Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline parakiet  
#51 Posted : 04 October 2020 22:39:39(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I just received my BR 064 (88742)

After some testing I came to some sad conclusions. Same as already stated here: those new locs can't pull much or stop pulling on stress.

My old school BR 85 and BR 86 pull 8 4 axel cars over my 'bad' test layout.
My new V36 and BR 064 pull them fine without stress but once there is a small grade the traction drops and the train comes to a full stop. Reversing the loco didn't help. If anything it got my V36 screeching like hell, something I've read here somewhere before.

Just for the fun of it I tried an old V60 with 5-pole on that same configuration... it hauled it round and around..

You could say "trains aren't built to take grades or bumps".. well ok... but still Blushing So even if you get it working, don't try to pull something fancy. Great looking loc, far better details then the 88885
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#52 Posted : 04 October 2020 23:41:00(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
I just received my BR 064 (88742)

After some testing I came to some sad conclusions. Same as already stated here: those new locs can't pull much or stop pulling on stress.

I'm not sure it's entirely an old/new thing - but definitely a weight related thing. According to my measurements, 88742 (and 88740 a similar loco with the 5-pole motor) weigh only 21g - the lightest locomotives I own. The BR130 (88956) is a smaller loco but weighs 28g and pulls much more.

Another factor is the bogies. These are always sprung so effectively subtract from the weight on the driving wheels. My beloved 88942/3 0-10-0s weigh 31g and can haul trains of 9 or 10 coaches over my layout. 88889 (which is where we started) 2-10-2 weighs 33g but can only manage 3 or 4. The only difference I can see is the reduction in tractive weight caused by the sprung bogies.

I was so frustrated by the poor haulage of my 88962 BR86 that I added more weight, increasing the total from 25 to 28g. Even now it struggles with 4 coaches up my helix and I put that down to the leading and trailing bogies which reduce the effective weight over the driving wheels.

It's hard to predict how well any particular model will haul as their weights can be unexpectedly different, but generally the more bogies a stream loco has, the worse will be its haulage, I think.

Cheers

Chris

Offline Zme  
#53 Posted : 05 October 2020 02:30:13(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

I don't think an 88885 would disappoint.

Here is video of an 88886 I thought might be interesting. While it seems to cover a number of different topics, I was focusing on the weathering work done on this engine.

Do you think weathering enhances, or detract from the appearances of this engine? Do you think it is worth the effort on these tiny Z engines? What does this do to the value of this engine, add to it, or detract?

Myself, I believe I like the look. Takes a special talent to get it right, but I suspect like anything, a little practice may go a long way. I don't see an engineer inserted in the cab though.

Thanks and best wishes.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#54 Posted : 05 October 2020 07:52:14(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
this evening I will put em on the scale. Would be surprised if my V60 weights more than the BR 064!

I have the old BR 86 and 85 (can't remember the numbers) and they are good pullers!!
Offline husafreak  
#55 Posted : 06 October 2020 19:01:27(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks for posting that video. Now I am more certain than ever I want to wait on Marklin to fix my 88889.
No doubt weathering does increase the realism of trains, and layouts, but it my mind you need to be willing to put in the countless hours required to do everything. Just mixing a few weathered loco's, cars, and buildings in a layout will look worse than none at all. And I believe weathering will kill the trading value of your loco's and rolling stock. I could be wrong there but I so rarely see weathered stuff for sale. And I myself would shy away from buying them. I have purchased the paints and supplies to do it and I used to enjoy plastic scale models which are weathered. When I do try I will put together a train that is a "keeper" and could really benefit. Initially I will just try to bring up the contrast which is where Z suffers in comparison to other scales. So a black wash followed by dry brush highlighting. Then go from there or not.
If you haven't seen it yet check out "The OLD PORT SHOP" thread on Trainboard Z scale forum. Absolutely the pinnacle of weathered loco's and layouts.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Bahner  
#56 Posted : 07 October 2020 00:34:26(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post

If you haven't seen it yet check out "The OLD PORT SHOP" thread on Trainboard Z scale forum. Absolutely the pinnacle of weathered loco's and layouts.

Wow, blown away by the quality and realism on that 'The OLD PORT SHOP' thread. Truly something to aspire to!

Bahner

Offline Zme  
#57 Posted : 07 October 2020 05:07:52(UTC)
Zme

United States   
354907DC-43F0-4921-A246-7721B58F6580.jpeg

Hi.

I never grow tired of taking in all the details of OLD PORT SHOP. Truly inspiring.

Above are my weathered and untouched v260. This was done with acrylic paint and a few brushes. The great thing about acrylic paint is the it can be reversed with water. This is an old engine which I decided to transform.

Marklin has made a few weathered z scale models but I have very few of them (I don’t know why). Some of their new products in HO have locomotives weathered, perhaps more will come out in z.

What do you think?

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#58 Posted : 07 October 2020 05:11:28(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
The weathered one looks great , nice job, it looks much more realistic, but if you ever want to sell one I’ll take the one on the left ;)
Offline Zme  
#59 Posted : 07 October 2020 06:09:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Ya, I understand. Even without a box?

Weathering definitely is not for everyone. I don’t think I have ever seen a weathered z scale engine for sale. If so, they are few and far between. To be accepted it would have to be very well done.

I would have to Q-tip it clean to sell it. Trouble is it is chipped and I had to repaint the roof because it was missing paint too. Weathering seems to have hidden some of these flaws.

Take good care

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#60 Posted : 08 October 2020 10:41:49(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
My V60 weights 22 gram, my BR 064 just the same however it has a leading and trailing axle.
My V36 only weights 18 gram

my BR 74 ( 2-6-0) 30 gram.

The 88885 35 gram.

So the BR 74 goes on the test bench :D

Offline Zme  
#61 Posted : 08 October 2020 19:16:02(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

35 grams is impressive.

The BR 74 is also a surprise. With only 6 drive wheels, I am not certain how it will test.

It is much heavier than the 64, with basically the same configuration. (Adding a trailing wheel set).

The 74 has the armature directly into the frame putting more weight right over the drive wheels and allowing for a heavy shell.

The 74 was, and likely still is, a mainstay for many starter sets. I believe this may be behind the heavier weight designed into this engine. I am certain it contributed to a reliable, strong performer for first time buyers. It impressed me when I got the first set for my son.

Let us know the outcome of your research.

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#62 Posted : 08 October 2020 20:18:51(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello

35 grams is impressive.

I had to measure twice: my 88610 ( BR 61 001 a streamlined 4-6-4 ) clocks 45 gram!

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#63 Posted : 17 October 2020 20:20:55(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I received my 88889 back from Marklin earlier in the week and have had the chance to run it for a while today. The repair report from Marklin says they replaced the cover (I guess the plate that retains the wheels in place) and straightened the wheelsets.

I'm pleased to report the pick-up problems seem to be fixed and the loco is running well so far. The running gear was repaired as well, but I didn't doubt that would be fixed. As I had painted the motor black (because it offends me to be able to see the silver casing through the cab windows) I know my loco was repaired rather than replaced.

Of course, this being Marklin there had to be a hitch, and this was in the form of a pony truck tyre which was loose on its wheel and causing derailments. I think a spot of plastic weld has fixed this.

It remains to be seen if I continue to be satisfied, but the repair guys have done a good job, as I expected them to. I'm optimistic that Husafreak will be equally happy when his model is returned.

Cheers

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#64 Posted : 17 October 2020 20:43:30(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks for that report! I suppose it will be at least a couple of weeks until I receive mine but if they fixed it and it is running well then I expect the same.
Offline Zme  
#65 Posted : 18 October 2020 03:56:22(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

It is comforting to know that the Marklin warranty system actually works.

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#66 Posted : 21 December 2020 02:33:10(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Maybe it works for some but not others? Tongue in cheek here. I sent my second 88889 back on September 3rd and haven't gotten it back yet. I told my dealer (who was very nice btw and offered me a refund due to the possibility of another very long wait) that if it wasn't back to me by 2021 I would request a refund. I'll know soon whether or not I'll ever have one of these loco's. Now that you've had yours back for a while Chris do you consider it an indispensable loco or a challenge to operate?
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#67 Posted : 21 December 2020 14:21:53(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Maybe it works for some but not others? Tongue in cheek here. I sent my second 88889 back on September 3rd and haven't gotten it back yet. I told my dealer (who was very nice btw and offered me a refund due to the possibility of another very long wait) that if it wasn't back to me by 2021 I would request a refund. I'll know soon whether or not I'll ever have one of these loco's. Now that you've had yours back for a while Chris do you consider it an indispensable loco or a challenge to operate?

Funnily enough I only thought of you and your 88889 yesterday - I was going to ask what the outcome was!

I've heard that it has been very slow shipping stuff in and out of the US this year, and I wonder if your model is in a distribution centre somewhere? Marklin service are not the most responsive as far as answering emails is concerned, but they do eventually and it might be worth dropping them a line to enquire where it is in the service process.

I do like the loco a lot and it runs very smoothly now, but it's never going to be indispensable, on my present layout at least. I've probably said before that not much of my layout is on the level and three 8730 coaches is about the most this loco can pull, which looks pretty silly behind a loco of this size! Still, I would urge patience - I think you'll be very glad to have it once it does make it back to you.

All the best

Chris

Edited by user 12 February 2021 21:01:10(UTC)  | Reason: "not" added in remark about Marklin Service

Offline husafreak  
#68 Posted : 12 February 2021 03:59:23(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Good news everyone! I received my repaired 88889 today and it runs very well, exceptionally smooth actually. It appears to have been completely fixed. I forgot how nice this loco looks. Chris, you were right to urge patience, (which Marklin sorely tried!) but I am glad I waited. It's going to look great in its Freiburg maintenance shelter too. I'm looking forward to that.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#69 Posted : 12 February 2021 20:59:26(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Good news everyone! I received my repaired 88889 today and it runs very well, exceptionally smooth actually. It appears to have been completely fixed. I forgot how nice this loco looks. Chris, you were right to urge patience, (which Marklin sorely tried!) but I am glad I waited. It's going to look great in its Freiburg maintenance shelter too. I'm looking forward to that.

So glad to hear your loco is finally back with you and that it was worth the wait!

All the best

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#70 Posted : 13 February 2021 16:31:41(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Yeah, almost 6 months, gotta be patient with trains.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#71 Posted : 13 February 2021 21:29:56(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Yeah, almost 6 months, gotta be patient with trains.

I grew up in England in the 1970's - back then waiting for trains was a national pastime!

In my experience, Marklin service take 3-6 weeks to deal with repairs - I wonder where your model was for the rest of the time! Did you get a service note that tells you what work they carried out? That might also tell you when the loco arrived and left Goppingen and how long it was in transit!

All fairly irrelevant - it's back now and working well and that's what's matters now!

All the best

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#72 Posted : 13 February 2021 22:27:55(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
No, no service note. It’s conceivable that the shop just sent them all back and I got one when they were returned. I have no idea if it is the loco I originally had, I did send two back in a short period.
Now I’m very excited about the Z scale Insider Club offering for 2021, the twin beast! I hope it fits into your era because it should finally be a strong puller on those slippery slopes.