Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kytumba@gmail.com  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2020 11:41:18(UTC)
kytumba@gmail.com

Portugal   
Hi All,

As you can understand, in my question, i´m not an expert with it, but i´m trying to do my best ...

Recently i buy a Mobile Station 2, and i have a big layout and 3 locomotives, i think i need more energy in my circuit.
I have an "old" delta 6604 with transformer, can i use it as a booster in may layout? Is this possible?

As I am a begginer, in connecting this type of cricuit, someone can send me or direct to a scheme of how to connect the my layout if it´s possible, please, i need as more detail as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Kyt
Offline scraigen  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2020 00:29:48(UTC)
scraigen

Hi. Do you have plenty of feeder wires to take current to all parts of the layout? Do locos perform better near the connection wires to the track? If you have plenty of feed wires then lots of decoders have a max speed setting which can be altered if you think they’re too slow. Stu
Must build something
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2020 08:54:49(UTC)
H0

The 6604 can be used as a booster. Instructions can be found in the 6021 manual.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline PerR  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2020 10:09:39(UTC)
PerR

Denmark   
[you can get problems with mfx locomotives because the 6604 does not support mfx feedback.
It will work fine for MM2 and DDC protocols.

Offline kytumba@gmail.com  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2020 16:26:58(UTC)
kytumba@gmail.com

Portugal   
Thanks for your replies.

In 6021 manual, i cannot see how to connet with mobile station2 ...

Can anybody share detail wiring connections ?

Kind Regards
Kyt

Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2020 10:48:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kytumba@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
In 6021 manual, i cannot see how to connet with mobile station2 ...
The output of the 6021 is a red wire and a brown wire, the output of an MS2 railbox is a red wire and a brown wire. Where is the problem?
Connect red and brown to the Delta Pilot connectors of the Delta Control.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#7 Posted : 12 June 2020 22:45:09(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
I don’t see the point of using the Delta booster with a Mobile Station as they deliver just about the same amount of power (1,9-2 A).

Of course you can use the MS2 and Delta in two separate circuits, but you have to use a rocker insulator between them to make sure that the two circuits can never be connected. Or just use the Delta to give power to accessories, not to the track.

3 trains should not be a problem for a Mobile Station 2. Just if you have a lot of lights etc that draw power from the digital circuit.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 13 June 2020 02:45:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kytumba@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
Can anybody share detail wiring connections ?

A couple of diagrams...

The first demonstrates using the track output from a MS1 to power a delta booster.

The second shows wiring for two track sections, one via a 6021 the other from a delta booster.

As has been mentioned, make sure you isolate between sections powered by the mobile station 2 and the delta booster. The 2nd diagram suggests you isolate both the centre rail and the two outside rails.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Re the first diagram, substitute the MS2 trackbox for the MS1's ugly piece of track.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 13 June 2020 19:05:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post
I don’t see the point of using the Delta booster with a Mobile Station as they deliver just about the same amount of power (1,9-2 A).
The overload protection of the MS2 is a bit "nervous", the Delta Control ignores short spikes.
You can use two or more Delta Controls without rockers between the circuits and get the amount of power you need.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 13 June 2020 21:01:32(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
For security reasons, I decided to use exclusively the booster output for powering the tracks: In my approach there is a strict firewall between the railbox and the tracks, i.e. ABSOLUTELY NO railbox red cable connected to any track - see attached drawing.

Besides the cable connections, the decisive "trick" is to put the selector switch on the 66045 Delta Control in the RIGHT HAND "OFF" position (fully clockwise).
boo.png.jpeg
My cabling:
booster.jpg
This solved my woes for powering several multiple-traction trains on 30 m of mainline (plus yard tracks).
Offline joyofmarklin  
#11 Posted : 20 October 2020 05:08:23(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Hi I have 2 tracks, probably involving 20 meters of track. I have run 2 sets of feeder wires from the “supply track” and have no problem running 4 locos on it. I only have 2 pairs of turnouts and the lights are powered to a separate lighting transformer that I use for my M track.
Offline hxmiesa  
#12 Posted : 20 October 2020 14:46:00(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
For security reasons, I decided to use exclusively the booster output for powering the tracks: In my approach there is a strict firewall between the railbox and the tracks, i.e. ABSOLUTELY NO railbox red cable connected to any track - see attached drawing.
Besides the cable connections, the decisive "trick" is to put the selector switch on the 66045 Delta Control in the RIGHT HAND "OFF" position (fully clockwise).
This solved my woes for powering several multiple-traction trains on 30 m of mainline (plus yard tracks).

This is all good thinking, but isnt the electronics of the Delta-box limited to 30VA?
I mean, even if you have a 60VA trafo feeding the Delta-box, I seem to recall that it will overload at 30...¿?

PS: Good thing is, that you can repeat the idea with additional Delta-boxes, dividing your layout into multiple sections.

PPS: Another question; Doesnt the Delta-box block "mfx" back-communications?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline clapcott  
#13 Posted : 21 October 2020 01:51:40(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I appreciate that "I have an "old" delta 6604 with transformer" sets the mood here.

But just to ensure anyone, who may not have these units and wants a similar solution, doesn't rush out and buy them,
I offer the following while staying with Marklin

NOTING, that it is assumed that mFX is not a consideration in either solution
Except, maybe, for initial configuration on the main trackbox circuit, after which the MobileStation should have its mFX disabled.

The 60129 is (was) the equivalent of a sniffer from the track
Along with a legacy 6017 (and its transformer) you have a bit more power in a more formal solution.

multiple 6017s may be deployed

The manual may still be worth a read as to consideration about the power boundaries
https://static.maerklin....362cd0414a1434541867.pdf

I expect pre-loved 6017s to not be too hard to find
The 60129, while not available from Marklin can still be found on eBay as new

UserPostedImage
Peter