Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Garoux  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2020 15:26:24(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Hello!
Once upon a time there was a poor french user of marklin whose choice of digital Marklin was justified by the possibility to drive two locos differently on his network.Cursing
he had a console MS2 60657. he had, of course, a brochure but could not find any chapter about two locos to drive.
Do somebody can help him?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2020 19:27:36(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Garoux
AFAIK you have to register each of your locos on your MS2.
This is done:
- automatically for MFX locos
- from the database by entering the model number
- manually by entering the decoder type, protocol and address
Once registered you select the loco you want to control
See here

Cheers
Jean
Offline Garoux  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2020 09:55:38(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Thank you JohnJean
You seriously help me again.
I did not dare to proceed in this way because I was afraid to change any loco parameters alfeady registered.
I would see the video you propose and, perhaps, I will go back to you, if it does not run.
Thank you.
Alain
Offline Garoux  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2020 16:16:49(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Originally Posted by: Garoux Go to Quoted Post
Thank you JohnJean
You seriously help me again.
I did not dare to proceed in this way because I was afraid to change any loco parameters alfeady registered.
I would see the video you propose and, perhaps, I will go back to you, if it does not run.
Thank you.
Alain

As I indicated, I came back to you about the problem about This unconfortable MS2.
But, perhaps my solution is to employ two MS2. (Master and slave) One for Important run(master) and other for secundary running and qwitches(Slave)Flapper
Hum Hum! I will seeFlapper

Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 04 September 2020 18:45:34(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Not sure it will bring you any difference
Jean
Offline Garoux  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2020 08:41:56(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Jean

Sure. But I own this second MS2. Perhaps the good solution would be to implement CS3 or ESU system but I think they are too expensive solutions for this moment.
Alain Blink
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2020 09:04:22(UTC)
Goofy

When you shall use two locomotives to drive with one MS2, you must call up difference adress on the locomotive to drive.
Of course you can also use two locomotives with the same adress, but this way you control both locomotive not individually.
Both DCC and mfx protocols can been use MS2 but they have one thing common together and it is to control locomotive individually with the own adress.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Garoux  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2020 13:17:46(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
When you shall use two locomotives to drive with one MS2, you must call up difference adress on the locomotive to drive.
Of course you can also use two locomotives with the same adress, but this way you control both locomotive not individually.
Both DCC and mfx protocols can been use MS2 but they have one thing common together and it is to control locomotive individually with the own adress.

Perhaps you are right. I will see. I never taked attention to the adress which each loco is registered.Confused

Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 05 September 2020 15:15:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello!
Once upon a time there was a poor french user of marklin whose choice of digital Marklin was justified by the possibility to drive two locos differently on his network.Cursing
he had a console MS2 60657. he had, of course, a brochure but could not find any chapter about two locos to drive.
Do somebody can help him?

A chapter for driving 2 locos at the same time is not necessary. You just start your first loco. Then you switch at your MS 2 to your second loco and start this loco runnig too. Then both locos are running, but ONLY one can be controlled. It always is the loco activly choosen on the MS 2. The other one is always running with the same speed set up before you switched to the next one. Controlling both locos you must toggle between the locos at your MS 2. So you can go on until 40 locos are running. This will only a bit complicated in controlling.

Offline kgsjoqvist  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2020 19:18:33(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Jean

Sure. But I own this second MS2. Perhaps the good solution would be to implement CS3 or ESU system but I think they are too expensive solutions for this moment.
Alain Blink

Actually it simplifies the process to use two MS2 units. Then you can have one loco selected on each. Running more than 1 loco on the same MS2 requires switching addresses on the fly to change between them. If your layout is big enough to run more than 2-3 locos you should consider buying a Central Station or similar. Then you have 2 control knobs on the CS and you can connect the Mobile Stations as extra handheld controllers.

K-G / H0 and Z model train user
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kgsjoqvist
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 05 September 2020 21:23:30(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I would get a CS3 even if you have to wait until you have the cash to spend on the unit. As you go forward and want to do more things with trains etc then the CS3 will let you do that and you can still use your MS2 contoller.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#12 Posted : 05 September 2020 22:07:35(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Just for the record, in a similar situation as Garoux is having, I decided to follow a different route.

Instead of buying a CS3, I opted to use Rocrail to control my trains with a computer. To hook up my setup to the computer, and get feedback from sensors, I bought CAN Digital Bahn boxes. They are relatively modestly priced (at least compared to Märklin), and do the job well enough.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline Garoux  
#13 Posted : 06 September 2020 09:33:08(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Thank you All for your answers and your attention.
I believe that I have hree differents directions to continue with digital marklin :
1. Simplify my network to let one, two or several trains running following each others without attempting to take control of one.
2. Wait again some weeks to get sufficient money to buy the CS3
3. Proceed with the software Rocrail. But I enter a new world with cable with plug problem for connectionsThumpUp
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 06 September 2020 11:46:23(UTC)
Goofy

A good point is to wait until end of the year if Märklin present a new design of the MS2?
A rumor says a MS2 with the USB to connect to the computer to have possible by upgrade MS2.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Garoux  
#15 Posted : 07 September 2020 15:44:37(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
A good point is to wait until end of the year if Märklin present a new design of the MS2?
A rumor says a MS2 with the USB to connect to the computer to have possible by upgrade MS2.

Thank Goofy but I become too impatient. I must tell you that I wait to finish my network since June. However This time allow me to learn.Crying
Thank you.

Offline Garoux  
#16 Posted : 14 September 2020 09:31:04(UTC)
Garoux

France   
About the possibility to have several loco to manage with an MS2
.... :
1. Simplify my network to let one, two or several trains running following each others without attempting to take control of one.

As I told you. This way was my work And all run perfectly!
Thank you
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Garoux