Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2020 09:04:45(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,

It is raining outside, we have 10mm in the last 12 hours.
It is rather nice as we have not seen rain since about late February.

So I have time to peruse catalogues and internet sites, and Youtube.
Container trains and well-car trains with trailers (LKW Walters, Winner Spedition etc) feature on Youtube movies of modern freight trains.
I notice that for era VI Märklin do a nice range of flat cars for containers, and well-cars for the trailers usually hauled by road tractors/prime movers.
But Märklin seem to model only one type of well-car.

That is the Sdgkms, which is a 4 axle car.
This was modelled way back in 2003 (see 47443 MHI).
So Märklin have stuck with the one design for all these years.
The latest iterations are for example the 47110, to be released this year.

I am wondering if there are other designs that Märklin might model.
For one, Märklin do not do the later articulated well-cars of 6 axle, such as the Sdggmrss which is modeled in N gauge by REE.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Online mario54i  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2020 11:40:20(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
There are many 6 axles articulated well cars made by others that run perfectly on Märklin rails.
I can recommend
Rocky Rail twin
Roco Type Sdggmrs
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2020 13:13:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Mario,

Thanks so much for the links - I like the Rocky Rails version which I see in many of the railway videos.
The price seems very reasonable too.

Regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 21 May 2020 15:34:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have a few of the Rocky Rails Twin cars, with Ferrymasters, Gruber, T.T.S., Samskip and Wetron loads. The cars can be used with suitable trailers as well as with containers with sockets.
I fixation for the trailers requires that the truck undercarriage be equipped with a socket. These cars cannot be used with any of my Herpa or AWM trailers.

The Piko T-3000 car can be used with regular Herpa trailers.

The Roco T-2000 requires the use of Roco's own containers. I have two of these cars, both outfitted with containers, so I cannot comment on whether the Roco trailer loads are compatible with others. The T-3 is basically a half T-2000 and has the same system.

The Maerklin 47440 type T1 today can still be seen with container loads, but are not used for trailers anymore due to increased load size. More and more, these older cars have been replaced by newer types.

I also have a few of the Kombimodell cars, which have very interesting loads and can be used with most different types of trailers/containers, but I have had bad experiences with damage to models on delivery.

I am looking forward to the PT Trains adapters which will allow me to use a wider selection of container types on the Maerklin 4707X type Sgnss.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 21 May 2020 23:20:46(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks for your observations Mike.
I get now that the Märklin T car is a bit dated.
I will research further the PIKO and the others.

Regards
Kimball
Offline DV  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2020 03:13:38(UTC)
DV

Australia   
G'day Kimball

I'm also greatly enamored with Double Deep Well Cars, so much so that I have managed to collect at least 16 of them, which I believe is the amount that they run in real life (having seen them on many youtube videos, particularly Wolpo Video), and having a club, I can run all 16 on the layout.

I have also collected a few Single Deep Well cars, all being from Roco.

As can be seen on this youtube video of a range of double and single cars:-

In the description part of the video I have listed the make and catalogue number of each wagon being run.

In this video another four have been added

Hope you enjoy them.
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2020 10:18:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Dusan,
Thanks for the video links, grest viewing.

That C track sure makes track-laying simple and it is alway such smooooth running. Cool

By the way, I do not know my way around Youtube very well, so I have to ask how do I see "the description part of the video"?

regards
Kimball
Online mario54i  
#8 Posted : 22 May 2020 12:56:48(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Just watch the video on YouTube, clicking on YouTube on the lower right side. A text appears below the video, click on show more and the list of rolling stock appears.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 28 May 2020 02:17:34(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
For one, Märklin do not do the later articulated well-cars of 6 axle, such as the Sdggmrss which is modeled in N gauge by REE.

Kimball

OK thanks for all the input on this subject.
And thanks Mario for illuminating that trick on Youtube.

After persuing the available models in various brands, and reading some of the limitations, I have ordered one set of the Piko Sdggmrss (so called T3000 set) 6 axle articulated wagons.

But while running a few Märklin Taschenwagen on a HO scale train, I observe that the wagons are hardly noticeable under the loads (containers/trailers) which are more prominent and colorful.
In other words, whether the models are single Sdgkms 4 axle car or the later 6 axle articulated types hardly matters at this scale.
And on my small layout, I don't know whether I will be bothered hunting down any further 6 axle types unless Märklin happen to make them.

As in much of my modelling journey with continental Europe in HO, I come to the simple conclusion that Märklin do actually know what they are doing.
Their models in manufacture and presentation generally come up tops in many respects.

Kimball

Edited by user 28 May 2020 06:42:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 03 June 2020 01:11:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
As an ongoing project, I have the following to report regarding the Piko T3000 Taschenwagen which I have now received.

The Piko Taschenwagen model (54775) is a type Sdggmrss 738.
The wagon will definitely accept the trailers (Herpa) which come with the Märklin or Trix Taschenwagen sets (example Trix 24548).

I did not bother changing the wheelsets because it ran perfectly on my C track layout, very smooth and silent.
This articulated car is a die-cast metal production with fine detail, some of which is added as plastic inserts or parts.
It is extremely well painted and lettered.
I particularly liked the operability of the fold-in tabs which allows the car to support containers of various lengths.
However please be aware this car will not accept the containers which come with Märklin sets (example 47800) because the pin/hole spacings are 1.5mm different in both length and width.

I will post this as a separate review.

Kimball
Online mario54i  
#11 Posted : 03 June 2020 09:35:55(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

I did not bother changing the wheelsets because it ran perfectly on my C track layout, very smooth and silent.

I had to change wheels to make it run on K rails, derailments on double long switches were frequent.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mario54i