars similar to the ones you selected with connections through current conducting couplings. I have done the same but his video will eliminate all the mistakes I made.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 24 October 2020 18:16:19(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi Dereck,

try it with this video.

Generally you find more tutorials for a mrr here. The entrance page offers you a selection of a language too.

Märklin of Sweden

Happy lightning and Best Regards

TEEWolf
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 24 October 2020 23:44:46(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
He just saved you the trouble of looking for it. Great tutorial. Most of his are.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 25 October 2020 02:53:11(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Yes great tutorials. I have been fitting LED lighting in my coaches for some time now, using tiny bridge rectifiers but using 2 50v 1000uF capacitors, because my original idea was for analog running. Its works just as well for digital also.Ii spent some time last night figuring out how to direct the soldered wire from the current conducting coupler in to the body and got it right. [ there was stuff all room in the coach mentioned in my header but managed without drilling holes in the coupling shaft. There was no room basically hence my question ] I have run my connecting wire through the top of the coach for the couplings.

I have a Roco Tegernsee Bahn coach in bits at the moment [ it is the same type as the 4132 Marklin design ] , which is posing a similar but different problem. It is different again in the design of the close coupling mechanism, stuff all room and probably like the Marklin one, not intended for current conducting couplers. It will work.

Martin must be using a magical type of capacitor because mine cut the power to the lights pretty quickly,and that's why I went for 2 of the 1000uf ones in each coach. i get no flickering.

Once I have got most of these converted I will place photos on this site.

My 6 year old grand daughter saw some loose passengers on my work bench and after telling her what they were for, promptly started fitting them to one of my coaches. She did such a good job that I will get there to do the rest. Small fingers better than mine using narrow nosed pliers.

all the best.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dominator