Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline spinnin4s  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2020 09:14:51(UTC)
spinnin4s

United States   
Hello,
I was offered this Bing early tinplate race ar recently. It a a beautiful toy but originals are very rare and I believe this may be a reproduction, replica, or a possible restoration. There are a couple of other early autoc in the collection in similar condition. Your comments would be appreciuated.car-01_01.jpgcar-01_03.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by spinnin4s
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2020 23:04:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks for showing 4s.
I wonder when the Bing race car (the original) was made .
I admire the German-made tinplate toys and trains though have acquired none for myself.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2020 19:47:21(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Unfortunately the 'craft' and technique of restoration and even replicas is now so good that it takes a very experienced eye to tell the difference.

The downside is the risk that a genuine pristine original item becomes suspected by 'experts' as too good to be true etc and subsequently devalued. Sad if you are the owner/seller and absolutely believe it to be the real deal.

Microscopic examination, UV light etc and at the extreme even analysing samples of paint are among methods used to prove authenticity of many collectibles.

But at the end of the day it depends what you want. If it appeals to you, are you comfortable with the asking price and is the price reasonable, all things considered?

If the asking price is based on it being genuine, but later found not to be, would you still be happy with the price paid? If not, and you can't negotiate you might be better to walk away.

There's nothing wrong with replica's, or restorations, if they are declared. But someone deliberately passing one off as original, and priced thus, takes it into the realm of being a fake.

There's an old saying worth repeating....

"When man buy cheap fish, smell linger long time to remind him of bargain".

It can equally apply to paying too much. Regret quickly takes the shine off anything.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline spinnin4s  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2020 06:11:26(UTC)
spinnin4s

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately the 'craft' and technique of restoration and even replicas is now so good that it takes a very experienced eye to tell the difference.

The downside is the risk that a genuine pristine original item becomes suspected by 'experts' as too good to be true etc and subsequently devalued. Sad if you are the owner/seller and absolutely believe it to be the real deal.

Microscopic examination, UV light etc and at the extreme even analysing samples of paint are among methods used to prove authenticity of many collectibles.

But at the end of the day it depends what you want. If it appeals to you, are you comfortable with the asking price and is the price reasonable, all things considered?

If the asking price is based on it being genuine, but later found not to be, would you still be happy with the price paid? If not, and you can't negotiate you might be better to walk away.

There's nothing wrong with replica's, or restorations, if they are declared. But someone deliberately passing one off as original, and priced thus, takes it into the realm of being a fake.

There's an old saying worth repeating....

"When man buy cheap fish, smell linger long time to remind him of bargain".

It can equally apply to paying too much. Regret quickly takes the shine off anything.

Thanks for the replies and advice. The Bing race car was offered in their 1908-1915 toy catalogs. I believe this toy is a replica-a very nice replica but not original. Still an attractive toy, so I offered the owner a reasonable price for the auto, but he believes it is original so expect he will reject my offer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by spinnin4s