Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ajayrav  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2020 17:50:26(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
So the instruction manuals suggest oiling the wheel axles. Wouldn't that affect pickup from the contacts; or is the oil to be used conductive?

Thanks,
Ajay
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2020 21:43:56(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
The operating manuals that I have seen, suggest that one oils the gear on the axel and not the axel itself.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline ajayrav  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2020 23:24:11(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Carim, that would make sense. but if you look at the manuals for 81352 BR80 or 88771 V36 they have 6 arrows for oil one on either side of each axle.

Thanks,
Ajay
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2020 23:46:13(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hey guys

You are right, the steamers tend to have the lower cover plate closed in. No gears are visible. The exception is the br 89 and perhaps others. Since this is the way it is, I expect, drops are added at each axle and it must be drawn into the gearbox from there.

Getting back to the original question. It might depend on which oil is being used. I use Labelle’s. On the insert provided with their product, it says the 107 and 108 oils are excellent electrical conductors. It goes on to say that locos may run better if the oil was applied to the rails.

I have never tried this suggestion on the rails

Best wishes.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Carim  
#5 Posted : 19 May 2020 11:32:04(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ajayrav Go to Quoted Post
.... but if you look at the manuals for 81352 BR80 or 88771 V36 they have 6 arrows for oil one on either side of each axle.

I don't have these models, but from the V36 manual it looks like there are gears directly behind the wheels and the arrows seem to pont to them. I agree the BR80 manual looks rather vague.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline ajayrav  
#6 Posted : 21 May 2020 19:24:18(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ajayrav Go to Quoted Post
.... but if you look at the manuals for 81352 BR80 or 88771 V36 they have 6 arrows for oil one on either side of each axle.

I don't have these models, but from the V36 manual it looks like there are gears directly behind the wheels and the arrows seem to pont to them. I agree the BR80 manual looks rather vague.

Carim

Actually, I did open the V36 up.... the gears are centrally located, there are no gears directly behind the wheels. What makes sense is the oil used is conductive and lubricates as well....

Thanks,
Ajay

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ajayrav
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 21 May 2020 22:28:17(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
A tip which some people might find useful, is that the Labelle 108 bottle has a standard syringe fitting, so you can fit a very fine blunt syringe needle (I bought a bag of 100 30 gauge needles, on ebay for a couple of pounds) for very precise dispensing of oil.

That said, a couple of recent purchases I've made seem to have been absolutely flooded with oil, so Marklin's idea of "sparingly" is obviously quite different from mine!

Hope this is of help.

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton