Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grafiksol  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2020 00:00:15(UTC)
grafiksol

United States   
I’m a current HO model railroading enthusiast, but totally new to and lacking knowledge of Marklin. Have been given a small set including a TP800 in pretty good condition and after cleaning wheels and lubricating drive gears seems to run well. I have learned there were .1, .2 & .3 versions over the years 1948,49 & 50. But so far unable to find how to identify my version or other relevant details. Might anyone have knowledge of the versions or a recommended model identification source?Engine3.jpgEngine2.jpgEngine5.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by grafiksol
Offline Roland  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2020 00:36:41(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
According to my Koll catalog there were two versions: 1823.1 and 1823.2. The only difference in the .2 version should the way in which the headlights are changed (from the front rather than the bottom).

Searching online, this site claims there were three versions as you stated. I would generally rely on Koll but not sure in this case.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2020 16:35:41(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: grafiksol Go to Quoted Post
I’m a current HO model railroading enthusiast, but totally new to and lacking knowledge of Marklin. Have been given a small set including a TP800 in pretty good condition and after cleaning wheels and lubricating drive gears seems to run well. I have learned there were .1, .2 & .3 versions over the years 1948,49 & 50. But so far unable to find how to identify my version or other relevant details. Might anyone have knowledge of the versions or a recommended model identification source?....

Definitely a TP 800 / version 2 only made 1 year in 1950

But this one looks like it is in **exceptionally good** condition.

Since it is a relatively rare item (It was one of the first so called "supermodel" that Märklin produced right after WW II...) handle it **with utmost care**, this is a true gem!

If the box still contains the original wrapper paper and cardboard and the instruction leaflet, you have a museum quality piece on your hand.

If you haven't noticed yet, it has a little special feature: the smoke box dor in front can open, showing the smoke tubes, and contains a little push button that can actuate the reversing relay.

They have fetched high prices on auctions, and with its present original condition, I would venture to say this one would be easily get into the +$1500 category

But again be careful, Zamac from those days was often of poor quality (mostly recycled material from WW II military gears...) and could be very brittle.
However this one is nice and smooth and shiny.

Lucky you!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Soest  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2022 18:41:30(UTC)
Soest

TP800

A recent addition to my vintage layout.

Mike
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.