Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2020 20:56:27(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I've been working on my 88962 BR 86 locomotive recently. Mostly I've been adding some extra weight which has improved its traction from "pathetic" to "poor", but at least it is now capable of pulling a plausible train around my layout so I'm mostly happy with the improvement.

I've also painted the motor black which has improved the appearance no end - I no longer get those flashes of silver as it goes round my layout.

However, when I was cleaning the pickups and wheels this morning, one of the coupling rod pins worked itself loose from the wheel. After the requisite amount of swearing I managed to get everything back in place and the loco is running well again, but I am concerned it will work itself loose again.

My question, then, for the Z Scale experts here is whether the pins are just push-fit in the wheels or if I should add a spot of super-glue to hold it in place?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and warm regards to everyone - whatever part of the world in which you're currently confined to quarters!

Chris
Offline bph  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2020 23:43:49(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
Before you glue, you might consider trying a threadlocker. eg something like LOCTITE 222.
I’m not fan of it, but its better than using super glue, if you have to use something.
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2020 16:03:30(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

It would seem to me these pins are a “press in” solution.

Absent damage, they should be able to be reinserted. I am not certain if they are ever glued in, and I don’t know if this is a good solution. Take a good look at them, perhaps just press them back in. If they are damaged in some way, replacement may be necessary if you can find them. Once you have a replacement, perhaps then you could experiment with the glue or whatever. I have found, if I try something and it doesn’t work, it is more difficult to reverse the damage caused by what I thought was a solution. If that makes sense.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it is when something goes wrong when working on these jewels. I always say, no risk no reward but it still hurts.

Best wishes, hope all goes well. Take good care.

Edited by user 12 April 2020 06:32:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2020 22:19:40(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Hello

It would seem to me these pins are a “press in” solution.

Absent damage, the should be able to be reinserted. I am not certain if they are ever glued in, and I don’t know if this is a good solution. Take a good look at them, perhaps just press them back in. If they are damaged in some way, replacement may be necessary if you can find them. Once you have a replacement, perhaps then you could experiment with the glue or whatever. I have found, if I try something and it doesn’t work, it is more difficult to reverse the damage caused by what I thought was a solution. If that makes sense.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it is when something goes wrong when working on these jewels. I always say, no risk no reward but it still hurts.

Best wishes, hope all goes well. Take good care.

That was my concern exactly - didn't want to do something irreversible! My concern stems from a loco I had with a similar problem, which I put right - in "press-fit" terms only for it to go wrong again. In the end I returned the loco and got a replacement, or maybe it was repaired by Marklin? Who knows?

In the absence of anyone telling me they regularly glue the things in place, I'm not going to risk it!

Cheers!

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2020 05:09:25(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
There is a fellow in Germany who posts regularly on Trainboard website forums, his business is eXact Modelbau. If anyone knows the correct answer it is him!
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2020 05:14:26(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2020 18:11:47(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
And regarding thread locker, there is one, a green color, that is designed to be used as a glue and often in press fit type assemblies.