Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joao Zilio  
#1 Posted : 28 May 2020 22:34:50(UTC)
Joao Zilio

Brazil   
Hi there!

A lot of posts about the old blue transformers with digital trains was already discussed here.

But one question still hammer my mind.

Should be possible to use an old blue transformer only to control in analog way all turnouts and signal,

without send any current to tracks? I am using to feed tracks a starter set with ms 2.

Or for this use I still needing a white transformer?

Or just an 6627 plastic case blue transformer is enough?

Thank you guys!

Offline kgsjoqvist  
#2 Posted : 28 May 2020 23:13:56(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Yes, you may use a blue trafo to control the turnouts. As long as it is on a separate circuit so it doesn’t connect to the digital power anywhere.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Joao Zilio  
#3 Posted : 28 May 2020 23:18:50(UTC)
Joao Zilio

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post
Yes, you may use a blue trafo to control the turnouts. As long as it is on a separate circuit so it doesn’t connect to the digital power anywhere.

Perfect, thank you. If I want to use it to feed catenaries in analog form, thats ok, right? Them I could share the tracks between analog and digital locos, digital by third rail and analog by catenaries.

Thanks!
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2020 23:19:44(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Joao Zilio Go to Quoted Post
Hi there!
Should be possible to use an old blue transformer only to control in analog way all turnouts and signal, without send any current to tracks?

Yes, it is possible.

First picture shows a cabling of light, solenoid articles (like turnout, signal) are controlled in an analogue way with a control box and an analogue transformer. Besides you see the digital connection to your layout with a MS 2

Second picture shows a cabeling connecting only the light (L = yellow cable colour) to the analogue transformer. It has the advantage you can dim the lights of your houses, station, etc. Your solenoid articles are toggled digitally with a decoder by the MS 2.

Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 28 May 2020 23:41:56(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have been running my set up for 4 years like TEEWolf has shown. The only thing common is the earth return. Works well. I have a diagram on my wall to help identify the point I want to change. 30 points in total so far. A can easily unplug the MS2's I am using and transfer the control to 3 other blue transformers.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 29 May 2020 11:34:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jao
Welcome to the forum
Only one important advice: make sure your power cord is in good condition as some old Märklin transfos power cords were using rubber insulator (on 280 transformers 1947-1955).
I have opened multiple Märklin transfos and they are excellent quality even the blue ones.
Cheers
Jean
Offline PMPeter  
#7 Posted : 29 May 2020 15:19:55(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Regarding the comment in a previous post:

"Second picture shows a cabeling connecting only the light (L = yellow cable colour) to the analogue transformer. It has the advantage you can dim the lights of your houses, station, etc." Please explain since the "L" output is at a fixed voltage.
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#8 Posted : 30 May 2020 08:04:26(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
The first figure configuration is exactly what I have planned for my layout. I've read in another thread that the grounds for both analog and digital should be common. Should there be a horizontal black line connecting both systems in the figure? Is the answer:

A) Not needed
B) Recommended
C) It will lead to disastrous result

Thanks,
T
Offline PMPeter  
#9 Posted : 30 May 2020 18:25:20(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: MKOpSeattle Go to Quoted Post
The first figure configuration is exactly what I have planned for my layout. I've read in another thread that the grounds for both analog and digital should be common. Should there be a horizontal black line connecting both systems in the figure? Is the answer:

A) Not needed
B) Recommended

Thanks,
T

In my opinion I would chose B). I have connected the grounds from all of my power supplies.
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 30 May 2020 22:09:35(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: MKOpSeattle Go to Quoted Post

A) Not needed
B) Recommended

Thanks,
T

The answer is

D) can be, must not.BigGrin

The ground can easily be shared by analogue and digital operation. Important: digital decoders for the turnouts cannot be used in this case. They never be allowed supplied with an analogue switchover voltage.
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 30 May 2020 22:15:54(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Please explain since the "L" output is at a fixed voltage.

Why is the "L" output at a transformer at a fixed voltage? Maerklin transformers are used for variable voltage.
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 30 May 2020 22:42:43(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Why is the "L" output at a transformer at a fixed voltage?

Ask Märklin why; but it is fixed, since it's used for light etc. ( L = Licht ) BigGrin

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Maerklin transformers are used for variable voltage.

Yes, on the red "B" output ( B = Bahn )

Per.

P.S: It would be rather stupid if the brightness of lights in houses etc. were dependent of the speed of the trains............... LOL

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 01 June 2020 19:47:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

Aahhh, sorry Peter, you are correct and I was wrong. Sometimes I do not see the forest because of all its trees.BigGrin

Indeed yellow provides only a constant voltage of 16V. Would be pretty hard for dimming the lights then. Do you agree using the red output? It provides a voltage between 0 and 16 V for the dimming process by using the control knob.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline PMPeter  
#14 Posted : 01 June 2020 21:29:48(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
No problem Wolfgang. We all make mistakes sometimes, and it is nice when someone admits it.

Yes I agree that if you used the blue transformer only for lighting you could adjust the brightness by using the red "B" terminal and the control knob. However, if you are using the transformer to control trains as well, then that would not be ideal because the lighting would change with the speed adjustments as already pointed out by Purellum.

Peter