Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pa-pauls  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2020 09:02:34(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello,

Just bought a New Booster for my Spur 1 setup but can't find any info on how to connect it to the track.

I see and remember from H0 that You should have common ground,
So do I just isolate the "red" side of the track ?

Thanks, any help is appreciated !

Edited by user 16 August 2020 14:54:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2020 09:21:04(UTC)
H0

Hi!

To some extent this depends on the type of controller and type of booster you have. Just like with H0.

Which booster did you buy? For which controller?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline pa-pauls  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2020 12:30:29(UTC)
pa-pauls

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

To some extent this depends on the type of controller and type of booster you have. Just like with H0.

Which booster did you buy? For which controller?

Hello,
Sorry, totally forgot to mention that,,,
I'll have the Märklin Central Station 3+ and the Märklin booster 60175
Pål Paulsen
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2020 12:44:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
He's back, welcome back Pål !

Originally Posted by: pa-pauls Go to Quoted Post
So do I just isolate the "red" side of the track ?

Yes, pretty much as you would do for H0. Marklin recently (in the last year or two) released a document on wiring for model railroads.

From memory, you can have a common earth between multiple sections where the power of those sections added together is no more than 300va. For additional sections over 300va, both red and brown have to be isolated.

I've attached the document for easy reference - there is some discussion of Gauge 1 in it.

Marklin_Safety_Information_01_20181105_Technik-Vorgabe-Elektrische_Sicherheit_en.pdf (959kb) downloaded 50 time(s).

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline pa-pauls  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2020 15:48:39(UTC)
pa-pauls

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
He's back, welcome back Pål !

Thank's mate !
Pål Paulsen
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pa-pauls
Offline phils2um  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2020 07:35:02(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
NO!!! DO NOT USE A COMMON GROUND ON A TWO RAIL SYSTEM!!!! (Spur 1, LGB, and z) Both rails need to be isolated at junctions between booster regions. Just make sure that if the red booster lead is on the outside rail on one booster section, the red booster lead of the second booster is also on the outside rail of the second booster section. And vice-versa for the brown booster leads on the inside rails. You also need to make sure there are not any inadvertent reverse-loops in your track layout that will cause a short when bridged by a locomotive or wagon. There are special reverse-loop modules for this situation. This is very different from the Märklin HO third rail system.

The last sentence at the bottom of page 7 of the safety document linked above by Bigdaddynz states the above but not very clearly in the English translation:

"In double rail systems such as track 1, outward and return conductors are always separated here."

Edited to correct page 6 to page 7
Phil S.
Offline hvc  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2020 09:12:30(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post

"In double rail systems such as track 1, outward and return conductors are always separated here."

It does indeed say that on page 7 of the document in the context of a "Category 2" system. It seems weird to me, because the loco will be temporarily bridging the two sections together anyway, but there you go. Maybe someone out there could explain the why.

- H.
- Herman
Offline phils2um  
#8 Posted : 24 July 2020 21:37:40(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
There are very practical reasons for isolating both rails for each booster region in a two rail system. The first is that the two rails are opposite polarity unlike the Märklin three rail (center stud) HO system. Most railway layouts will have reverse loops and wyes incorporated somewhere in their design. This results in short circuits with two rail systems unless careful measures are taken. It is almost impossible to maintain a single common rail throughout and have a realistic layout. The second is that electrical trouble-shooting is greatly eased in two rail systems when each power zone can be completely isolated. There may also be other reasons related to how digital model RRs operate as opposed to analog systems that are beyond me. Though, as rightly pointed out by H in post #7, the power zones are temporarily bridged when trains span the junction between zones.
Phil S.
Offline pa-pauls  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2020 20:17:37(UTC)
pa-pauls

Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
NO!!! DO NOT USE A COMMON GROUND ON A TWO RAIL SYSTEM!!!! (Spur 1, LGB, and z) Both rails need to be isolated at junctions between booster regions.

Ok, thank's I will isolate both rails !

Pål Paulsen
Offline pa-pauls  
#10 Posted : 30 July 2020 15:17:48(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello,

I tried today the layout for the first time and isolating both rails works very good,,,
Pål Paulsen
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pa-pauls