Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jonathan Riley  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2020 12:01:22(UTC)
Jonathan Riley

United Kingdom   
Hi, After gradually building up my collection of Marklin Gauge 1 over the last 30 years I am now in a position to start building! I have constructed a large raised area in the garden measuring 10 x 5 m which has a smooth base of scalpings. I am planning to lay a concrete track bed approx 25 mm deep and then affix the tracks to this with weatherproof resin before infilling with gravel. Just wondered if this is a particularly good way, bad way or if anyone has any other advice that I may be missing?

Thanks

Jonathan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jonathan Riley
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2020 14:19:10(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Hi,

There used to be a Hungarian forum member presenting his "Spur 1" backyard layout, but I cannot retrieve his thread. Forum member Purellum is running "Spur 1" equipment, so he might be able to help, too. Meanwhile, watching this short Youtube video on "Gartenbahn" construction basics by the German MRR publishing house "MIBA" could serve as an appetizer. I believe that even without understanding German the message is transmitted:

(Just skip the first 40 seconds of blabla.)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline mmrcnzjohn  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2020 00:59:36(UTC)
mmrcnzjohn

New Zealand   
There are many G scale layouts outside, and being the same gauge it is probably worth while searching to see what they do.

Personally I think that using G scale track outside would be a better option than Marklin track.

cheers

John
Offline nygma  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2020 12:15:09(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Hi John,

That Hungarian member is me. I have a layout for about 7 years. I covered most of the build in this "Garden Railway is Born" playlist in Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/...sPggQKw2ygChAgMKNbRFQGgf

I use Peco gauge 1 track outside, and I used some clips every 2 meters or so fix the track in place. I would not glue it down, it case it needs some servicing. These clips keep the rails in place, also also allow some movement. Heat expansion is a b.tch. It may not be a big issue where you live, but it was for me. Of course I was fool enough to solder over the fishplates on some part of the layout. Those are there for a reason, as the rails should be able to expand and contract.

I put a watch on this topic, so if you have any questions I will hopefully get a notification now.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by nygma
Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2020 20:33:36(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
With fixing the track down tight, remember to allow some give and take for expansion and contraction as the temps change, sun beats down on the track making it expand ect. The larger the loop, the more allowances will be needed to let the track shift a bit and not kink during a warmer day and shrink on a cold day and have a rail joint seperate and create a derailment
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger