Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bryan  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2020 01:34:05(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All

I have have a good look at all the current motors for Marklin steam type locomotives made since the C-Sine period. This includes the BR 18.4 locomotive in a previous post which has motor E189104. This motor is also used the the current BR01 locos, about the only common motor between any two locos found. From what I can find is that all current locomotives have a different motor assemblies, catalogued with a different part number. With the look of all these motors they seem very similar in design, however maybe the attached gearbox assembly is different and thus why a different part number.

The question is, are current Marklin motors similar and are they interchangeable except for the gearbox assembly. For instance can a motor be swapped using the original gearbox?

Has anyone had any experience in using other Marklin motors in repair of current Marklin models.

Current Marklin locos are still made well, however the repair side in future years without the supply of new motors will probably limit their running lives.

Has anyone had experience in this area.

Regards
David
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2020 12:56:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David
You are quite correct. Recent locos share very similar (can) motors with a difference in the gear, in the fixation parts or in the flywheel.
Recently I needed a motor for my BR 58 37589 (2013) and in Märklin shop it was not available but there is another BR 58 : 37587 with a different motor fixation and it was available.
I took the chance and purchased it. It fitted very well with my loco.
Indeed it seems the same motor is used many times possibly with a different worm gear or screw holes or caliper / saddle.
So if you have trouble finding your motor (not available) check your other recent locos for a possible quite similar motor.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2020 13:28:55(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
regarding the older motors (coffee grinders), using the replacement motors (60941, 60943 or 60944) for replacing the drum motors, the small flat collector motors or large flat collector motors, in some cases the armature needs some grinding that is easily done using a dremel-like tool with a diamond or corindon disk.
Because the field is DC, any contact beween the steel plates does not matter. Simply remove thoroughly all metal dust
Cheers
Jean
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 28 September 2020 01:48:25(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post

Current Marklin locos are still made well, however the repair side in future years without the supply of new motors will probably limit their running lives.

That is a question that I have as well David. One look at the newer can motors and you can see that they are not of very high quality and I have had some fail on locos which are just a few years old. I have an E189104 on hand right now for installation in my S 2/6 but what happens the next time it fails?

On the plus side the motors are inexpensive, but if they are not available later on you have a problem. It is interesting to hear that Jean has had success with substituting other motors which does give us more options. But they will still be inexpensive, throwaway bits, far below the quality of the models themselves.

So the locos are well made and beautifully finished but I have had decoders and motors fail after only a few years' use. I now think I have a potential money pit of pretty locos that I will either have to be regularly repairing or just sticking in a display case. When I combine those concerns with the high cost of Märklin's current models I no longer find them very attractive purchases, and for the first time in years I have no new models on order.

I am shifting my MRR budget from adding to my collection to buying parts to keep the newer models running. I don't believe that they will hold up for the long lifespans that some of my older Märklin locos have had. Unfortunately it looks like the race to the bottom is alive and well in the world of Märklin these days.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 28 September 2020 11:29:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jim, David
I think the main point for the long term is to be able to extract and refit the fly wheel and gear worm (me I don't).
If one can do that, then, the number of different motors is very small I suspect (3 or 4 motors for steam engines)

The issue is more complex with boggie locos: distance between universal joints

The new motors (can) are indeed more prone to failure but it is not that bad: I replaced 2 motors on more than 35 locos in frequent use (20 hours per week) in more than 10 years.
But to have a spare motor on all 35 locos is 875€ so it is feasible.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Bryan  
#6 Posted : 28 September 2020 23:53:45(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All
Thanks for the replies. I am going to order some of these loco motors and see what the difference is. There are Over about 15 motor types listed plus there are 3 price groupings, so maybe there are three basic types. If it is just the fly wheel and pinion gear that is different, then that is OK. These can be pressed off for exchange.

I only have a couple of locos with these motors, the French serie 241 being one of them. This is a classic model athletically, however was disappointed that future spares for it are unique and will thus not be repairable. I actually prefer the last of the series one C-Sine models.These at least can be refitted with DCM motors and mSD/3 decoders or equivalent when the time comes. There will probably be a cutoff point with Marklin. All locos tooled after about 2005 will not be repairable because of the spares supply. The repairability of Marklin was always the great difference over its rivals. Not anymore apparently.

Regards
David
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bryan