Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dave Banks  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2020 09:28:43(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi all, I have just finally connected up my Coaling station #76510 & what a grand piece of apparatus it is. I can control all via my ESU Ecos 50200. I have it directly connected to track power. The one thing I cannot turn on & off is the Lights in the actual hopper terminal that is separate to the crane. Any ideas on that one short of having a toggle switch?

Example:

Thanks

Dave...
D.A.Banks
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2020 10:56:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Picture of my 76510 coaling crane. I was a bit slow in trying to get the extra coal bin addon and missed out as a result. Still, it's a great feature.

Layout_extn_0034.JPG

I haven't thought about modifying the crane to independently switch the lights, not sure if that can be done or not.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2020 11:40:48(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello David, I too wished I could have bought the extension when I could but it is what it is.

This is an ongoing project with no time line.I bought this crane new something like 15 yrs ago. Its sat on my layout for that time as an ornament. Today was the first time I connected it up. It ran flawlessly BigGrin

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

D.A.Banks
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Online JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2020 17:52:40(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dave
I am a huge fan of this item.
Alas the light near the hopper terminal are normally plugged to the track power and remain constantly on.
If you want to switch it you need to use a K 84 decoder.
Because I like it I have used it extensively and I already burned the decoder inside the crane multiple times.
The reason is the drivers for the 2 translation motors are undersized and any mechanical resistance in translation will result in burning the output transistor.
Here is a picture of it during surgery
UserPostedImage
Here is a video of the unit in operation

In my case I have no regret to have missed the extension set as my available space is "constrained"
Cheers
Jean
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Dave Banks  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2020 23:48:06(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Jean, Many thanks for your reply. How did you go about replacing the output transistor? Is this item easily sourced & something I could replace when faced with that problem? Has the light being on constantly in the hopper ever been a problem? With regards to the extension to be honest with you I too don't have the space. I see you have that beautiful french loco whereas I have the 08 1001 DR version.
D.A.Banks
Online JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 20 April 2020 11:52:55(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Dave
I started by replacing the PCB you see on the picture (it has all the drivers, some configuration logic and the decoder connector)
On the second and third failure I took a good component from the first PCB to repair the second.
The best is to avoid problems because this repair is very tricky.: no ballast around the crane (the translation motors get stuck very easily) and stop immediately when translation is bumping the buffer
Here is an old video about the use of the "Schauffel"

cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Online JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 20 April 2020 18:31:46(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Picture of my 76510 coaling crane. I was a bit slow in trying to get the extra coal bin addon and missed out as a result. Still, it's a great feature.

Layout_extn_0034.JPG

I haven't thought about modifying the crane to independently switch the lights, not sure if that can be done or not.

Hi If you are interested there is one for sale https://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-...77402:g:MqkAAOSwn2lenImI
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 20 April 2020 23:41:16(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
[Hello Jean, thanks for all your advice. I took mine off the rails yesterday & gave it a clean up & a drop of oil on the lower foot gears & cleaned the whole area up& not she operates whisper quiet & very smoothly. Standing on the layout all that time attracted a bit of dirt. I will be very mindful of not letting it run up against the buffers and straining.Thanks for all your great videos & helpful pictures.
D.A.Banks
Online JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 21 April 2020 17:09:23(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Dave
No problem I love this item
cheers Jean
Offline Legless  
#10 Posted : 22 June 2020 09:35:40(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dave
I am a huge fan of this item.
Alas the light near the hopper terminal are normally plugged to the track power and remain constantly on.
If you want to switch it you need to use a K 84 decoder.
Because I like it I have used it extensively and I already burned the decoder inside the crane multiple times.
The reason is the drivers for the 2 translation motors are undersized and any mechanical resistance in translation will result in burning the output transistor.
Here is a picture of it during surgery
UserPostedImage
Here is a video of the unit in operation

In my case I have no regret to have missed the extension set as my available space is "constrained"
Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean, have you thought about cutting through the earth rail near the ends and running a S88 on the ends.
That way when the crane comes to either end it would signal the S88 and if like me are running a CS3, you can set up an manual event to stop the power to the crane, therefore saving the decoder from being burnout.
Regards Mike
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Legless
Online JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 22 June 2020 23:48:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mike
This is not really practical: the power going to the crane is digital so you would cut all power. You cannot either insert a diode as you would with dc motorized units.
What I did is not perfect: I installed a small magnet and a reed contact (Faller car system stuff) so that to trigger an event that would stop the gantry when getting close to the end thanks to a Rocrail action (this could also be a CS2 or CS3 action / Itinerary). It is very similar to your idea.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Legless  
#12 Posted : 23 June 2020 08:03:50(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Hi Jean, you could make an event on the CS3 manual or auto.
If set in a manual mode, to power the crane again is just tapping the icon on the screen and the power is back on.
Regards Mike.
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
Online JohnjeanB  
#13 Posted : 23 June 2020 23:47:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi you all
Yes Mike You are right of course my solution is not 100% foolproof. The reason and my excuse: the model is too crowded to make wiring changes(all contacts pass through the rotary contacts because the decoder is in the cabin and my security logic is in Rocrail. Also the translation action is set with a maximum duration.
The only other change I did was to add an additional sensor on the cabin rotation position using a Faller Car System reed sensor and a magnet attached to the cabin.
The wiring is conventional and goes to an additional rail (along the Gantry rails) with a slider.
Here is how it looks Modified Coalbunker.jpg
It allows to position the coal grabbing device properly with a timer courtersy of Rocrail
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline applor  
#14 Posted : 26 June 2020 06:42:49(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
Hello David, I too wished I could have bought the extension when I could but it is what it is.

Heh wish you'd said something Dave. I had the 76511 expansion but not the main crane and decided it was too large a unit for my medium BW anyways and sold it a few years ago...
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Dave Banks  
#15 Posted : 26 June 2020 07:58:30(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Erik, I am crying but now its too late. It would not fit now on my & everything would be crammed in but I hope you got good coin for it Cool

Dave...
D.A.Banks