Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline EMD_GP7  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2020 21:52:20(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi all.
After noticing a listing on a certain auction site for a Marklin 45652 Union Pacific MOW set with distorted bodies and underframes ( Zinkpest)
I decided to check mine and found that they also had the problem - two freight cars - caboose OK.
Can anyone advise if replacement underframes are available , part number and from where ?
I have checked the "M" site without success but I think they still make these type of wagons so are spares available under a different model number ?
I have another set with the same problem - the set with the Alco PA in NYC livery - one hopper and the caboose have also distorted so I would be happy if anyone can point me in the direction of a supply.
Thanks and keep safe in this difficult time.
Best regards, Colin.
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 10 October 2020 04:47:16(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I had the same problem with the hopper car of the 29570 set,i kept the wheels,springs etc for spare and throw the body away.Soon after the problem's appearance markln replaced these sets with something elce,usually with another set with similar USA cars.Make a call to your dealer,you never know.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2020 09:11:19(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
US-based forum member Brakeman tried to have Maerklin replace the floorboards with new replacements from factory in 2015. Eventually, he returned the faulty US box cars to Maerklin in Germany and they replaced them by new ones (but different versions than the ones he sent back). He had to wait half a year.

https://www.marklin-user...s---Zinkpest-today/page2

In 2013 I returned warped US box cars to my local Maerklin dealer who got Maerklin to replace them by new ones (again not the same versions I gave back). I had to wait one and a half years. Still I found that quite generous.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2020 14:15:22(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
US-based forum member Brakeman tried to have Maerklin replace the floorboards with new replacements from factory in 2015. Eventually, he returned the faulty US box cars to Maerklin in Germany and they replaced them by new ones (but different versions than the ones he sent back). He had to wait half a year.

https://www.marklin-user...s---Zinkpest-today/page2

In 2013 I returned warped US box cars to my local Maerklin dealer who got Maerklin to replace them by new ones (again not the same versions I gave back). I had to wait one and a half years. Still I found that quite generous.

I'm not sure I'd consider that generous, rather, obligatory.

I'm also not sure what your consumer protection laws are like for you but here and Australia are both very similar. Basically goods have to meet some criteria;

1: They have to be "fit for purpose". Ie do what the seller says it will do.
2: They have to last a reasonable amount of time. 'Reasonable' being defined by what most average people buying the same or similar product would expect it to last in normal use.
3: There's also a semi-related factor around goods being of merchantable quality, be able to be repaired and that spare parts must be available for a reasonable period of time.

Simplified wording but basically accurate I believe. I'd be very interested to know what the similar laws are in Germany?

To me, an item that fails due to bad manufacture, materials, or both, while sitting in its original box has not met my expectations. This is one example where buying new from an authorised dealer will be a definite advantage.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline EMD_GP7  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2020 14:22:48(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi all.
Thanks for the replies.
I will contact the dealer I got them from to see what can be done.
I don't want to return them and receive alternatives in their place as they are a specific set ( UP silver bodied MOW cars)
If the underframes are not available then I may replace them with ones from other similar wagons in my collection which are stable.

Regards, Colin.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2020 00:01:26(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure I'd consider that generous, rather, obligatory.
Ok, I didn´t provide the full picture: At the point of time I returned them, the items were 8 years old, I hadn´t bought the articles at the MRR shop that supported me (not even in the same country), and I couldn´t produce any proof of purchase. So, I maintain that this was a generous gesture.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek