Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tom Jessop  
#1 Posted : 01 August 2020 12:00:02(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Back in late 1998 we visited the East coast of USA , somewhere in Florida we had an address for a large new display layout & hobby shop . I believe this was on the western side of Florida. When we visited the shop & layout were still setting up & not open to the general public as it was more of a building site at that stage . The shop was quite large & the layout section took up more than 2/3rd of the leased area which was located in a small local shopping mall with vehicle parking right at the door . For memory I could have found this address in the MML which is now defunct . Would anyone have any knowledge or info regarding this display & maybe what happened to it in the past 20 odd years ?

About the same time there was a similar display & shop open on a pier on the Belgium Coast line which did not last very long , this may give a clue to the time frame regarding the Florida display .

Probably chasing a rat up a drain pipe with this query but inquiring minds need to know .

Thanks for any clues ,

Tom in Oz.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2020 12:41:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Are you referring to Micro Macro Mundo? - https://www.micromacromundo.com/

They are at 7564 S.W. 117th. Ave. Miami Florida

https://www.google.com/maps/plac...25.6975353!4d-80.3828603
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Tom Jessop  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2020 12:46:27(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Not MMM in Miami . Thanks Big Daddy .
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2020 14:57:41(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

Back in late 1998 we visited the East coast of USA , somewhere in Florida we had an address for a large new display layout & hobby shop . I believe this was on the western side of Florida. When we visited the shop & layout were still setting up & not open to the general public as it was more of a building site at that stage . The shop was quite large & the layout section took up more than 2/3rd of the leased area which was located in a small local shopping mall with vehicle parking right at the door . For memory I could have found this address in the MML which is now defunct . Would anyone have any knowledge or info regarding this display & maybe what happened to it in the past 20 odd years ?

About the same time there was a similar display & shop open on a pier on the Belgium Coast line which did not last very long , this may give a clue to the time frame regarding the Florida display .

Probably chasing a rat up a drain pipe with this query but inquiring minds need to know .

Thanks for any clues ,

Tom in Oz.

Hi Tom
In central Florida you have:
- HR Trains north of Saint Pete(rsburg). Address 7900 49th St N, Pinellas Park, FL 33781: large shop that use to sell a lot of Märklin, now they still do but with a larger proportion of Lionel MTH, etc (The former owner were from Germany and brought back loads of stuff from their periodic trips to family).
- Chester Holley Tampa 3812 S Himes Ave, Tampa. Used to be a very large train shop (in a hangar. Use to sell loads of Märklin (used and some new) and lots of other brands. Chester died in 1991 but his shop was still managed by his daughter for a few more years. Chester once invited us to his home to show his train collection and his wife's (mostly early OO Märklin). Wonderland and a long discussion about his time when in Paris just after the war.
- Lionel museum in Sarasota Fla near the circus museum. Alas it closed 15 years ago or so. It was part of the Sarasota circuit (Ringling circus museum, Ringling art museum, Ringlings mansion (Ca' d'Zan)

Here is the only video I can find on this

Of course you have a large Märklin dealer north of Miami near hwy 19 but I don't remember exactly where it was.
Sorry that all I have. I used to go to Florida 1 or 2 times a year from 1980 till 2010
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2020 19:01:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
For a while around 1998-2004 I was dealing with a recently established business in Fort Myers who was selling Hag. I think the business was called Hag Model Train Outlet (AFAIR).
I never actually visited them, because most of my time in Florida was spent in Miami Beach/Miami on business. I did manage to visit MMM and Miami Trains at their various locations.

Those were the days when you could get a top of the line Re 460 for $200 and a Hag Lok for $350-400.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Joe Meiring  
#6 Posted : 01 August 2020 19:30:27(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
In 2018 we visited family in Florida and my son in law took me to Discount Train and Hobby, in Fort Lauderdale. Rick Bassini is the owner.
Website is
http://www.discount-train.com
Phone (954) 564 2440
He had an excellent range of M stock. ....
Joe M
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joe Meiring
Offline Tom Jessop  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2020 06:12:39(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Thanks for all who supplied info regarding my query . We stayed with " friends " who lived in Cape Coral & looking at G earth I have the feeling it may have been the original owners of H&R Trains at Pineallas Park . Only the house hold accountant & my self visited this dealer when we were travelling from Orlando to Cape Coral for a 2 week stay which ended up being only 3 nights due to the nightly drink session after dinner by the husband . His ozzy wife was best friends with my wife when at a country boarding school in New South Wales , so this part of the trip was hastily arranged overnight & we quickly hired a vehicle to continue the other parts of the eastern side of the USA . Now Ill have to try & find the video tapes & a working player to see if I took any shots inside the shop .

Thanks again . Cheers Tom in Oz .

Edited by user 02 August 2020 11:12:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Tom Jessop  
#8 Posted : 02 August 2020 06:44:25(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
001.jpg

I just found a few photos of this layout , Judging by the front door layout it looks very much like H&R trains . Notice the very empty shelves mounted on the far wall , the shop was not open for sales anytime soon .

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline BruceOrrell  
#9 Posted : 02 August 2020 15:52:14(UTC)
BruceOrrell

Canada   
Sarasota had the Lionel Train Museum.... not sure it is still around. Was there in mid-80s
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BruceOrrell
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 02 August 2020 16:41:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: BruceOrrell Go to Quoted Post
Sarasota had the Lionel Train Museum.... not sure it is still around. Was there in mid-80s

Hi Bruce
It has been closed around early 2000 now IFAIK only a car museum is still there nearby (https://www.sarasotacarmuseum.org/).
We enjoyed many times the full visit in Sarasota
- Lionel train museaum
- Ringling's art museum (huge and with famous painters like Van Dick, Ruebens, etc),
- the circus museum,
- the Ringlings mansion and gardens (below)

IMG_3907.JPG
- Sarasota Jungle gardens
It was great fun
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB