Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nibelungen  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2020 11:00:57(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
Hi everyone
Well I’ve gone digital I bought an MS2 from eBay and it works fine so I thought mom get another MS 2 terminal which I found in Rails of Sheffield’s Vaults. Labelled for Trix, Fine bought it it And it arrived, connected it up and it works fine, however as it’s the lower serial number it acts as the master controller, the other one acting as slave.
Unfortunately the firmware in the Trix MS 2 needs updating as while it controls the locomotives and those points and signals I’ve digitised, because of the firmware it won’t talk properly to the Slave MS 2 so I’m having to use the Marklin labelled MS2 just to control the digital controlled points and signals while the Trix labelled MS2 controls the locomotives. Unfortunately I have no access to a Central Station to update anything. One should according to my research be able to update the Trix MS 2 from the Marklin MS 2 but the Trix labelled model is so out of date firmware wise that’s not possible. Any advice?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2020 11:04:36(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Nibelungen Go to Quoted Post
One should according to my research be able to update the Trix MS 2 from the Marklin MS 2 but the Trix labelled model is so out of date firmware wise that’s not possible. Any advice?
If you tried to start the update from the Märklin MS2 and this failed, then connecting the Trix MS2 to a CS2 or maybe CS3 could be the only option that is left.

Just out of curiosity: which firmware versions do you have on your MS2s?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Nibelungen  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2020 11:14:49(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
Sw1.1 on the Trix labelled version, and 2.5 on the Marklin labelled version. I believe from my reading the Minimum SW version to be able to update one MS2 From another is 1.8
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2020 11:56:54(UTC)
H0

I believe from my reading the Minimum SW version to be able to update one MS2 From another is 1.8
So your Märklin MS2 should be new enough to pass the update to the Trix MS2 - unless version 1.1 is too old to receive it.
Master/slave operation really did not work with version 1.1.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Nibelungen  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2020 12:08:41(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
That seems to be the problem. I need somewhere in the UK with a CS2 willing to update the Trix labelled MS2
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2020 12:22:28(UTC)
H0

Do you get an error message when you start the upgrade from the menu?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Nibelungen  
#7 Posted : 15 July 2020 13:20:08(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
The Trix MS2 has no upgrade option in the menu
Offline Nigel Packer  
#8 Posted : 15 July 2020 14:54:59(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
I can have a go at it for you if you like, but you'd have to send it to me in Cheshire. I have both CS2 and CS3.

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 15 July 2020 15:11:35(UTC)
H0

The Trix MS2 has no upgrade option in the menu
Take the Märklin MS2 and try to push the upgrade to the Trix MS2. Not the other way around.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Nibelungen  
#10 Posted : 15 July 2020 15:44:06(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
Tried that. All I got was the message “ no appropriate update file found“ 😩
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 15 July 2020 17:03:02(UTC)
TEEWolf

Tried that. All I got was the message “ no appropriate update file found“ 😩

Take @Nigel Packer kind offer and help. The actual software version for a MS 2 is 3.112! It does not matter, if it is a Trix or Maerklin MS 2. The only difference is the colour of the knobBigGrin. See update informations for the CS 3 update info for SW vers CS 3 2.1

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/downloads/cs3-updates/

As you see, your software is already pretty old and superseded. Since software version 3.55 a new manual from Maerklin was published because of the changes in the software update for 3.55.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60653/

It also does not matter which colour your MS 2 has. They are technically identically too.

Please be aware, when you got your MS 2 updated back from Nigel, then you first have to update your track box from the MS 2 with the SW 3.112 on it. Only now you can update your second MS 2 with the new software. Follow the "Technische Informationen" Update Mobile Station 2. You get access to this information only via the German website from Maerklin. But the information itself is in English as well.

https://www.maerklin.de/...echnische-informationen/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Harryv40  
#12 Posted : 23 July 2020 13:55:55(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Everyone,

Nigel kindly updated my MS2, but I have a slight problem?
I sent Nigel the master but in the section that holds the locos at the bottom on the display, is showing white bars just over half way across the display. I don’t know if the download did not complete or some thing else. Also now I update my slave it also has this issue?

Any clues?
Sorry I don’t want to take over someone topic but felt the issue was linked.
Regards
Harry
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 23 July 2020 14:06:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
I sent Nigel the master but in the section that holds the locos at the bottom on the display, is showing white bars just over half way across the display.
It now shows 40 locos at the bottom of the screen instead of previously 11. So with 20 locos you have a bar that fills half the screen.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Harryv40  
#14 Posted : 23 July 2020 14:14:49(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Thank Tom,
I am a bit like Fred Flintstone with software, I am a plug and play man, just to get this right, do you mind if I explain my understanding now.

The bar that use to show 11 locos now shows 40, the white vertical lines indicates how many of those 40 places are filled? Or how many are free?

Sorry but I am a bit confused about this, perhaps if I am read about the update first would have been a good idea!

Many thanks
Harry
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 23 July 2020 14:59:35(UTC)
H0

The 40 loco icons at the bottom overlap now.
In the past you had 11 slots and you could fill any slit with any of the up to 40 locos. Now you see all the up to 40 locos at the bottom of the screen. There is no scaling, so even with just 3 locos the list acts as if there were 40 and you see three locos on the left, just one pixel apart, overlapping.

Master/slave operation works much better now, but switching between locos is not as easy as it used to be because the order of the locos is fixed (as far as I can tell). It would be nice to have the old look with up to 11 locos, but the display is not dynamic.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#16 Posted : 23 July 2020 15:06:37(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Everyone,

Nigel kindly updated my MS2, but I have a slight problem?
I sent Nigel the master but in the section that holds the locos at the bottom on the display, is showing white bars just over half way across the display. I don’t know if the download did not complete or some thing else. Also now I update my slave it also has this issue?

Any clues?
Sorry I don’t want to take over someone topic but felt the issue was linked.
Regards
Harry

Yes Sir I have some clues. Nigel is a very experienced and good guy knowing what he is doing. He really sent you the latest update correctly. Trust him as I do.

Why don't you look into the manual sometimes? Therefore these manuals are there.Smile

https://static.maerklin....f3c36e4fb91557845024.pdf

See on page 6 (the manual has all pages double: on time in German another time in English) the explanations of the lowest bar for the loco positions. At the beginning this bar is blank, empty or whatever. Only if you register a loco, it will be filled up from left to right, but always starting at the most left possible position. One loco one marker, the rest of the bar remains blank. The used, active loco is highlightend with little "+".

Don't be frightend you cannot damage the MS 2 just playing around on screen. Another thing is the electricity. Also there you did not made very much input to the MS 2 by yourself, you always can reset the MS 2 to the default settings from the manufacturer. You cannot loose very much. I think after registering your first loco you should do this reset - just for fun and learning. Learning by doing.BigGrin Ah a reset does not alter your updated software. It has no influence. I was not sure myself about this fact till I tested it myself at a MS 2 and at my CS 3.

Also the MS 2 has no sorting functions. The locos are listed in the sequence you registered them.

Did you update your trackbox first and then your second MS 2 too? Just shortly read, the MS 2 only works in master and slave mode, if both MS 2 have the same software version on it. Was new to me and I never tried, because it is self-evident to keep both controllers on the the same standard.

Of course do you find after the software update the same situation on your 2nd MS 2 too. It has its own loco database. But keep in mind, if you connect them and one MS 2 is in slave mode, you do not have access to its registered and stored locos. Only the locos in the master MS 2 are available. Please not be afraid, if you are missing a loco. This you probably have regsitered at the MS 2, which is in the slave mode while you are searching this loco. And yes, it happened to me too, a kind of thoughtless action.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Harryv40  
#17 Posted : 23 July 2020 15:49:41(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Guys

Us men never read the instructions it’s in our DNA!BigGrin

I am, I must admit a bit of a dinosaur with digital, so any issues become major problems.

But after reading Tom’s & Teenwolf’s reply and advice from Nigel about forcing the update from the master To the slave everything is up to date and working.

Many thanks to all, especially Nigel, for everything.

Regards
Harry

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Harryv40