Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nygma  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2020 12:37:52(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Hi Experts,

I have upgraded a Marklin 55800 V 200 loco with an ESU Loksound XL 5 decoder.
In summary: works OK on my CS2, auto detects and an MFX loco, take it to my outside layout with MS2, and nothing

- MS does not detect it as an MFX loco
- If I try to Find it as a locomotive, still nothing, does not see it as an MFX loco
- When I try to find it as a DCC loco, I can see that the loco moves a bit during discovery, but still says nothing is found
- I can see the DCC address programmed when I look at the CVs in CS2, if I manually add the loco to that DCC address on my MS2, still nothing happens, does not move, no sound, nothing.
- I tried saving the loco to a card on my CS2 and transfer the loco settings to the MS2 that way. But the card function just does not do anything. I wait for 5 minutes and nothing happens and nothing is saved on the card.

What did I miss? Is there something wrong in the decoder settings?
CS2 and MS2 were updated about 4-5 months ago, I think MS2 is on 3.55.

Thanks,
Csongor

Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2020 08:58:20(UTC)
Goofy

Did you tried to set your MS2 to use DCC protocol and change decoder by set value to use protocol like DCC?
Test this first.
Remember...only one locomotive allowed stand alone on the track when you change something via MS2.
You must use box 60116 to connect to the track if you decides to change anything in the ESU decoder with the MS2.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline nygma  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2020 09:38:42(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Did you tried to set your MS2 to use DCC protocol and change decoder by set value to use protocol like DCC?
Test this first.
Remember...only one locomotive allowed stand alone on the track when you change something via MS2.
You must use box 60116 to connect to the track if you decides to change anything in the ESU decoder with the MS2.

Yes, I did that too, but did not seem to help. I remember that the loco was wiggling a bit on the track when it happened, but still would not move after that.

The MS2 should auto discover mfx locos, right? I am thinking maybe the Loksound is not enabled to DCC?

Also I seem to remember reading something that Loksound will try to detect if mfx is supported by the controller and if so it will use mfx and will turn of DCC support. Maybe this is the reason I cannot use it as DCC afterwards? Maybe I only enable DCC on MS2 and try to control the loco that was so it does not try with mfx.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2020 12:53:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
What is the current draw of the loco? This sounds to me like the power supply cannot handle the load.
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 05 September 2020 15:08:06(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: nygma Go to Quoted Post

What did I miss?

Telling us how you are connecting your MS 2 with the tracks. Are you using a track box or are you using your CS 2?
Offline nygma  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2020 16:00:06(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
It looks like the mystery is resolved. But first let me answer to the questions:
- Power is definitely sufficient, I have a booster and yesterday I was running two MM2 locot, and it was 2A most. This engine runs on less than that. In fact today I made a partial short and the booster was running at 7.5A just fine.
- If I am using MS2, I am using the Gauge 1 control box that came with the MS2. When I am using the CS2, I just connect the loco to the track connection. I never use CS2 and MS2 at the same time.

So, I disabled all protocols except mfx on the MS2 and still nothing happened. Than I enabled DCC only and I was able to set up the loco manually on the DCC address. As long as the mfx protocol is disabled, I am able to use LokSound on DCC. Mfx still does not work.
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2020 19:07:23(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: nygma Go to Quoted Post
It looks like the mystery is resolved. But first let me answer to the questions:
- Power is definitely sufficient, I have a booster and yesterday I was running two MM2 locot, and it was 2A most. This engine runs on less than that. In fact today I made a partial short and the booster was running at 7.5A just fine.
- If I am using MS2, I am using the Gauge 1 control box that came with the MS2. When I am using the CS2, I just connect the loco to the track connection. I never use CS2 and MS2 at the same time.

So, I disabled all protocols except mfx on the MS2 and still nothing happened. Than I enabled DCC only and I was able to set up the loco manually on the DCC address. As long as the mfx protocol is disabled, I am able to use LokSound on DCC. Mfx still does not work.

Are you using a booster between the MS2 and the track? In that case the MS2 will not receive any feedback from the mfx decoder. So you would have to change the decoder setting to DCC protocol and set a DCC address in MS2.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline nygma  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2020 20:31:37(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post

Are you using a booster between the MS2 and the track? In that case the MS2 will not receive any feedback from the mfx decoder. So you would have to change the decoder setting to DCC protocol and set a DCC address in MS2.

OK, good point, it could be the booster. It is between the track and the connection box. I was told that it is designed to just boost the signal without caring about the protocol. This is why it works with MM2 and DCC as well, but most probably it is not designed to allow signal backwards as well.