Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ajayrav  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2020 06:01:11(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Hello folks,

I'm trying to replace the running gear on a Marklin BR80 loco from the 81352 set. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on the best way to push in the crankpin..It appears that the socket on the wheel is square as is the crankpin; getting everything aligned is difficult...what tool do y'all use that works best. Don't want to break anything...

Thanks,
Ajay
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2020 06:45:08(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Sorry I don’t have that engine, but I looked at the parts diagram and I am not certain what you are mentioning.

Do you mean a place where you can release the shell? Otherwise I don’t see the square you mentioned. If you are releasing the shell, you want to use a small yet strong pointed tool. If the button is spring, I think putting a drop of oil on it will help. I am always concerned about scratching the release or marking it up. Perhaps a softer less abrasive tool is a good starting point see if that works. I pointed toothpick might work if it fits. Sometimes fencing or something gets in the way. You might need a good point to try it. Something plastic might work next as long as it fits. The last resort is a metal tool. Be careful and try not to mark up your shell or cause damage.

I bet that is a great locomotive.

Hope this helps.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline ajayrav  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2020 18:06:51(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Hello Dwight,

Sorry I was unclear. What I was referring to were the driving rods or motion that drives the wheels in a real steam locomotive. In the exploded parts diagram, it is referred to as gestange (rechts or right, in my case) literally translated as linkage. The motion and driving rods slot into holes in the chassis and there is a pin to attach it to the wheel on the last axle on either side. There is a square hole in the wheel to which the square pin must be pushed in. My question was what is the best way to insert this pin without breaking anything?

Thanks,
Ajay

Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2020 19:05:36(UTC)
Zme

United States   
A jay. Sorry I don’t have a recommendation for this.

I never remove these. I am certain the pin is stronger than the linkage, and in my opinion it would not go well no matter what method was tried. I take it you just tried pulling it out by hand.

Why do you want to do this?

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline ajayrav  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2020 19:16:19(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
The original linkage was binding on the right side and one of the rivets was loose. So I got a replacement from Marklin and am trying to replace it. It is a little tricky... I posted in on of the German forums and got some tips from someone who had clearly performed the same. His recommendation: tweezers, fingertip, maintaining the right orientation of the crankpin and a lot of patience!

Thanks,
Ajay

Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2020 19:33:18(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

Unfortunate problem for sure.

His advice sounds reasonable. The patience part sometimes is hard to come by for me.

Good luck hope it works out.

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 08 September 2020 22:22:50(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi again

Many times in the used parts market, these type items are sold together with everything else in the drive wheel area. Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone selling them. This is a new model and probably parts are only available from Marklin.

I looked and looked.

Give it a try, see what happens because it is possible you’ve received all the support which is available. I don’t know why it was made this way. Using a heavy tool may cause damage. Be careful using something which will not damage things. A slight bend is fixable, heavy scrapes or cuts to the metal will require more replacement parts. Maybe apply some lube, WD 40?

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2020 22:47:48(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

I was thinking that a small gear removal tool might work or perhaps some kind of claw like a hammer end might pull it loose. Like a hammer pulls a nail but on a much smaller scale.

You would need something like a small press to get it back in. It would need to be controlled and done slowly. I am not aware of any specific tool, but you may find something on this website which might be helpful to you.

https://www.micromark.com/

Maybe a jewelers press would work to press it back in. Just a guess.

Yours is a unique problem.

Best wishes.

Dwight
Offline ajayrav  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2020 19:54:18(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Hello

I was thinking that a small gear removal tool might work or perhaps some kind of claw like a hammer end might pull it loose. Like a hammer pulls a nail but on a much smaller scale.

You would need something like a small press to get it back in. It would need to be controlled and done slowly. I am not aware of any specific tool, but you may find something on this website which might be helpful to you.

https://www.micromark.com/

Maybe a jewelers press would work to press it back in. Just a guess.

Yours is a unique problem.

Best wishes.

Dwight

Hello Dwight,

The pin holding the driving rods to the wheel can be easily removed using a pair of fine forceps. I have a replacement from Marklin, however pushing the replacement pin is difficult because the the head of the pin is at an angle, so things can fly in all directions. I'm going to take my time with this... I've done it once before; it's just everything has to be aligned perfectly for the pin to slide in.

Thanks,
Ajay

Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 12 September 2020 20:18:28(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

If only I had one of these. As it is, I can only guess at a solution. Isn’t it always the case with these jewels, they are so precise, they must be assembled just so. That also makes them long lasting.

If you did it once, I’m sure you get it sooner or later. When I get frustrated, I just set it aside for awhile. Sometimes when I come back it again, it just goes back as it should.

The important thing is not to give up.

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline ajayrav  
#11 Posted : 13 September 2020 16:08:44(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

If only I had one of these. As it is, I can only guess at a solution. Isn’t it always the case with these jewels, they are so precise, they must be assembled just so. That also makes them long lasting.

If you did it once, I’m sure you get it sooner or later. When I get frustrated, I just set it aside for awhile. Sometimes when I come back it again, it just goes back as it should.

The important thing is not to give up.

Best wishes

Dwight

Yup, this weekend is busy, so I plan to do it next weekend. Don't want to be impatient and break anything. This loco truly is a gem and the detail is spectacular. All of my marklin locos are the smaller ones in the Marklin program with the new can motor and they run spectacularly when they run...

My newest is the Kittel steam railcar 88145 and I need to test-run it this weekend. Glad I got my paws on this one....it is sold out everywhere!

Cheers,
Ajay

Offline Zme  
#12 Posted : 13 September 2020 19:09:44(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Sounds like a plan. I could see where a jewelers press might hid the work to much if you tried to use it. They are probably expensive too.

Seems you must have a great collection. That new motor is strong and quiet. I also like the five poles.

I will give you a warning about the Kittel, those pieces which are added to this model are fragile. I don’t know how, but the steps off the side came off. Be careful handling it.

It is a great addition. I think of it as the early steam version of the railbus.

Take good care

Dwight
Offline ajayrav  
#13 Posted : 14 September 2020 21:36:21(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Yes, the level of detail on the Kittel is amazing! Wish it was a tad heavier, so electrical contact and slow speed was improved, but you can't have everything!

Best,
Ajay