Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2019 10:18:14(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I’m looking at increasing the length of my layout by adding passing loop by running it along the side of the original layout from a junction on the original loop, then around one end and back around the other side to joint up with and existing dead end siding. I want to raise the track slightly in the middle to create a slightly higher level and interest with it being on an embankment?
What’s a realistic gradient. Is it 1 in 10 for HO? Thanks Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2019 14:16:29(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
I’m looking at increasing the length of my layout by adding passing loop by running it along the side of the original layout from a junction on the original loop, then around one end and back around the other side to joint up with and existing dead end siding. I want to raise the track slightly in the middle to create a slightly higher level and interest with it being on an embankment?
What’s a realistic gradient. Is it 1 in 10 for HO? Thanks Dan

In the visible part of the track, you shouldnt use a too steep gradient, as it will look bad. 0.2% will probably look realistic.
If you need to gain height in the hidden parts of the layout, yan CAN actually go 10% on straight track and with most Märklin locomotives. -But it is better to go much less, especially if you have curves on the ramp and/or use non-Märklin equipment. My steepest gradient is 0,35% on R4 curves.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Henrik Schütz  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2019 15:21:22(UTC)
Henrik Schütz

Sweden   
Is that really true? 0,35% is equal to 3,5 mm per meter.

3,5% is more normal, but a bit steep, generally, try to keep the gradients under 3% Märklin pillar system is equal to 3,33% Roughly 6mm per piece of track, 180 mm. With locomotive and six bogie cars, that is no problem, avoid narrow curves, R3 and R4 are good if you use C-Track.

I run M-Track and my gradients are 5 mm per 180 mm, 2.7% Works with Märklin 3054 Br103 with Hla, and ten tinplate cars, I run R2 upwards and R1 Downwards.

Henrik Schütz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Henrik Schütz
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2019 16:26:53(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
the closer to zero the more sensible the slope.
Visible area 1.5% to 2% max yes 2cm per meter at most

1 in 10 (10%) sounds very steep and you would need to have considerable length to transition to that slope too.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2019 20:42:24(UTC)
Minok

United States   
1-2 % sounds like a great ideal, but I doubt most of us have the space for that. I can imagine that most H0 folks don't have the space to get a rail line up the 10cm climb needed to cross over track with clearance, within the space they have. But one can split the difference (if that's an option) and have one line go down at 3% and the other go up at 3% so you get a net 6% and can cross over the top of another track within the space needed. Now in your case it sounds like you just want visual variety, and no crossing over or under other track is needed -so sticking to 2% may be just fine
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline danmarklinman  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2019 00:00:54(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
1-2 % sounds like a great ideal, but I doubt most of us have the space for that. I can imagine that most H0 folks don't have the space to get a rail line up the 10cm climb needed to cross over track with clearance, within the space they have. But one can split the difference (if that's an option) and have one line go down at 3% and the other go up at 3% so you get a net 6% and can cross over the top of another track within the space needed. Now in your case it sounds like you just want visual variety, and no crossing over or under other track is needed -so sticking to 2% may be just fine

Hi, your right👍 2% is just fine tar👍
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline hxmiesa  
#7 Posted : 05 March 2019 10:44:36(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Henrik Schütz Go to Quoted Post
3,5% is more normal, but a bit steep, generally, try to keep the gradients under 3% Märklin pillar system is equal to 3,33%

No, of course it is not true ;-)
I accidently messed up everything I said in that post; Mixing up % and º, and even loosing a factor x10 on the way. The "3,5" value is also not right because I remembered wrong. (Might come from 3,5mm per track piece or some other arbitrary unit.)
So all-in-all; Impossible to do it worse, I think. lol.

I checked the helix in the basement. (which is where the steepest grade is; the aforementioned R4 going DOWN. It uses R5 going up, wich will then be of a slightly lower grade)
Full circle of R4: 3639.8 mm
Height between each layer; 110 mm
Gradient; 3,0% going down.

Full circle of R5: 4043.8 mm
Gradient; 2,7% going up.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2019 15:07:16(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Henrik Schütz Go to Quoted Post
3,5% is more normal, but a bit steep, generally, try to keep the gradients under 3% Märklin pillar system is equal to 3,33%

No, of course it is not true ;-)
I accidently messed up everything I said in that post; Mixing up % and º, and even loosing a factor x10 on the way. The "3,5" value is also not right because I remembered wrong. (Might come from 3,5mm per track piece or some other arbitrary unit.)
So all-in-all; Impossible to do it worse, I think. lol.

I checked the helix in the basement. (which is where the steepest grade is; the aforementioned R4 going DOWN. It uses R5 going up, wich will then be of a slightly lower grade)
Full circle of R4: 3639.8 mm
Height between each layer; 110 mm
Gradient; 3,0% going down.

Full circle of R5: 4043.8 mm
Gradient; 2,7% going up.

On my little layout I have one section with almost a 3.5% grade and I have no problems with it, I even have some of the hi-speed switches on that grade. However... it all looks bad compared to the rest of the layout. It's so steep as to be unrealistic and the catenary masts all look as if they are leaning (I could probably fix this but it would be difficult). Also, I am probably lucky that the switches don't cause problems on that steep of a grade.

At the same time, if one has a small space, there may not be sufficient room for a grade such as 1% or 2% and you just have to live with something steeper until the next layout :-).

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Marklinacc52  
#9 Posted : 24 October 2020 23:27:17(UTC)
Marklinacc52

Australia   
Hello just seen this topic.
I am a vintage MArklin collector and use marklin "M" track. I have two two levels on my layout. I use both R2 - 5200 and r1-5100 radius curves. In one section I have eight 5200 curves rising 100mm in 1800mm 1:18 = 5.5% slope and a long track at the back of the layout that rises 50mm in 1800 0.5:18 = 2.7% slope.

The stepper gradient is because the track has to cross over track and Catenary on the lower section. The Catenary adds height of course.

I Run the standard 01 Pacific 3048 with 4 tinplate coaches on both sections of the layout with Transformer set at just over 100 and they negotiate the slopes comfortably. Any speed less than that and they stall.

Most of the 3000 series larger engines including 44 class 2-10-0, 23 class 2-6-2 all work well on these gradients. However you do hear the gears working as they lift their loads up the gradients.

The later models with plastic bodies and diecast chassis do have a bit of a problem climbing the 5.5% slope so I have lighter loads for them. The crocodiles, and aligator and German E44, type locos work the gradients with ease but the Swedish 3030 has a bit of a problem with traction because of the more rigid wheel base. Of couse small shunting locos such as 3000 tank and teh E63 Electric shunter require lighter laods suchs three tinplate 4 wheel coaches or waggons to comfortably work the gradients otherwise they skid.

My last comment is that steep gradients are hard on tyres asmy locos on numerous occasions have thrown tyes and require replacements frequently.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklinacc52