Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jkoellmer  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2020 01:55:48(UTC)
jkoellmer

Is anyone else disappointed in Marklin's decision to stop distributing the club video on DVD? I own several DVD players that are connected to large[r] screen TVs, and have always been able to use them to view the videos. I have tried downloading the 2020/1 video to my imac computer, and then burning the video onto a DVD, but several attempts have not been totally successful. It seems my DVDs play up to a certain point, then just stop playing? One DVD player stops after a few minutes, while another plays for an hour or so and then quits. I am very frustrated with this and wonder if anyone can suggest some shareware to app that I should be using to create the DVD? Thanks

-Jeff

p.s. I am considering dropping my Insider Club membership as the insider news is pretty much available elsewhere, I don't really need the club car, and now with the DVD gone, I am not happy with the club....
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2020 17:39:25(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jeff
Isn't your TV connected to the Internet? That way you can watch hi definition movies.
I have a large pile of these Märklin DVDs (2 per year) and they tend to be less convenient to watch than from Internet. I fact I don't watch them very often (strong understatementBigGrin )
Similarly, Märklin catalogue are very large and accessing them on the internet is more convenient I think.
Cheers
Jean
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2020 23:59:25(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I'm with Jeff. I prefer to watch it off a DVD. Yes, I do have Netflix and an Internet connected TV, but getting access to a TV in a house full of Females is next to impossible - unless it is a show that they want to watch. Marklin's annual video is not one of them. So I have to sit in a corner of the house with my laptop and a set of headphones. Sad

Not everyone in Australia has 100Mbps Internet.. If you live outside a major city, it can be as low as 1-2mbps..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2020 00:51:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   
If Marklin were to publish its videos to a steaming service such as YouTube then we could access them via the streaming service via AppleTV, Roku, FireStick, or direct TV streaming apps, or 'cast' to the TV via a smart phone or tablet and appropriate device.
But that requires access control that Marklin can set up - I don't think YouTube has such controlls, so unfortunately the only options I can see (as I use them) are:
1) Start playback on my smartphone via the Marklin website, and then 'cast' that playback to my TV connected device (in my case from my iPhone to my AppleTV device).
2) Burn the video to a DVD.

DVD authoring is in this odd state - physical media are no longer the norm for distribution, so video editing packages often don't have DVD authoring systems built in to produce DVD compatible ISO files to burn to a DVD (or directly burn the proper file /encoding).
And the programs that do support DVD authoring are a bit of a mess. A list of various DVD authoring software is sorta maintained at this site ( https://www.videohelp.co...e/sections/authoring-dvd ). Authoring a DVD requires the DVD to not only have the proper file system structure on it but the video and audio must be encoded with the correct codecs.

The video files produced these days for online consumption are often encoded as MP4 files, and these are 'as is' not DVD video compatible. So the videos from the Märklin site would have to probably be 'transcoded as part of the DVD mastering process.
Another option is that some DVD players can play back videos on a normal data DVD filesystem, if the video is encoded in specific video/audio codecs and complies with file size and duration limitations the player may impose. You have to check on the player in question. So you may be able to just burn the Märklin file directly, or transcode it to something the dvd player may directly play (eg mpg or avi with appropriate encoder, or mp4, etc). Check your dvd player manual for what non DVD video formats and limitations it has for playing back video files on data discs.

I agree that the DVD is one of the key features I like. I plunk it in and watch on the big screen in the living room. I don't huddle over my computer. The re-watch value I'm not sure about yet... I've not re-watched any of the DVDs I've got, but I do write what subjects are on them, in case I need to get back to find the specific disk in question later (marker hand written on DVD face). I expect for now, my approach will be to use my method (1) above - casting it to my AppleTv. In the end, I make take a tool like OBS and for those cases where I want to save a segment for replay later, record the segment form the computer playback and store just that file away for later use.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2020 01:26:53(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I downloaded WonderShare Uni Converter: it allows you to convert downloaded MP4 videos and burn them to DVD for playback. No problems at all... so far! Hoping my luck will continue with the next release. BTW: I noticed the DVD case cover is available on the Maerklin Insider German language site.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2020 02:21:19(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I might have a go using that Corel VideoStudio I have lying around inside another computer inside the house..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2020 09:29:43(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
If Marklin were to publish its videos to a steaming service such as YouTube

They have, but it's unlisted and you have to log in to the insider site, to start playing it on youtube or get the direct link.

Originally Posted by: jkoellmer Go to Quoted Post
One DVD player stops after a few minutes, while another plays for an hour or so and then quits.

The one hour fail might be related to the DVD capacity if you burned i HQ. in HQ DVD it can only hold 60 min on a single layer. iff you burned in Hq on a dual-layer DVD, the reason might be that your DVD player does not fully support burned dual-layer DVD's. or it might just be a burning error. I used Nero Burning ROM software many years ago, but I don't make DVD's anymore.

Personally I appreciate the quality upgrade on the videos. but I hoped that they actually ad provided a higher resolution option.

Edited by user 30 September 2020 15:47:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jkoellmer  
#8 Posted : 13 October 2020 01:41:46(UTC)
jkoellmer

Thanks for your inputs, everyone! I don't think my problem is related to the DVD I produced as I was able to watch the entire disk on my MAC computer; the same one I used to create the disk in the first place. Must have something to do with the player(s) I connect to my TV (I did try several devices with not much better luck??). Anyhow, I would sure feel better about the club if MM would reconsider their decision, or at least make it an option to us members. I know it's old world technology, but that's just me! Crying
Thanks again.
Jeff
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 13 October 2020 03:47:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Must have something to do with the player(s) I connect to my TV (I did try several devices with not much better luck??).

Some DVD players have trouble with computer created disks. Make sure your player can read DVD+ or DVD- disks.

Also, try creating the disk using the slowest possible write speed.
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 13 October 2020 12:34:47(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Thanks for your inputs, everyone! I don't think my problem is related to the DVD I produced as I was able to watch the entire disk on my MAC computer; the same one I used to create the disk in the first place. Must have something to do with the player(s) I connect to my TV (I did try several devices with not much better luck??).

Your MAC is far more accepting than your living room DVD players. so, the problem is most likely in the compatibility of your DVD players, they can be quite limited on the burned disk formats and quality they accept. Did you burn on a dual-layer DVD ?, if you did then try a single layer one (4,7 GB). if you did burn on a single layer, then make sure that you have finalized the DVD properly. if you did use a DVD RW, try a non RW disk. If you used a DVD+R disk, try a DVD-R disk or the other way around. Bigdaddynz advises on the slowest possible write speed is also a good suggestion. Your computer also has to encode the video into DVD compatible Mpeg 2. and if it does that during the burning, it's a higher risk of burn errors.

what I would suggest is that you consider upgrading to a new modern blue ray player or a media player that support USB sticks with video and internet video (Youtube etc).To be safe, make sure it can at least play H.265 and in MP4 and MKV, (and support DTS-HD sound). Preferable that it also support 4k. (it will then also have the processor power to play H.265 files.