Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline John Thackray  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2020 16:28:44(UTC)
John Thackray

United Kingdom   
Marklin 3090.JPG

I have just purchased this Marklin 3090 locomotive on eBay and assumed that someone had over-painted the brown camouflage onto the black body. However on receipt it appears original and the colour seems to be embedded in the plastic. I am convinced that the body colour is original. I have been collecting Marklin on and off for the past 65 years but have never come across this variation. Can anyone provide any information?

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by John Thackray
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2020 00:24:07(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
That's interesting John, I've never seen that myself, but if it's part of the plastic process, what does the body look like on the inside?, if it's a uniform single colour then it would point to a repaint, albeit rather well-done.

I have to admit, I have become rather taken with these lately. I have a couple of plain 3090, but none yet lettered for the mythical railroad "KLVM" "Kleine Loc von Märklin" what's not to love :-)
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2020 12:42:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: John Thackray Go to Quoted Post
Marklin 3090.JPG

I have just purchased this Marklin 3090 locomotive on eBay and assumed that someone had over-painted the brown camouflage onto the black body. However on receipt it appears original and the colour seems to be embedded in the plastic. I am convinced that the body colour is original. I have been collecting Marklin on and off for the past 65 years but have never come across this variation. Can anyone provide any information?

I have a suspicion this loco has had a hard life.

I think the brown paint is someones modification, witness how the brown appears to cover portions of the white lettering on the side of the cab.

It also looks like someone has drilled a hole in the chassis behind the rear wheel.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2020 13:05:31(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I am not an expert, but I have seen this camo in various and sundry applications (though not this one in particular):

e. g. (though this one is not the 3087/3090/3197 grouping and has the adler und kreuz)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worth...o-steam-engine-536059115

UserPostedImage

From whence they come I do not know. Mother M never did them on a full production (in catalogue) run for 3087 or 3090 or Primex 3197 (all the same creature and my favourite, by the way). Nor in the case of my example which is not the 3087 family, but is apparently "out there" also.

It looks like the number on John's is 3197 which would be the Primex number, so it is possible that some group had a short-run made in the Primex range to give/sell??

(most of the older KLVM range seem to have that wee hole on that side... Blushing )
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2020 14:21:30(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Jimmy I am very doubtful that Märklin did provide a TM800 version with the camouflage livery and Hakenkreuz in mid 1950 when the environment was clearly antinazi.
As to john's loco I agree with {kiwi}Alan, it looks like an airbrush job (definitely not a factory one).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2020 15:45:12(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Jean,

True that (I did think the h-k was a later decal, just an e.g. that somewhere there is someone doing camo on M Blushing ).

The more I look the more I tend to agree with the custom spray opinion - because of the slight over-spray noted by Alan on the "KLVM" and "3197"...Cool

Edited by user 02 May 2020 12:28:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
Offline John Thackray  
#7 Posted : 02 May 2020 02:50:00(UTC)
John Thackray

United Kingdom   
Thanks to you all. I will have to assume that this is an extremely good overpaint. Thanks for your views.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by John Thackray