Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2019 21:00:43(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
This is a promotional SNCB livery for reducing road transport and therefore pollution:-) available 2nd quarter 2020?
https://www.huenerbein.d...3-mfx%2B-ep.vi-2mk1.html

Edited by user 17 November 2019 14:45:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline mmervine  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2019 13:57:48(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
pretty cool wrap/paint job!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline danmarklinman  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2019 14:45:15(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post

MFX +? As wellLove
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2019 17:31:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
36643 sounds like the number for a Hobby model. This will be one of the metal bodied Traxx locomotives, similar to the Lineas 36644 186, the BLS Cargo (486) 36624 and similar recent models with sound and mfx.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline danmarklinman  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2019 19:28:25(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
36643 sounds like the number for a Hobby model. This will be one of the metal bodied Traxx locomotives, similar to the Lineas 36644 186, the BLS Cargo (486) 36624 and similar recent models with sound and mfx.

Regards

Mike C

Yes it will be. I have four, including the lineas, despite being Hobby models they run well.
36618 and 36643 are both on my list👍😁
My Marklin Lineas model 36644 see here
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2019 04:05:30(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post

MFX +? As wellLove

Could be. See these locos.

This Traxxx has a mfx+ decoder, but only the carriage is made by metal.

https://www.maerklin.de/...te/details/article/37447

where as these Traxx models are all equipped with a metal carriage and body, but have a mfx decoder

https://www.maerklin.de/...te/details/article/36629

https://www.maerklin.de/...te/details/article/36638
already a Traxx 3 loco

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/36639/

After Maerklin opened the mfx - but not the mfx+ - track format for all producer and suppliers for model locomotives, at a digital day I asked the Maerklin employee about the remaining differences between mfx and mfx+. It is only the energy consumption value. At the moment it is worthwhile to consider either mfx+ and a plastic body or mfx with a full metal body and carriage.
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2019 15:46:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

where as these Traxx models are all equipped with a metal carriage and body, but have a mfx decoder

already a Traxx 3 loco

After Maerklin opened the mfx - but not the mfx+ - track format for all producer and suppliers for model locomotives, at a digital day I asked the Maerklin employee about the remaining differences between mfx and mfx+. It is only the energy consumption value. At the moment it is worthwhile to consider either mfx+ and a plastic body or mfx with a full metal body and carriage.

It is not just about the plastic body on some models, but a higher level of detail (multi coloured roof elements, coloured brake discs) to name a few.
I got my first one (22631 Re 482) from Trix and followed it up with a 22636 (Crossrail 185). I have since performed shell swaps with 37446 Re 482 with the poor paint job and now have two beautiful loks with sound.

The plastic shelled loks have much more detail compared to the molded metal ones that started out life as hobby models. I am not a fan of the decision to pimp these models and sell them for the price of full feature models. The newest models in the pimped out hobby models (Siemens Vectron) don't even have separate hand rails.

Regards

Mike C
Offline danmarklinman  
#8 Posted : 18 November 2019 17:22:56(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

already a Traxx 3 loco

It is not just about the plastic body on some models, but a higher level of detail (multi coloured roof elements, coloured brake discs) to name a few.
I got my first one (22631 Re 482) from Trix and followed it up with a 22636 (Crossrail 185). I have since performed shell swaps with 37446 Re 482 with the poor paint job and now have two beautiful loks with sound.

The plastic shelled loks have much more detail compared to the molded metal ones that started out life as hobby models. I am not a fan of the decision to pimp these models and sell them for the price of full feature models. The newest models in the pimped out hobby models (Siemens Vectron) don't even have separate hand rails.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike I know you are not a fan, but the Marklin Vectron does indeed have separate metal hand rails? on the front ,I have one?
I love my hobby loks, even if purists don’t. I don’t care if they haven’t got all there rivets. They run far better than the £300.00 Brawa model I bought? It ran like a 70s triangLOL LOL Mad
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline DasBert33  
#9 Posted : 10 April 2020 07:48:09(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Maybe the latest Lineas livery will be available somewhere in the future as well?

https://photos.google.co...UF81OW1YZzE0cWR4WXlkd0Rn

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 10 April 2020 15:47:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

Hi Mike I know you are not a fan, but the Marklin Vectron does indeed have separate metal hand rails? on the front ,I have one?
I love my hobby loks, even if purists don’t. I don’t care if they haven’t got all there rivets.

https://www.haertle.de/o...go-mfx-sound-h0-1(1).jpg

Yes, the lok has two handrails on each side of the cab fronts. I was referring to the three handrails on the face of the locomotive and the handrails adjacent to the access doors, which are simply molded into the model.

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 9.50.55 AM.jpeg

Personally, it would probably make more sense to have had actual railings for the doors and had an integrated part on the front sides, as those railings are more exposed and vulnerable to damage in transport and in the box.

The hobby loks originally went for 59.- which very quickly became 89.- or 99-. That could be explained due to the cost of 4 instead of 2 pantos. It then went up to 129.- and then all of a sudden they added sound and the price went up to 189.- to 249.-

That is almost the price of a real locomotive. Given the choice, I would prefer the 37446 and 39863 real models to any pimped up hobby models.

What irritates me is that Maerklin does not even offer it's customers to have a real model of many new locomotive types, giving us the "Hobby or nothing" option and in my case, that usually means that Roco wins out.

What I would love to see is for Maerklin to keep the Hobby line and to still support those modellers who want a little bit higher detail.

Regards

Mike C
Offline danmarklinman  
#11 Posted : 10 April 2020 19:07:17(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

I love my hobby loks, even if purists don’t. I don’t care if they haven’t got all there rivets.

https://www.haertle.de/o...go-mfx-sound-h0-1(1).jpg

Yes, the lok has two handrails on each side of the cab fronts. I was referring to the three handrails on the face of the locomotive and the handrails adjacent to the access doors, which are simply molded into the model.

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 9.50.55 AM.jpeg

Personally, it would probably make more sense to have had actual railings for the doors and had an integrated part on the front sides, as those railings are more exposed and vulnerable to damage in transport and in the box.

The hobby loks originally went for 59.- which very quickly became 89.- or 99-. That could be explained due to the cost of 4 instead of 2 pantos. It then went up to 129.- and then all of a sudden they added sound and the price went up to 189.- to 249.-

That is almost the price of a real locomotive. Given the choice, I would prefer the 37446 and 39863 real models to any pimped up hobby models.

What irritates me is that Maerklin does not even offer it's customers to have a real model of many new locomotive types, giving us the "Hobby or nothing" option and in my case, that usually means that Roco wins out.

What I would love to see is for Maerklin to keep the Hobby line and to still support those modellers who want a little bit higher detail.

Regards

Mike C

Hi I do understand your irritation to Marklin with there hobby loks, but this is not an area we’re I believe Marklin sells most of its models. There main sales area, I’ve been told. Is era three and four. So investing in high end tooling for modern locos may not make a lot of sense. Which might explain about Roco current problems? Looking at the hand rails, The head light hand rail is made of wire, as I’ve said I have one? The rest as you have said is moulded. To be fair. If you have a layout to run your trains on. It’s very likely you might brake of these hand rails if they were plastic, don’t you think?
The new class 66 EMD may be anther loco which is the same level of detail as the Vectron? Don’t expect it to be super detailed? I understand that Märklin are currently looking at tooling an accurate model of a br186!! Again I would imagine as the Vectron. Personally I think there good value. They run very smoothly. And are very reliable after many hours of use.
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 11 April 2020 16:13:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have not done research on what models/what eras drive the most sales.
I can tell you with certainty that focusing on Era III and Era IV is putting all of your eggs in an ever aging basket of older modellers.
In order to make models that might have appeal to a newer generation, they have to put a little more effort into current models, after all, people want to model trains that they identify with.

The key for the model train industry is to have a healthy "hobby" series aimed at young children (5-10). Most of those clients will drift away over time, as they become more familiar with computers and new technology. The hope for each model train company is that at some point, these clients will experience nostalgia for model trains and may at some point reenter the hobby when they get older, have disposable income and rekindle their love of trains. At that point, those modellers will expect quality models and not just toys. Brands that do not recognize this will lose those customers to brands who get it.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 11 April 2020 16:15:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Returning this thread to it's original topic about Lineas Traxx locomotives, I read today that Lineas has introduced a Traxx locomotive with a white and turquoise livery.
No news on a HO model yet.

https://www.gva.be/cnt/d...om-corona-helden-te-eren

Regards

Mike C
Offline DasBert33  
#14 Posted : 11 April 2020 19:19:39(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
You clearly missed my earlier post. Better pictures here: https://photos.google.co...UF81OW1YZzE0cWR4WXlkd0Rn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline DasBert33  
#15 Posted : 11 April 2020 20:07:27(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
I just noticed, in the first pictures the text says "WeareInThisTogether". The last pictures have "WeAreInThisTogether", with capital 'A'. Did someone screw up and did they fix it, or are the 2 sides different?
Offline danmarklinman  
#16 Posted : 12 April 2020 09:32:12(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I have not done research on what models/what eras drive the most sales.
I can tell you with certainty that focusing on Era III and Era IV is putting all of your eggs in an ever aging basket of older modellers.
In order to make models that might have appeal to a newer generation, they have to put a little more effort into current models, after all, people want to model trains that they identify with.

The key for the model train industry is to have a healthy "hobby" series aimed at young children (5-10). Most of those clients will drift away over time, as they become more familiar with computers and new technology. The hope for each model train company is that at some point, these clients will experience nostalgia for model trains and may at some point reenter the hobby when they get older, have disposable income and rekindle their love of trains. At that point, those modellers will expect quality models and not just toys. Brands that do not recognize this will lose those customers to brands who get it.

Regards

Mike C

Hi, all being said. I am quite tempted to have a Roco 186!!
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 12 April 2020 17:34:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am very happy with my Roco 186 (186 101) Railpool/BLS. Unlike my Vectrons, this model is one from the prior production design without sound, so it would take a little effort to match the settings to run it in tandem with one of the sound loks. The 186 is usually assigned to one of my KLV trains.

I was not happy that Roco never released a model of a Crossrail 186. I did not opt for the ACME model. I decided instead to limit my Crossrail train to the period when they still ran 185s to Chiasso/Domodossola and other loktypes handled the run into Italy.

As more and more of the older series are phased out, we will see more and more of the new designs taking over. Based on what I have noted, it seems to me that in most of Europe, the Vectron is now leading the pack. My impression is that Siemens has been more successful with that new series than Bombardier has been with the newest Traxx loks. Where, in the past, it was almost equally divided between Traxx (185, 186) and EuroSprinter (185, 182, 189), many companies seem to have chosen the Siemens product, especially for multi system operation.

BLS has ordered Vectrons, and has not seemed to make any final purchase of the Traxx 187.
SBB is now completing it's second order of Vectron locomotives (LokRoll and Suedleasing).
RailCare ordered Vectrons to replace it's leased Traxx 186s.

In Germany, the Vectrons have been well received, as appears to be the case in Austria.
Belgium has finally approved the Vectron for operation there, which will open up new routes for companies using those locomotives.

When it comes down to equal locomotives, then price and terms make the difference.
When it comes down to performance, I suspect that the companies will still choose the model that best suits their needs over cost.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline danmarklinman  
#18 Posted : 12 April 2020 17:46:36(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
It will be interesting to see which company takes up use of Vectrons in Belgium! Will SNCB lease them, as it looks like they lease most of there 186?
Do you have any issues with coupling to Marklin stock with the Roco 186?
I assume you use C track?
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 13 April 2020 14:54:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I assume that the among the first operators to obtain the permission to operate their Vectrons in Belgium will be BLS Cargo (Crossrail) and SBB Cargo International.
DB Schenkel also operates Vectrons, but I don't know much about their operation in Belgium. At one point, they were working with B Logistics (Lineas).

I presume that other operators may lease Vectrons for use in Belgium if needed for international operations.

It is interesting to see how long it has taken, especially given that the Vectron is the successor developed from the EuroSprinter/Taurus line and elements introduced for the SNCB Class 19, from which the series inherited it's body shape and design.

Regarding the Roco Traxx, my earliest Re 482s operate with Maerklin 7203. On some of the more recent models, I have used the Roco Universal Coupler instead. I have not seen any major issues, as my rolling stock is from varied companies.

Regards

Mike C
Offline danmarklinman  
#20 Posted : 14 April 2020 21:38:55(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
This is a promotional SNCB livery for reducing road transport and therefore pollution:-) available 2nd quarter 2020?
https://www.huenerbein.d...3-mfx%2B-ep.vi-2mk1.html

This item is now cancelled by Marklin. Apparently they are re tooling the BR186. I assume it will be like the Vectron models? I doubt that we will see it this year thoughLOL
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan