Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnny Kiesewetter  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2020 02:19:55(UTC)
Johnny Kiesewetter

United States   
I just plugged my 60657 MS2 into my CS/3+ and the CS3 shows item number 60653 version 3.112 No red dot showing available upgrade yet there is supposed to be a 3.55 upgrade according to Marklin. The MS2 has a line through update MS2. I have never tried to update this unit before. The CS3 was recently updated but I can't find the update version to confirm it (There is a green dot with a checkmark in it next to theCS3-1 under settings). Can someone tell me what I am not doing??
Offline owidgie  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2020 04:05:00(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Don't ask why but v3.112 is the current version FROM v3.55

Sounds like you are up to date.

Rick
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by owidgie
Online hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2020 06:42:00(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: owidgie Go to Quoted Post
Rick

Because 112 is more than 55, maybe? Hehe...

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Johnny Kiesewetter  
#4 Posted : 09 October 2020 14:53:50(UTC)
Johnny Kiesewetter

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: owidgie Go to Quoted Post
Rick

Because 112 is more than 55, maybe? Hehe...

Thanks for that. It's true and I feel a little embarrassed. But we all need a little humbling now and then.Blink
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2020 15:21:13(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Not really - I share your pain..

Most software versioning goes v1.0 v1.1, v1.2 and by the time it gets to 9 it becomes v2.0 and so on.. It flows nicely in a decimal sequence. The problem for me is that 3.55 looks higher or newer than 3.114 because I see decimal numbers, but the developer sees a version with a build number (i.e. 114 goes at trying to it right!).. Hence the confusion.. A better way to do this might have been to use 3.x.x format if they did not want to use a new major update number..

It's like the insane US date order of MM/DD/YY.. WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THIS???????? Confuses the hell out of the rest of the world and it won't sort dates properly either.. Then there is the US spelling and the gallon that is a different size to every place else.. Aaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Online hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2020 16:47:50(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Most software versioning goes v1.0 v1.1, v1.2 and by the time it gets to 9 it becomes v2.0 and so on.. It flows nicely in a decimal sequence. The problem for me is that 3.55 looks higher or newer than 3.114 because I see decimal numbers, but the developer sees a version with a build number (i.e. 114 goes at trying to it right!).. Hence the confusion.. A better way to do this might have been to use 3.x.x format if they did not want to use a new major update number..

While I quite agree with you, don't forget that most of us continental europeans don't see a decimal point when we see a "." we use "," for that!
The dot is "just" a numbers separator...
The Märklin software probably follows european standards and the metric system.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2020 23:37:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
In cricket why do the Aussies say 5 for 120 when it should be 120 for five. The score is slightly more important than the number of wickets in particular if you are batting first. I have a feeling this thread is drifting and I am not helping.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 10 October 2020 00:27:44(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I suppose the question has been answered so a little humour along the way doesn't hurt.

Adrian, mr Trump might take offence to your comments about the American way.

David, the Aussies didn't invent under arm bowling, nor did they invent sandpaper. Oooooops. Wash my mouth out.

Have fun. Spring is in the air. A drought appears to be on it way. Great weather for motorcycling [ if I made the time ].

Dereck

Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline FrankF  
#9 Posted : 18 October 2020 20:14:39(UTC)
FrankF

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Johnny Kiesewetter Go to Quoted Post
I just plugged my 60657 MS2 into my CS/3+ and the CS3 shows item number 60653 version 3.112 No red dot showing available upgrade yet there is supposed to be a 3.55 upgrade according to Marklin. The MS2 has a line through update MS2. I have never tried to update this unit before. The CS3 was recently updated but I can't find the update version to confirm it (There is a green dot with a checkmark in it next to theCS3-1 under settings). Can someone tell me what I am not doing??

Your MS2 have the latest Update, which is Software-version 3.122 and which resolves a "problem" with reading the Decoders in Marklin 39940 / 39941 Models.

The Latest Update for the 6011x Track Boxes is GFP-Version 1.47

For your CS3+ - See the Changelog-file in the Webserver-Interface where yo can find Information about Software / GFP / Hardware - Versions and recent changes within Software V2.10
CS3+ 60216 ( SW:2.5.2 ) - MASTER / CS2 60215 ( SW:4.3.0 ) - SLAVE
MS2 60653/57 ( SW:4.13 ) / MS1 60652 ( SW:1.8AP ) / 60883 S88 LINK ( SW:1.1 )
MDT 3 (SW 3.6.0) - HW: 60970 / 60971 / 60801
ESU LOKPROGRAMMER ( SW 5.2.6 ) / ESU HW: 53451 / 53900 / 53901
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2020 20:15:35(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

While I quite agree with you, don't forget that most of us continental europeans don't see a decimal point when we see a "." we use "," for that!
The dot is "just" a numbers separator...
The Märklin software probably follows european standards and the metric system.

Yep, but software versioning doesn't use a radix symbol nor a thousands separator , which is what the '.' or ',' are in a real numbers (which is which depends on country).

The '.' in software versioning is more a field separator, between major version and whatever other subdivisions there are, and all the countries use one and the same system there, the '.'.

Märklin apparently uses <major version>.<build number> as the mechanism for tracking its firmware. Thus 3.55 may well be followed by 3.114 without all of the other sequential values between ever having been released, though they certainly do exist internal to the Märklin software development organization.

More commonly used is the <major version>.<minor version>.<revision> style system or similar, but its by no means standard. Heck in my software development work I use a 4 level solution of <year>.<month>.<day>.<repository commit revision #>, which makes figuring out how old a particular release is trivial, and I can easily get to the source code and rebuild it if need be.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134