Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zme  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2020 06:32:12(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

Does anyone have any suggested troubleshooting steps regarding this set? It seems to run somewhat reliable in one direction but extremely poor or not at all in the other. Anyone had a similar problem, and how did you solve it?

Impressive set but is difficult to connect together. I probably am doing it wrong but will try it with the ramp for re-railing cars. Maybe someone has a better suggestion.

Thank you. Stay safe. Best wishes to all.
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2020 11:48:42(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I managed to break mine - so it went back to Germany & Märklin the day after I received it. I had tried to uncouple it and used too much force. Once it came back, it ran nicely, so none of the problems that you report. It still is quite difficult to couple/uncouple; I find you have to insert the first triangular bit of the coupler at quite an extreme (horizontal) angle, then give it a push forward and then get the second side in. Some seem to go in easier than others. Perhaps get a couple of spares because it sounds like you have an intermittent contact and this might come from a damaged coupler.

Carim
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2020 19:48:52(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Thanks. I was headed down the same path and would have this completely broken already. I had to set it aside and walk away twice. I will watch for some connectors, one seems damaged already. Did you lock in some of the connectors with those small horseshoe clips? I was thinking of permanently securing perhaps two and then work with the others.

Several years ago, I purchased an ICE 2nd class coach (88711) and set it aside in hopes I would get a train to added it to. I surprised myself when I was able to pick this one up
Nice set, smooth and quiet but the connector aspect seems it could be improved upon

Best wishes, take good care.
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2020 23:17:53(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
No, I did not lock in the connectors with those clips - the train ran fine on my layout without them. I may do it when my extension has been built because then my layout will switch from being portable to being semi-permanent and I will have some storage tracks where I can park my ICE units. I don't think it is a good idea to constantly be coupling and uncoupling these models.

One other thing to check is clearance on curves - the nose has quite a bit of overhang and got stuck on a shunting signal; luckily it was only a dummy signal and I could easily remove it.

Carim
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2020 22:41:20(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

Looks like I will need to add this set to a static display.

I cannot get these parts. Imagine, they don't cost much, but even at 6 Euros for 3 connectors, no one I have found will ship to USA. Even Marklin does not list America as a ship to country.

I should have seen this one coming.

Don't know when I will get this one going correctly.

If you have a suggestion of someone who might be able to help, it would be appreciate it.

Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2020 20:24:00(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Thank you Carim for your assistance with this.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 16 April 2020 21:13:42(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Hi

I cannot get these parts. Imagine, they don't cost much, but even at 6 Euros for 3 connectors, no one I have found will ship to USA. Even Marklin does not list America as a ship to country.

I should have seen this one coming.

Don't know when I will get this one going correctly.

If you have a suggestion of someone who might be able to help, it would be appreciate it.

Thanks

Have you tried lokmuseum.de? They have a good selection of spares and I'd imagine will ship to the US. What is the part number of the coupler?

All the best

Chris
Offline zscalehobo  
#8 Posted : 16 April 2020 23:36:09(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Hi

Thanks

E292215? I will get some on order. Didn't realize that there is now a 3rd ICE coupler. :( I have the other 2 already.

But hold on... I wonder if it's the same as 209287, which is now discontinued? I do have 209287.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 17 April 2020 05:32:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

Frank

I thought you might have your hands full at this time. Yes that is the part number.

I didn’t know I could, but I ordered two sets directly from Marklin and just today, it seems my order has already shipped. It turned out, on a laptop, the ship to countries list only includes countries from “A” to “E”. My IPad did not have this problem.

No worries from me I am okay on this.

I am not sure about that other part number. I know, the earlier ICE connectors were longer but look the same I other respects. I have one of the earlier carriages which has the connector, but with the earlier model there was a filler piece which fit between the cars, and hid the connector shaft. This model was redesigned in this regard. It has no filler. I don’t know if the parts you mention would work.

Thank you I appreciate your input Frank. Glad to hear from you.

You too Chris. I did contact another German vendor who had this part listed, be was told they could not ship to USA Or list on EBay. I will check lokmuseum.de just to know if they would be another source for this or other parts. It is good to have options. Marklin charges a lot in mailing but it is likely many are charging more now.

Best wishes, keep safe.
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 18 April 2020 19:29:54(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. I do not see this part listed on the https://www.lokmuseum.de website. I am sure they could order anything someone would need.

Shipping outside the EU is also possible.

Thanks.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#11 Posted : 18 April 2020 21:53:27(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hello. I do not see this part listed on the https://www.lokmuseum.de website. I am sure they could order anything someone would need.

Shipping outside the EU is also possible.

Thanks.

I saw they have a few of the "unusual" couplers, but not this one, I'm afraid. Glad you have managed to get some on order with Marklin in Germany, though, and it seems Frank is able to help if the need crops up again.

Marklin have reduced their shipping charges (to the UK, at any rate) over the last year or so and are more accessible as a result. Lokmuseum are consistently more competitively priced, though, and their shipping charges are lower. I've made several spares orders with them and have been extremely happy with the service.

Cheers

Chris
Offline Zme  
#12 Posted : 19 April 2020 02:51:28(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

It is possible once out of the EU, England may not get favored shipping charges.

I am going to get my parts list together and when I order from Marklin, combine more items to take advantage of the cost of shipping. When I look at the various websites, for international shipping, they all seem to have the same basic charge.

The items I ordered are small enough to fit in a letter envelope. I just looked at my invoice and discovered I paid nearly 30 Euros just for the shipping on a 12 Euro order, but what can I do. I expect if a different vendor was put in-between me and Marklin, I would have to spend more but I don't know if this is true.

Not a complaint, just a comment. Although I have yet to receive my order, it is comforting to know it is on its way, and I now have a method to get other parts in the future.

Ours can be an expensive hobby from time to time.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#13 Posted : 19 April 2020 22:07:24(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

It is possible once out of the EU, England may not get favored shipping charges.

We can add that to the list of self-inflicted injuries...

The items I ordered are small enough to fit in a letter envelope. I just looked at my invoice and discovered I paid nearly 30 Euros just for the shipping on a 12 Euro order, but what can I .do.
Dwight

Marklin always seem to ship spares in an oversized cardboard box. I once ordered a few packs of motor brushes and this is how they came! I suppose it guarantees no damage in transit, but the packaging is excessive and, of course, we have to pay for it!

It is one of the problems of modelling in what is a niche scale, I suppose, but can be very frustrating at times. Still, I expect when your ICE train is running beautifully it will all be forgotten. That's how it works for me, anyway!

All the best

Chris
Offline Zme  
#14 Posted : 19 April 2020 23:22:09(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. I agree, when the problem is solved , the price will be forgotten until a new problems crops up.

Take good care

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#15 Posted : 20 April 2020 19:17:20(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi. I agree, when the problem is solved , the price will be forgotten until a new problems crops up.

Take good care

Dwight

Yes, I've concluded that Z scale has a lot in common with owning an Alfa Romeo. When everything is running OK, you're the happiest person alive. And then...

Take care yourself, all the best

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Zme  
#16 Posted : 20 April 2020 20:06:50(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

I needed that one! What a good laugh.

I believe I paid about $10.00 for each one of those little connectors.

I did get a spare which I think I will put in a display case, so I can amaze visitors.

Take good care.
Offline Zme  
#17 Posted : 24 May 2020 16:11:11(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

I finally received the connectors and bottom line, it is working properly. Great set!

Don't ask me, I forget what I paid already.

Thanks everyone. ThumpUp

Best wishes
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline parakiet  
#18 Posted : 24 May 2020 22:25:46(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

Take good care

Dwight

Yes, I've concluded that Z scale has a lot in common with owning an Alfa Romeo. When everything is running OK, you're the happiest person alive. And then...

Take care yourself, all the best

Chris

wasn't this on the old top gear? :)