Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roman  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2020 21:53:13(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Hello all,
I need to assist my father in liquidating his extensive collection of trains. He isn't able to help out with info that I might need to sort out details of a particular item I have questions with. Below is a link for pre 1960's items that I will eventually post once I can estimate the prices for the individual pieces. The question that I have is in four items I looked at while taking photos. The cars are 341, 342, 343, and 344 with their respective boxes. They appear in great condition given their age which has me speculating on the idea that they might have been restored, in particularly the roofs. Maybe they are in just great shape? The other clue is that each of them has metal bogies that are pop riveted on instead of with screws or a C clip. None have their axles. I just wanted to see if selling them as is would appeal to someone with the original cast trucks and is searching for a very nice body for each. Thank you.
Roman

https://imgur.com/a/LCUyNzn
Offline kamstutz  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2020 23:39:52(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Originally Posted by: Roman Go to Quoted Post
... 341, 342, 343, and 344... which has me speculating on the idea that they might have been restored, in particularly the roofs.
...each of them has metal bogies that are pop riveted on instead of with screws or a C clip. None have their axles.

https://imgur.com/a/LCUyNzn

Roman - I would venture to guess that the roofs of your father's 34X set are original. I have seen others known to be original that appear like the one's you have pictures of. It is very common that the cast bogies and wheels of some of the 34X and 35X series passenger cars suffer from zinc pest. Early models did indeed have these bogies attached by a rivet. Later version tin plate passenger wagons used the more "friendly" screws and clips to attach the bogies. For those "tinkers" who enjoy restoring these cars most replacement parts can be sourced from vintage M parts supply stores - albeit in Germany. Here are two examples:

https://www.ritter-restaurationen.de/shop.pl?sprID=2;usrEmail=;usrPwd=;katKey=1.7

https://ttn-shop.com/waggon.php

By the way - Your father has some nice collectibles. Please advise the group when they are available for direct or auction sales.

Kurt

Edited by user 21 July 2020 04:48:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Roman  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2020 01:07:54(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Hello Kurt,
Thank you for your time and reply. My focus in collecting has always been in my generation's time. The older items have definitely held up. I will post in the forum for sale in the near future.
Roman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roman
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2020 19:46:39(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Nice collection - it appears some of the trains have already visited Ritter.

The T 800 wheels for instance look like Ritter replicas. It's likely the 34X series cars are all original. The 35X more likely have been partially restored - maybe roof vents ,wheels, and possibly trucks.

Paul
Offline Soest  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2020 03:57:47(UTC)
Soest

I have 341, 42, 43, 44 in comparable condition. When I purchased them some of the wheels and cast bogies had suffered from Zinc pest. I obtained replacement parts from Ritter and Paul in the US. I am afraid I attached the bogies with screws. They are my favourite wagons. In another post, Paul dated the boxes from 1943 to 1946. Yours look very nice.

Mike
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.