Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2020 23:47:56(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I have been a model railroader for about 70 years, having dabbled in HO, O, N and G scales. I never belonged to a club; I guess that was because of my independent nature of doing things my way and my way only. I look for realism, but I'm not a "rivet counter". At one place during my railroading days, I started building in 1-1/2" scale. When I started to run out of room, I switched to 3/4" scale and still have several locomotive models on the bench. But recently, after watching you tube layouts, I took an interest in Marklin trains. I have known about Marklin trains for a long time, but the M track with the solid 3rd rail was a turn off. The stud rail system has changed my mind about Marklin. Although I am a North American modeler, Marklin doesn't place much interest in American railroading. I do admire the brass HO models and other rolling stock used on 2 rail layouts, but they are not available for 3 rail track. Exploring Marklin catalogs and on-line videos, I find a liking for European prototypes of all rolling stock except for the 4 wheel goods wagons. I love their passenger cars and steam, diesel and electric prototypes. I have been buying track and locomotives and passenger cars from E-bay and so far have accumulated around $1000 worth

I have an area that measures about 11.5' x 12.5' that will be my 1st Marklin layout and my last any layout, so I will be putting all my energy and ideas into that "dream" layout. Being new to this forum, I need to figure out how to post images so I can share what I am doing. During my early HO days, I laid all my own track with home made ties, bought rail and spikes. I even made my own turnouts and for a while I was using outside 3rd rail, being at the time a LIRR and Pensy fan. I'm also into overhead catenary and will use it on my Marklin layout; I'm not yet sure if I will buy Marklin parts or fabricate my own as it is expensive to buy. I will probably not use Delta or any other DCC system (Too old to learn anything digital). As for modeling in a "foreign" environment vs American, My railroad will be my own so I can incorporate anything I wish. It will be my "prototype". One might even see a Sante Fe diesel pulling some TEE coaches or a Swiss engine pulling a string of State-of-Maine freight cars.

Model railroading is the only hobby where ingenuity and improvisation are the biggest assets one can have in one's tool box.

Edited by moderator 19 October 2020 06:55:09(UTC)  | Reason: Removed full capitalisation from heading.

thanks 22 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline joyofmarklin  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2020 22:28:24(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Welcome to this forum and getting back to trains.
I now live in the States and have returned to my M track, after many years. I have also added a simple C track to the outer loop, don’t feel I will develop much more , so happy with a Mobile Station.
Suggest you use SCARM to plan, it is free, but I exceeded the quota and was happy to pay for it.
https://www.scarm.info/l...plans.php?tracks=Marklin

Built a table with help from a neighbor and will be using Eva tiles for sound deadening. Here is a short video of my work in progress.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AieVZl0I2-3dlneT6R2ZwLNV70Ba

There are a lot of purists here, but you are right just enjoy your trainset!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by joyofmarklin
Offline Mr. Ron  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2020 01:25:58(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: joyofmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Welcome to this forum and getting back to trains.
I now live in the States and have returned to my M track, after many years. I have also added a simple C track to the outer loop, don’t feel I will develop much more , so happy with a Mobile Station.
Suggest you use SCARM to plan, it is free, but I exceeded the quota and was happy to pay for it.
https://www.scarm.info/l...plans.php?tracks=Marklin

Built a table with help from a neighbor and will be using Eva tiles for sound deadening. Here is a short video of my work in progress.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AieVZl0I2-3dlneT6R2ZwLNV70Ba

There are a lot of purists here, but you are right just enjoy your trainset!

I watched a video of SCARM being used. It was confusing and much more difficult than Autocad which I use for my layout planning. I made a library of M track sections and it works well for me. I'm ready to start building my layout as soon as I can clear out all the stuff in the room.