Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline orionstars  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2020 16:49:16(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Good Morning All,
In a strange twist of marriage fate my mostly “non-MRR” wife (though put a throttle in her hand with a switching challenge and watch her go, or ask her for help with scenery ideas/making and she’s brilliant - so she is suspect when it comes to her professing a disinterest in model railroading!) has fallen in love with the Big Boy over the last 6-7 years.

She is interested in us buying the new 4014 model from this year (smoke generators too), even knowing the price Love !

Anyone have practical experience in running this beast etc?

Thanks in advanced!
Pete

Ps. I keep a notebook in the way the Carl Weaver wrote about - this purchase will certainly tilt the checkbook register heavily!

Maybe it’ll go in as a debt followed by a credit with a memo line of “willing to do whatever it takes to keep my wife happy!”
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2020 18:02:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: orionstars Go to Quoted Post
Good Morning All,
In a strange twist of marriage fate my mostly “non-MRR” wife (though put a throttle in her hand with a switching challenge and watch her go, or ask her for help with scenery ideas/making and she’s brilliant - so she is suspect when it comes to her professing a disinterest in model railroading!) has fallen in love with the Big Boy over the last 6-7 years.

She is interested in us buying the new 4014 model from this year (smoke generators too), even knowing the price Love !

Anyone have practical experience in running this beast etc?

Thanks in advanced!
Pete

Hello Pete,

you have a very smart wife. No doubt for every American MRR enthusiast this Big Boy 4014 (37997) is a must! It is a restored historic monument of your country! On the other hand it is one of the biggest steamer in the world running again, as in its old times.

Buying this loco, do not forget the "Voucher - Steam locomotive "Big Boy" 4014

Exclusive discount of the club for the "Big Boy" 4014"

https://www.maerklin.de/...lubs/my-club/?no_cache=1

Yes, I used this voucher for buying the 4014 Big Boy. At the moment BB (37997) Love decorates my glas "class" cabinet together with my MB (Mini Boy - 37068). Love

MB 37068 in relation to BB 37997

Big Boy and Mini Boy together

The Mini Boy is the last year Museums loco from Maerklin I bought this year too.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/37068

This class 80 tank loco was for the German railways as similar important as a Big Boy for the USA. The proportion reflects up to a certain extend the proportions of our countries. Each in his own way.Smile

And yes, of course the Big Boy 4014 (37997) has a magnificent, smooth running. Even through the R1, which I extra built up a complete circle on my test drive. Even running perfectly through the R1 360 mm curves!ThumpUp A really amazing, highly recommended locomotive, also I still do not yet have the steam pipes inside.

You are welcome!

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline klarinettmeister  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2020 01:00:35(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
I've collected all the Big Boys released but the 37992 and it's my favorite type of loco model.

The 37997 is the one model that doggers mostly from the earlier models. There are alit of new sounds and the Big Boy in chalk is a really sweet detail. They've removed the ashtray sand changed some details.

The weight of the locomotive gives it really good traction and can pull quite allot.

If you can buy it then don't wait. It's an awesome model.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by klarinettmeister