Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roland  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2020 23:10:29(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Quick question for the experts. This is in the context of k-track and a computer controlled layout in case it's relevant.

For a hidden yard (Schattenbahnhof) with one-way traffic only, do you bother with switch solenoids (75491) and the associated decoders for switches on the exiting side of the yard? Given they will never direct traffic, is there a benefit to spending the money which for a larger yard can add up to quite a lot? Has anyone experienced derailment issues? Anything else to be mindful of (possibly related to computer control)? These switches would be hidden so visual appeal isn't a concern.

I ask because I'm trying to decide if I go with 2265/2266 or 2262/2263 switches.

Thanks,
Roland

My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2020 02:52:07(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Roland,

I did in my shadowyard, in case I later on wanted to reverse the setup.

But I believe it’s perfectly fine to let the switches be manual and just spring back in its original position.

Bear in mind though that sometimes a train exiting the shadowyard could drop a car. I would then just reverse in to the siding for recouping.

There is no issues in computer software to have manual switches or just use a dummy decoder address, unless you are using some sort of feedback to show the switches has moved.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Roland  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2020 03:16:13(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Roland,

I did in my shadowyard, in case I later on wanted to reverse the setup.

But I believe it’s perfectly fine to let the switches be manual and just spring back in its original position.

Bear in mind though that sometimes a train exiting the shadowyard could drop a car. I would then just reverse in to the siding for recouping.

There is no issues in computer software to have manual switches or just use a dummy decoder address, unless you are using some sort of feedback to show the switches has moved.

Best Regards
Lasse

Thank you Lasse. Both are good points regarding reversing.

Cheers,
Roland
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2020 04:19:20(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I set my exit switches even in my yards with one way traffic.

Reasons to do so:

1. You will run a train out and decide you want to reverse it back into the track. Now you have to set at least one turnout. This happens if for some reason you overshoot, or simply decide you ran the wrong train or whatever, you will want to stop and go back.
  2. Less chance of derailments. I run my trains in hidden areas faster to get them out of the way quicker, or to get them to the visible areas quicker.
  3. No additional human input needed when computer is setting everything

Reasons not to do so:

1. Expense of the additional motors
  2. Expense of the addition K83 type modules to drive the motors
  3. Installation effort

Consider if the exit ladder of turnouts is readily accessible for manual switching, for when you do need to reverse.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2020 07:46:52(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I think this question has been raised several times, but here goes again;

I NEVER use motors/relays on the out-points!
It´s more; I even remove the manual lever+spring completly, leaving the tounge to be positioned in the last positiong a through-going train forced it to.

In my main (visible) station, I have SEVERAL points where I directly DEPEND on the spring/manual lever to return the point to a specific direction, so that an on-coming train will be guided to the right track. I have 6 main through-going tracks in my (visible) station, but 4 of them (2 in each direction) will ever only be used in one specific direction!

In the old days -when M-track was king- there was even an article in a Märklin Magazine about RFWs (Rückfall Weichen), where all the tricks were shown and explained.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Bogenschütze  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2020 12:28:35(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
This is great advice. As a relatively newbie to the Marklin system, I had wanted to ask the same question myself as I had noted that a train seem to run perfectly well exiting through a turnout even when the blades were accidently set for the other track. However, I never got round to putting the question on the Forum as I subsequently witnessed that on most of the cabcam videos of really extensive layouts I watched on YouTube, the turnouts on the exit of a schattenbahnhof ladder were often not set and the trains just whistled through with no problems.
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2020 22:38:43(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
As evidence that there is a variety of ways to operate trains (you learn from other friends no doubt) my choice is to have all switches motorized-especially in hidden places.
My reasons are:
- in case I need to reverse manually a train, some of my shadow stations are hidden, using triple switches, etc
- in case I change my mind about the way to operate trains (with PC control and Rocrail) it is very easy to add new "routes" to enter shadow stations in any direction

Also, as you know, Märklin switch motors sometime fails (burn?) then I can for a moment "borrow" an exit switch motor to keep my operations OK during the time I need to get new ones.
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline applor  
#8 Posted : 22 May 2020 00:02:20(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post

For a hidden yard (Schattenbahnhof) with one-way traffic only, do you bother with switch solenoids (75491) and the associated decoders for switches on the exiting side of the yard?

I did not and no problems. I also removed the hand lever to remove any resistance.

One of my hidden yards has two stages, so both stages have one track that is left unoccupied so trains can travel through stage 1 to stage 2 etc.
For those I left the hand lever attached and set them to a the unoccupied track, so if something goes wrong and I need to reverse a train I can do so safely.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor